BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Books, Magazines, Publications, Video & DVD (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Your most anticipated futures books (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=333998)

Melanie Wednesday 26th October 2016 13:29

Your most anticipated futures books

2017 will be a feast for bookworms.

It begins with the HBW and Birdlife Illustrated Checklist Vol 2. Passerines.
Than we have a second revised edition of Extinct Birds by Julian Pender Hume.
The most anticipated volume of the HMW will be published on the mouse-like rodents. (HMW 7: Rodents II)
And hopefully 2017 there will be the year of Hadoram Shirihai (when else?) with four books in the row: Birds of the Western Palearctic: A Photographic Guide, Field Guide of the Seabirds of the World, and the two volumes of Birds of the World.
Another interesting book project is The Last Quagga which will be published in Dutch this week. The author Reinier Spreen is currently working on an English translation for an international publishing which will be hopefully in 2017.

andyadcock Wednesday 26th October 2016 14:08

Argentina, Pearman................oh and HMW 6 which I doubt actually exists as I still haven't got one!

A

Swissboy Wednesday 26th October 2016 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyadcock (Post 3474658)
Argentina, Pearman................oh and HMW 6 which I doubt actually exists as I still haven't got one!

A

I hope you get HMW 6 before the Argentina books appear. It's a sad state of affairs in both cases!

As for the 2017 original topic: the Indonesia FG is likely to ship in the first months. I have no immediate plans to go there, but the book will definitely fill a painful void. Though the by far most important 2017 publication for me will be Vol. 2 of the Illustrated Checklist by Lynx. :t:

gdhunter Wednesday 26th October 2016 15:57

The Restall Ecuador guide is presumably within days or perhaps weeks of release.

andyadcock Wednesday 26th October 2016 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdhunter (Post 3474694)
The Restall Ecuador guide is presumably within days or perhaps weeks of release.

April on my regular website.

A

Papuan birder Wednesday 26th October 2016 16:40

Aim very much looking forward to the New Guinea guide by Phil Gregory as well as the new field guide to Venezuela.

andyadcock Wednesday 26th October 2016 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papuan birder (Post 3474710)
Aim very much looking forward to the New Guinea guide by Phil Gregory as well as the new field guide to Venezuela.

Venezuela, is this the David Ascano one?

I was with him last year, he told me that a new Tapaculo will be described for the first time in his book.

A

Melanie Wednesday 26th October 2016 17:13

Well, it is still not confirmed but maybe it will be published in 2017 too

Birds of Bolivia. Fieldguide by Sebastian K. Herzog and James V. Remsen, jr.

http://carlchristiantofte.blogspot.d....html?spref=fb

Fritz73 Wednesday 26th October 2016 18:19

Birds of Brazil by Zimmer & Whittaker

Or is this another ghost like the one for Argentina by Pearman?

Melanie Wednesday 26th October 2016 22:50

Flock Together: A Love Affair With Extinct Birds by B. J. Hollars (February 2017)

http://www.nhbs.com/title/210302/flock-together

Murray Lord Thursday 27th October 2016 08:25

I think the new CSIRO publishing Australian field guide should be out next year too.

temmie Thursday 27th October 2016 12:57

I would like to have the following:
Birds of China (a decent field guide)
Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)
Birds of Bolivia (same)
Birds of Brazil (a field guide with detailed art work)
Fieldguide of the Amazonian biome with detailed range maps including rivers etc.)

andyadcock Thursday 27th October 2016 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by temmie (Post 3475092)
Birds of China (a decent field guide)
Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)
Birds of Bolivia (same)
Birds of Brazil (a field guide with detailed art work)
Fieldguide of the Amazonian biome with detailed range maps including rivers etc.)

I think that the sheer volume of birds in Brazil, means that it's almost impossible to produce a 'field guide' in the traditional sense especially in the detail you / we would like?

Have you got Guia de Campo - Birds of Amazonian Brazil? It's a small book but illustrations are pretty good though range maps are small and not of that much use but it does illustrate what a challenge it is to produce such a book in a portable format.

All books for countries with such big lists will have to compromise somehow.

Andy

andyadcock Thursday 27th October 2016 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray Lord (Post 3474986)
I think the new CSIRO publishing Australian field guide should be out next year too.

Is there the market for another Australian guide?

A

Swissboy Thursday 27th October 2016 19:56

Quote:

That has an almost similar history as the Pearman Argentina one. With the obvious difference that there are great FGs presently available for Australia. So it will need to have a superb standard to succeed. Possibly part of the problem why it takes so long.

Swissboy Thursday 27th October 2016 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by temmie (Post 3475092)
....Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)

Well there actually IS a FG for the Argentina, just not one that satisfies present standards/requirements. But the Narosky-Yzurieta book was extremely helpful when I visited 11 years ago.

RobHynson Friday 28th October 2016 09:22

Quote:

Early 2017 according to one of the authors

Papuan birder Friday 28th October 2016 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyadcock (Post 3474718)
Venezuela, is this the David Ascano one?

I was with him last year, he told me that a new Tapaculo will be described for the first time in his book.

A

Yes it's that one. I also question the need for yet another Australian field guide whilst acknowledging that books from CSIRO Publishing tends to be of top quality (also tends to be very expensive).

Murray Lord Saturday 29th October 2016 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyadcock (Post 3475117)
Is there the market for another Australian guide?

A

It's a mystery to me why there would be; one would think with four available not counting photo guides the market would be pretty saturated. But a publisher has been paying a team to work on it for a few years, so they obviously think the answer is yes.

zoltannemeth Saturday 29th October 2016 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobHynson (Post 3475517)
Early 2017 according to one of the authors

any link for that particular book?

Also I am looking forward to this publication a lot

http://www.nhbs.com/title/163686/african-raptors

Swissboy Sunday 30th October 2016 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoltannemeth (Post 3476036)
Also I am looking forward to this publication a lot

http://www.nhbs.com/title/163686/african-raptors

To me, these types books are both very interesting but also too bulky to take into the field. Thus, mostly useful to check photos at home. So in a way it falls into the category that I most likely will have to refrain from buying.

Melanie Tuesday 20th December 2016 15:40

David Brewer: Birds New to Science: 50 Years of Avian Discoveries

Scheduled for September 2017

http://www.nhbs.com/title/207614/birds-new-to-science

John Cantelo Tuesday 20th December 2016 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papuan birder (Post 3474710)
Aim very much looking forward to the New Guinea guide by Phil Gregory ......

Me too - it's not every day an old mate who sat behind you in class has a field guide coming out. It's a fantastic effort - esp. as it's so unusual for a top FG to have but a single author these days - but Phil's a stickler for detail and it's bang up to date taxonomically. I'm rather pleased though that, if all goes well, I'll have just pipped him at the post by getting a book I've co-authored out just before him.

The book I most want to see otherwise is the new Oz guide if it comes up to the promised standard since, in my view, none of the current guides cut the post-Collins Bird Guide mustard. I exclude the photographic guide to WP birds on the grounds that it's clearly a myth ....

StevePreddy Wednesday 21st December 2016 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie (Post 3474642)
And hopefully 2017 there will be the year of Hadoram Shirihai (when else?) with four books in the row: Birds of the Western Palearctic: A Photographic Guide, Field Guide of the Seabirds of the World, and the two volumes of Birds of the World.

What's that oinking noise coming from the sky?

DMW Wednesday 21st December 2016 20:15

In addition to those mentioned above:

- A high quality Philippines field guide with up-to-date taxonomy,
- A West Africa field guide matching the quality of the Stevenson and Fanshawe guide to East Africa,
- I hope Phil Gregory's New Guinea guide meets expectations - I have found some of the illustrations in Pratt and Beehler 2nd edition surprisingly inaccurate in the field,
-I think there is zero need for another Australian field guide. While none of the available options are great, Australian birds provide relatively few identification challenges.
- I'm not sure a single comprehensive field guide for Brazil is all that desirable, for visiting birders at least. The WCS "biome" guides published so far are pretty good, and if you are doing a trip to the Atlantic Forest, for example, it's nice not to have to wade through dozens of e.g. Amazonian species.