• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-collared Lorikeet in Sydney Royal Botanical Garden (1 Viewer)

UtahnBirder

I have photographic evidence of what I am quite sure is a Red-collared Lorikeet at the Sydney Royal Botanical Garden. It was hanging with a small group of Rainbow Lorikeets.

Am I correct in assuming that this is a single escaped housepet? My field guide for Australia does not show these lorikeets occuring naturally anywhere near Sydney, and I know lorikeets are kept as pets.

Alternatively, is there an established feral population of these lorikeets in Sydney?

I'd expect it to be an escapee hanging around with the local Rainbows

Have to agree with John.
The Red Collared variety seem to be more prominent in the captive bird trade than the standard rainbow. I'm not a keeper of birds myself however.

The rainbows are quite common where I live, if you notice my avatar it's a photo I took some years ago of a rainbow collecting nectar from a banksia in my garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back