• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (5 Viewers)

Strandman

Greetings all. Succumbed to the lure of Hayle WB Diver earlier in the week- there's just something about the big divers. A certain placid swarthy presence that nothing else can match (except possibly a bison, if that makes any sense as a comparison).

Anyway, squandered far too much time on close-ups with the evil Nikon, but came away with a painting firmly in mind of a croc-style attack on couple of Little Grebes. Attached are my working drawings so far of the episode pretty much as seen and recalled - first is the usual biro + finger painted coffee combo (no idea why I gave it a Black-throated Diver's head), second is scanned in and recomposed with head kneaded into shape, third with a digi-splash of colour to help work out where the light and dark will go.

But the plan is that the end result will be a proper painting on proper paper, using pencil, brushes, paint, all that stuff...the main technical problems current and expected (apart from remembering how to use paint) are how to maintain enough distance btween WBD and the grebes without having a hole in the middle of the painting- as the grebes lifted off at some distance when they saw monster boy coming. Also challenging will be the water - the strongest feature of the scene in true life was the shiny lines of WBD's wake (more obvious than the bird itself) crossing the more feeble wind blown ripples on the water.

Attachments

• scanwbd.jpg
    scanwbd.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 442
  • workingwbd.jpg
    workingwbd.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 362
  • colourworkingwbd.jpg
    colourworkingwbd.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 616
buzzard12 said:
....have spent a bit of time at Hayle, great site....

mmm Hayle..my careful notes (ha ha) record that I was last there 20 years ago in October 1987 at the tail end of brief twitching career- Mrs K says better my midlife crisis takes the form of a very occasional relapse into twitching than tight jeans and sports cars and she is probably right.

interesting idea, I love the sort of pics where you have several species that you don't expect to see together. Looking forward to the progress.

To avoid a hole in the middle, you need to find some sort of link between the diver and the grebes, this could be some ripples attaching them, or a reflection, something that moves the composition along from one element to the next.

nickderry said:
interesting idea, I love the sort of pics where you have several species that you don't expect to see together. Looking forward to the progress.

To avoid a hole in the middle, you need to find some sort of link between the diver and the grebes, this could be some ripples attaching them, or a reflection, something that moves the composition along from one element to the next.

Indeedy- the key will be where I place the dark water and the bright patches where there are windblown ripples

I might need to steal (I mean "use as reference") your Little Grebe posted yesterday...

nickderry said:

Going with the theme of species you don't normally see together, check this
out - something of a similar idea to what you are trying to pull Ed.

Couldn't resist adding one more link - two more species very much 'together' - can you guess what the one inside is?

Likewise look forward to seeing yours progress by the way (definitely preferable to tight jeans and a sports car!)

Dave

Last edited:
Dave B said:
Going with the theme of species you don't normally see together, check this
out - something of a similar idea to what you are trying to pull Ed.

Dave

Nice to hear from you. That Finfoot is a clever parallel- not too sure about the blue ripples, but I guess for $11,400 you would expect a bit of colour..

Couldn't resist adding one more link - two more species very much 'together' - can you guess what the one inside is? //Quote Dave B

Looks how I felt after leaving Club Wooton last night after a few scoops, I was definitely overserved and as a result bought far to many kebabs at the local take away...

I'd say he's had a large Doner Dave...(pork variety!)

Last edited:
ed keeble said:
Pigs are very long bodied (see distinctive jizz of a swallowed pig in the first two pics here, assuming human has been correctly ruled out)

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/anaconda.asp

so I guess goat or similar..

Close. According to this site it was a pregnant ewe. I first saw this pic at a photo exhibition at a motorway service station here, where, if my memory serves, it was stated that the victim was a calf.

Dave

PS While googling 'python', I came across this, which, while somewhat tangential to the original topic, is still well worth a look!

Last edited:
Here's another ongoing project at the ultra fiddly digi-illustration end of the spectrum (sorry Tim- digipainting hasn't gone away, just keeping a low profile whilst so much real bird art is pinging about). This should turn into 3 Nordmann's Greenshank as the poster for this year's campaign against rampant mudflat reclamation in South Korea (last year's Spoon-billed Sandpiper previously posted). Currently locked in deep email discussions about breast profile, crown shape..head versus body size... Tiny changes make a big difference and it's a real test of discipline after the intial spontaneous first draft.

Attachments

• scannord copy copy.jpg
    scannord copy copy.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 5a5bmasternordmann's copy copy.jpg
    5a5bmasternordmann's copy copy.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I really like the composition sketch for these shanks, would have been proud to have done it myself, as for digipainting, to me it's a valid art form (as is photography btw - as long as there's a passion in it, there's an art), using a laptop without a mouse like a right hander, whereas I'm left-handed, this is the best I can do with paint!

Attachments

• blackbird.JPG
    blackbird.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 292
  • pic mar.JPG
    pic mar.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 381
nickderry said:
I really like the composition sketch for these shanks, would have been proud to have done it myself, as for digipainting, to me it's a valid art form (as is photography btw - as long as there's a passion in it, there's an art), using a laptop without a mouse like a right hander, whereas I'm left-handed, this is the best I can do with paint!

I rather like the Middle-spotted Woodpecker- especially the back-lit crown. I remember seeing one years ago which raised its crown feathers with the early morning sun shining through them and they absolutely glowed- image as fresh in my mind as if was yesterday.

The WBD is being nudged along...

Love the digital work Ed. I work as a retoucher so I appreciate the amount of work that goes into these pieces. Don't you just hate it when people say 'Isn't it great what computers can do these days!' AAhrrgghhh!! Without an artist to use them they do nothing!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back