BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Saturday 19th January 2013 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2641877)
Two patch ticks in a day? Thats not bad going mate :t:

Not quite Phil - had a Woodcock fly out from briar mill coppice a couple of years ago. Well chuffed with today's birds though. :t:

Woodchat Sunday 20th January 2013 12:50

Another year-tick this morning - 3 Common Gulls flew over (2 adults, 1 first winter).

5 Common Snipes fed amongst winter thrushes in a snow-covered damp field between Salwarpe and Ladywood.

A single Lapwing flew over Coney Meadow plus a flock of 37 Canada Geese (+1 white Domestic 'farmyard' Goose).

Also recorded today: 25+ Siskins, Kestrel, Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Cormorant, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Stock Dove, Grey Wagtail, Bullfinches, Mistle Thrush, Jay and House Sparrow.

So far, I have recorded 60 species this year on the patch.

Birder Gladys Sunday 20th January 2013 20:25

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...oitwich_brook/
just thought this may affect the area,hopfully not

Woodchat Monday 21st January 2013 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2642894)
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...oitwich_brook/
just thought this may affect the area,hopfully not

Hi Gladys,

The Elmbridge brook is up towards Cutnall Green - so unlikely to affect the watercourses around south Droitwich. Still not good news though. :t:

Woodchat Saturday 26th January 2013 15:42

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of Skylarks today - dozens of them flying over and others feeding in the fields. The largest flock contained 45+ birds and another contained 21.

The fields too (especially the setaside) were full of winter thrushes, Meadow Pipits, Pied Wagtails and Starlings.

Other birds noted were 1 Common Gull, Kingfisher, 2 Ravens, Mistle Thrushes, 2 Redpolls over, Siskins, Water Rail, Jays, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Sparrowhawk and Buzzards.

Dunnocks, Coal Tits and Great Tits were in full song and the first spring flowers are starting to bloom - a very welcome sight and sound. Spring is on its way at last :t:

Mary Saturday 26th January 2013 17:43

Love those Snowdrops and Primroses, Woodchat! Really cheered me up!

Woodchat Saturday 26th January 2013 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 2648066)
Love those Snowdrops and Primroses, Woodchat! Really cheered me up!

Cheered me up no end too, Mary. Simple pleasures in a complicated World!:t:

toadoftoadhall Saturday 26th January 2013 20:53

will have to meet up with you one day Dave to show me the area

Woodchat Sunday 27th January 2013 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by toadoftoadhall (Post 2648203)
will have to meet up with you one day Dave to show me the area

No problem Paul - just let me know :t:

Woodchat Thursday 31st January 2013 19:58

61 species recorded on the patch this January, as follows:

1Mute Swan 16Common Gull 31Robin 46Magpie
2Canada Goose 17Herring Gull 32Song Thrush 47Jay
3Mallard 18LBB Gull 33Fieldfare 48Jackdaw
4Pheasant 19Stock Dove 34Redwing 49Rook
5Cormorant 20Wood Pigeon 35Mistle Thrush 50Carrion Crow
6Grey Heron 21Collared Dove 36Blackbird 51Raven
7Common Buzzard 22Green Woodpecker 37Blackcap 52Starling
8Sparrowhawk 23G S Woodpecker 38Goldcrest 53House Sparrow
9Kestrel 24Kingfisher 39Wren 54Chaffinch
10Water Rail 25Skylark 40Great Tit 55Linnet
11Moorhen 26Meadow Pipit 41Coal Tit 56Lesser Redpoll
12Lapwing 27Grey Wagtail 42Blue Tit 57Goldfinch
13Common Snipe 28Pied Wagtail 43Long-tailed Tit 58Greenfinch
14Woodcock 29Waxwing 44Nuthatch 59Siskin
15Black-headed Gull 30Dunnock 45Treecreeper 60Bullfinch
61Reed Bunting

Woodchat Saturday 2nd February 2013 18:16

The Great Northern Diver at Westwood this morning flew off due south west and would have flown directly over the salwarpe valley - however, I was positioned at WW so I can't count it as a patch tick, unfortunately.

My first birding day of February produced most of the usual suspects, including Kingfisher, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Mistle Thrushes, Buzzard, Skylarks, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipits, Goldcrests, House Sparrow, Water Rail, Canada Geese, Nuthatch, Stock Dove, Great Spot and Green Woodpeckers.

It was fascinating watching the pair of Ravens collecting mud and twigs to build their nest. One of them landed in the top of a weeping willow and carefully selected and broke off a couple of twigs then carried them back to the tall Wellingtonia nesting tree.

Woodchat Saturday 16th February 2013 16:50

A BITTERN just flew out of the reedbed and landed about fifty yards further east from where it took off from. Quite a dark individual - superb close flight views just in front of viewing screen. A patch tick!

Jason K Sunday 17th February 2013 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2663322)
A BITTERN just flew out of the reedbed and landed about fifty yards further east from where it took off from. Quite a dark individual - superb close flight views just in front of viewing screen. A patch tick!

What a patch Tick Dave! Nice one!

Just shows how rewarding the efort put into local patch birding can be!

woodwolf Sunday 17th February 2013 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2663322)

Missed this post last night, congratulations Dave, thats a patch Mega to be proud of :t:

Woodchat Sunday 17th February 2013 17:46

Bittern again

Cheers guys - needless to say I'm chuffed to bits that a Bittern has taken up residence only ~400 yards from my back door.

The Bittern showed again this evening at ~6pm. This time it flew in the opposite direction a bit further back - again landing in the reeds approximately 50 yards from where it took off. Several Common Snipes were flying around calling at dusk and ~200 Pied Wagtails roosted in the reeds. A male Sparrowhawk tried its luck.

Other birds recorded this weekend included 2 Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, 2 Ravens, Buzzards, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Water Rails, Siskins, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, 100's of Fieldfares and Redwings. Singing birds included Skylark, Chaffinches, Dunnocks, Song Thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Goldcrests and Greenfinches - a real taste of early spring. |8)|

Phil Andrews Sunday 17th February 2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2664124)
Cheers guys - needless to say I'm chuffed to bits that a Bittern has taken up residence only ~400 yards from my back door.

The Bittern showed again this evening at ~6pm. This time it flew in the opposite direction a bit further back - again landing in the reeds approximately 50 yards from where it took off. Several Common Snipes were flying around calling at dusk and ~200 Pied Wagtails roosted in the reeds. A male Sparrowhawk tried its luck.

Cracking record Dave - thats wot patch watching is all about. Does it look like any of the Bitterns at Upton this winter?

Woodchat Sunday 17th February 2013 18:08

3 Attachment(s)
A selection of early spring blooms - the first Daffs of the season, Lesser Celendine and Winter Aconites.......

Woodchat Sunday 17th February 2013 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2664140)
Cracking record Dave - thats wot patch watching is all about. Does it look like any of the Bitterns at Upton this winter?

Cheers mate - quite a dark bird. JTB saw the Upton bird this evening - so it's def not that one. B (:

Woodchat Sunday 17th February 2013 18:24

Slip Hazard - Please Take Care!!

3 Attachment(s)
An unexpected visit by an altogether different flying object today.

A lady slipped on the muddy tow-path and broke her ankle. The air ambulance helicopter expertly landed in Coney Meadow and took her off to hospital. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

Anyone visiting Coney Meadow, please do take care - the paths are very slippy in places.

I did expect that the helicopter would flush the Bittern - but it seems it was pretty oblivious to the whole thing. :t:

Birder Gladys Monday 18th February 2013 18:19

3 Attachment(s)
Bitten turned up same time as yesterday this time a short fight from west to east over dark area, still to late to capture on camera.still can't believe that a bird like this is so close to home.I think someone once said"if you make it they will come" or something like that. Concratulations to all concerned in the making of this fine reed bed.
others tonight large flock pied wagtail,Sparrowhark,Buzzard,

Phil Andrews Monday 18th February 2013 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2664966)
Bitten turned up same time as yesterday this time a short fight from west to east over dark area, still to late to capture on camera.still can't believe that a bird like this is so close to home.I think someone once said"if you make it they will come" or something like that. Concratulations to all concerned in the making of this fine reed bed.

Tim - the phrase you are looking for is the often misquoted line from Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams ("If you build it, he will come")

Woodchat Monday 18th February 2013 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2664966)

Nice one, Tim. Sounds like a few people turned out this evening (?) - below is a quote from Brian's 'Birding Today' website:

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again in flight over reedbed from viewing screen at 5.56pm then landed in reeds (many obs)."

- I don't want the place getting too popular! 8-P ;)

Seriously, though - the more the merrier - just wish I could've got down there myself - but not much chance on a workday. Looking forward to when the clocks change. :t:

Birder Gladys Monday 18th February 2013 21:53

Hi Dave
Yes happy for the guys that where there it showed its face,smaller flight then night before this time towards us but stayed high-ish in reeds for them to get thier scopes on it for a minute or so.
sent you a pm also

Brian Stretch Monday 18th February 2013 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2665088)
Nice one, Tim. Sounds like a few people turned out this evening (?) - below is a quote from Brian's 'Birding Today' website:

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again in flight over reedbed from viewing screen at 5.56pm then landed in reeds (many obs)."

- I don't want the place getting too popular! 8-P ;)

Seriously, though - the more the merrier - just wish I could've got down there myself - but not much chance on a workday. Looking forward to when the clocks change. :t:

Hi Dave,

Yes, it was rammed. Well five of us anyway! Just a fluke that I was looking through my bins in the exact spot from where it took flight - short and sweet but nice to see a Bittern in a new location.

Interestingly, one was seen at Grimley in the field opposite Top Barn Farm by RMa in early Feb but we only found out about it a week after the event. The same bird maybe......

Anyway, a great bird to find on your patch and it certainly looks to have potential for Bearded Tits etc. I seem to remember looking for some of those following a report along the stretch of canal between what is now Coney Meadow and the edge of Droitwich back in the 80's but to no avail.

Brian

Woodchat Tuesday 19th February 2013 10:07

Glad you all saw it Brian...

Interesting re the Grimley bird. Is RMa Roger Maskew by any chance? He seems to have the 'Midas touch' when it comes to finding good birds.