• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite Binoculars, Which Brand Poll (2 Viewers)

Your favourite pair of binoculars - which brand?

• Leica

Votes: 49 16.2%
  • Nikon

Votes: 29 9.6%
  • Swarovski

Votes: 81 26.7%
  • Zeiss

Votes: 67 22.1%
  • Bushnell - Bausch & Lomb

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Opticron

• Hawke Optics

• Pentax

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Kowa

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Meopta

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Minox

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Swift

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • GPO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RSPB - Vking Optics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Vortex

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Leupold

• Zen Ray

• Other

Votes: 18 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Birdforum

Administrator
Just an informal poll about your favourite go-to binoculars, which brand are they?
We cannot possibly have options for every brand, but if you vote 'others' feel free to post to tell everyone which brand they are.
The thread is open for comments

Last edited:
Many on that list are not manufacturers, they are re-branders of Chinese or Japanese OEM's.

Good thing he didn't ask about manufacturers then, only brands. ;)

I voted "other" because my most used pair is a pair of Cabelas "brand" Outfiitter HD's that from everything I can gather, were made by Kamakura in Japan.

If price were no object and I knew I'd never leave my binoculars somewhere and forget them or have them stolen, I would answer differently. LOL

Last edited:
Good thing he didn't ask about manufacturers then, only brands. ;)

I voted "other" because my most used pair is a pair of Cabelas "brand" Outfiitter HD's that from everything I can gather, were made by Kamakura in Japan.

If price were no object and I knew I'd never leave my binoculars somewhere and forget them or have them stolen, I would answer differently. LOL

Sure, after the poll was edited to remove the term ''manufacturer'' from the original thread title question.;)

Considering that many members of this forum own a number of binoculars, and that most owners of multiple binoculars also own bins of different brands (since binoculars impose no barriers to brand disloyalty, unlike e.g. cameras, with their often proprietary mounts and accessories) this poll question seems likely to yield uninformative incomplete (verging on inaccurate) and thus misleading results. I own bins of many brands, but even narrowing to my currently most-used, I'm still left with a toss-up between Swarovski and Zeiss.

--AP

Zen-Ray 8×43 ED3 .... yeah that's right folks - the classics ! :D

A bit misleading to call them my "favourite" go-to bins .... they're my 'Only' bins ! :-O

Always open to something better .... nothing really sufficiently floats my boat or tickles my fancy - yet :) :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Shopping for my first pair, no idea what to get. I clicked View Results to see what people liked, and it wouldn't show until I voted. Having no clue I selected Bushnell because I think I saw that brand in Field & Stream in 1978.

Why isn't Maven there? Are they in the "other" section? Why?

Hard telling! If you have already voted in the poll you won't have access to see what "other" brands were entered in the "Other" section.

Anyway, that is what happened to me. Maybe there is a way to find it out?

Bob

Most ergonomic fit: Steiner Discovery XP
Most appealing view: Leica UV+ 7x42
Choice for a tripod: APM high magnification (it's what binoculars are about)
Most used: probably vintage Nikon DCF 9x30 (one pair in glove box, other by sofa to look down garden)

Favourite voted for: (Leica) 7x42. Hard to fault them and so easy to use; ergonomic, smallish, lightish, with an easy view. Have been carrying them everywhere on a coastal holiday at the moment

My current hands down favourite binocular is a 1994 Vintage Zeiss 7 x 45 Design Selection Night Owl T*P* , I had the good fortune of finding an example in pristine condition.

:king:

Slack in the Focus Action

Focus control is needed all the time but slop free action seems hard to find, so Nikon.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back