• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 from Lesbos (1 Viewer)

glaciermint

Could I please invite comments on 2 pics from Lesbos in May last year.

The raptor I recorded as Lanner but have had a nagging doubt in view of the fact that the moustachial stripe seems rather indistinct and ends well short of the eye. The head also looked rather pale though this could have been a trick of the light. It was fairly distant and since it didn't move have no other id features to add. On the other hand I can't think what else it could be.

The pipit was perched when I noticed it and disappeared quickly after the photo so again I have no further notes

Sorry that both pics lack sharpness but confirmation of id will be appreciated

Attachments

• Copy of Lanner 20.5 Lesbos.jpg
    Copy of Lanner 20.5 Lesbos.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 200
  • Pipit 20.5 Lesbos copy.JPG
    Pipit 20.5 Lesbos copy.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 215
glaciermint said:
Could I please invite comments on 2 pics from Lesbos in May last year.

The raptor I recorded as Lanner but have had a nagging doubt in view of the fact that the moustachial stripe seems rather indistinct and ends well short of the eye. The head also looked rather pale though this could have been a trick of the light. It was fairly distant and since it didn't move have no other id features to add. On the other hand I can't think what else it could be.

The pipit was perched when I noticed it and disappeared quickly after the photo so again I have no further notes

Sorry that both pics lack sharpness but confirmation of id will be appreciated

Long-legged Buzzard? (no books to check)

Can't do pipits.

Is it a really a pipit ?? Primary projection seems far too long. Isn't there a hint of blue on the throat ....(o)< , or is it my poor eyes and monitor ??

And agree it looks more like a buzzard.

Last edited:
bitterntwisted said:
Long-legged Buzzard? (no books to check)

Can't do pipits.

I thought the same at first look - Long legged Buzzard but no books available at the moment.

Also don't think it's a Pipit, for some reason I thought Crested Lark but I reckon I'm way off course.

gerdwichers8 said:
Long-legged Buzzard, but the belly shield aint too visible
the Lark is a Woodlark

although it looks a bit odd, it certainly has the woodlarky-structure, with a nice short tail. You can also make out the little black and white patch on the lower edge of the wing if you squint hard enough...
Cheers
Jono Leadley

www.indybirder.com

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back