• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What could this bird be? - Portland, OR USA (1 Viewer)

coltrv

I saw this bird in my backyard in Portland, OR on February 26, 2020. The wing shape seems weird to me. I think it soared like a hawk/vulture, I don't recall if it wobbled. Its wing shape doesn't seem like a hawk, and seems a little weird for a vulture. However, I suspect it's just a turkey vulture. I know the photo is pretty bad, but does anyone have any idea of what it is based on its wing shape?

Attachments

• DSC00152 (2).jpg
    DSC00152 (2).jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
It's not holding its wings in the way turkey vultures usually do, and the head shape doesn't look like a turkey vulture to me. In flight, a turkey vulture's head looks really small compared to the body.

Can't see much beyond that it's dark and it's got the wing shape of a larger bird. Why not golden eagle?

You can see a white wing patch to the underwing coverts, this would be more likely on a juv. Bald Eagle, certainly doesn’t look like a Turkey Vulture.

Cheers

Maybe. It seems pretty uniformly dark, but that doesn't rule out a first-year Bald. Maybe even second-year, since the photo is blurry enough to hide some white marks.

But I really don't know. See if anybody else comments.

Edit: Ken posted while I was typing. I was replying to coltrv's second post.

I'm not sure I see the white patch Ken sees, but he's got some experience with blurry overhead photos, so if he sees it, it's probably there.

Last edited:
Maybe. It seems pretty uniformly dark, but that doesn't rule out a first-year Bald. Maybe even second-year, since the photo is blurry enough to hide some white marks.

But I really don't know. See if anybody else comments.

Edit: Ken posted while I was typing. I was replying to coltrv's second post.

I'm not sure I see the white patch Ken sees, but he's got some experience with blurry overhead photos, so if he sees it, it's probably there.

The “apparent” white to the starboard underwing, could well be a low sun highlight...thus Goldie it may be.

Yours forever blurred. :t:

Wing shape seems off for a gull. But I am willing to be convinced if someone can come up with a clear gull holding its wings like that.

Niels

I seem to see pale axillaries on at least one side, in both bright sun and shadow.

Although I think this bird has a full crop, making the head/neck look deeper than normal, I still think the bill is huge enough for a Bald Eagle.

That was my first impression. I don’t think it looks like an eagle of either species but I wouldn’t claim to be sure.

I considered it too - color is very tempting for a young gull. I decided head/neck shape didn't feel right, nor wing shape. But it's a tricky angle, and the photo is not clear enough to draw any real conclusions.

I considered it too - color is very tempting for a young gull. I decided head/neck shape didn't feel right, nor wing shape. But it's a tricky angle, and the photo is not clear enough to draw any real conclusions.

Agree. Looking again I think it is probably an Eagle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back