• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Itchen Abbas/Micheldever Station (1 Viewer)

Binocularface

You've all got one...............!
Hi,

I will be in Hampshire in the next few days as I am on a course at Micheldever Station, I will be staying at Itchen Abbas. I am hoping to have some time to get out birding in the area, so if someone could give me some advice on some decent sites within the immediate area this would be really helpful.

Regards
Tristan

How far can you go? Do you have a car or are you just looking for places in Micheldever. There is a Hampshire Wildlife Trust reserve called Micheldever Spoil Heaps which has commoner woodland and grassland birds. Woodcock may be displaying around Micheldever Woods where Marsh Tit might be present. Cetti's Warbler will probably be present along the river. Sorry that's all the information I can give, the area doesn't really get any coverage.
Tom

teamsaint said:
How far can you go? Do you have a car or are you just looking for places in Micheldever. There is a Hampshire Wildlife Trust reserve called Micheldever Spoil Heaps which has commoner woodland and grassland birds. Woodcock may be displaying around Micheldever Woods where Marsh Tit might be present. Cetti's Warbler will probably be present along the river. Sorry that's all the information I can give, the area doesn't really get any coverage.
Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for this. I will not have my own car, so was just looking for info on nearby sites. Looking at the OSMap of the area the river at Itchen Abbas looks quite interesting with a series of pools.

Regards
Tristan

There are some beautiful walks by the river at Itchen Abbas...one of the few places where you can get close to the Itchen, which is such a posh fishing river thyat most of it it fenced off. The pond to the west of Avington park is worth a look too and is in walking distance. Take the road opposite the pub and wander... then turning immediately right on the footpath is one route.

If you can spare time for a bus ride, try Alresford pond.

Hope this is time to be of some use. Didn't see your post till monday.

K.

Ken Tone said:
There are some beautiful walks by the river at Itchen Abbas...one of the few places where you can get close to the Itchen, which is such a posh fishing river thyat most of it it fenced off. The pond to the west of Avington park is worth a look too and is in walking distance. Take the road opposite the pub and wander... then turning immediately right on the footpath is one route.

If you can spare time for a bus ride, try Alresford pond.

Hope this is time to be of some use. Didn't see your post till monday.

K.
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info, I am off tomorrow so will post back on my return.

Regards
Tristan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back