• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Titmouse with droopy wing (1 Viewer)

ltaylor00

I found a tufted titmouse while walking my dogs. It clearly could not fly so I picked it up and brought it home and put it in an aquarium with a mesh top, gave it some seeds and water and called an avian vet. I took the bird to the avian vet who xrayed the injured wing...showed me the xrays and said it was not broken but it looked like it had been attacked by a hawk or a cat. He prescribed antibiotics and pain killers and showed me how to administer them. He said that because the wing was not broken that it should not be wrapped. He said it appeared to be a soft tissue injury like a torn shoulder muscle. He could not be sure it would heal. I brought it home and I've been caring for it and the goal is for it to get better and fly again so I can release it. However, I'm not sure that it will get better. This is the 3rd wild bird I've rescued and while the first 2 got better and were released, I don't have a good feeling about this one. It is very lively otherwise and can hop well and eats well. What I am wondering, why not wrap the wing to the bird for a soft tissue injury? Does anyone know? If you had a sprained ankle, you might wrap it with an Ace bandage. Why not do that for a bird shoulder?

Attachments

• 27173993_10215318041810270_8205701882379742144_o.jpg
    27173993_10215318041810270_8205701882379742144_o.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 66
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I have moved your question to the Birds and Birding forum. Hoping you will get some assistance. I have also subscribed you to the thread so you will receive email updates when someone posts.

I'd stick with the Vet's advice - they're the professionals in this.

Make sure its food includes some high quality protein-rich items like insects (e.g. 'ant eggs'), if you can.

Make sure its food includes some high quality protein-rich items like insects (e.g. 'ant eggs'), if you can.

That would be hard for him to find this time of year unless he can buy them somewhere.

Wishing you and the Titmouse all the best and please keep us updated if you can.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back