• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minor on cabanisii / cabanidis / cabanisi / Cabanisia (1 Viewer)

Martin, note, that there's no "Bennoit" in the entry for "Cabanis, Jean Louis" in the normally trustworthy (Neue) Deutsche Biographie, here ... which has his Father as "Benoit-Jean (1774–1838)", and no "Louis" on the latter ...

Keep digging!

Björn

I am wondering if a Sterberegister = death register (second link) of the City of Berlin/Friedrichshagen is less trustworthy than the (Neue) Deutsche Biographie. But I tried to contact the Landesarchiv for the full record. We will see if they answer in times of Covid-19.

Last edited:
FWIW, the genealogical information of the Deutsche Hugenotten-Gesellschaft seems to agree with (Erwin Stresemann in) the Neue Deutsche Biographie.
https://www.hugenotten.de/genealogie/tabelle-berlin-beringuier-personenblaetter.php#BM425
425 Jean Louis CABANIS, Dr. phil., Prof. Geboren am 08.03.1816 in Berlin, 1. Custos am Kgl. zoolog. Museum. Sohn von Benoit Jean CABANIS (siehe 422) und unbekannt FAHLAND (siehe 423).
Kirchliche Trauung mit unbekannt RINALDI (siehe 426).
Aus dieser Ehe stammen:
1. Jean Pierre (siehe 427).
2. Jean Charles (siehe 429).
3. Olympie Charlotte Marie (siehe 431).
4. Agnes Antoinette Sara (siehe 433).
5. Berthe Louise Hélène (siehe 434).
6. Jean Etienne (siehe 436).
7. Jean George (siehe 437).

Note that:
- The given names of Cabanis' mother on the Wikipedia page ("Auguste Marie Charlotte") also differ strikingly from those in the Neue Deutsche Biographie ("Maria Luise").
- "Benoît" (in principle with a circumflex, but this might presumably have been lost in a German context) is a French given name; an alternative, now obsolete spelling is "Benoist"; "Bennoit" (with a double n) is not a spelling I had seen before.

-----------
Side issue -- note also in the above: "3. Olympie Charlotte Marie (siehe 431)." -- https://www.hugenotten.de/genealogie/tabelle-berlin-beringuier-personenblaetter.php#BM431 :
431 Olympie Charlotte Marie CABANIS, geboren am 15.07.1856 in Berlin, Tochter von Jean Louis CABANIS (siehe 425) und unbekannt RINALDI (siehe 426).
Kirchliche Trauung mit unbekannt REICHENOW (siehe 432).
She is the dedicatee of Paradisea maria Reichenow 1894. Currently in the Key as:
Maria Reichenow née Cabanis (fl. 1890) wife of German ornithologist Prof. Anton Reichenow (Paradisaea apoda x Paradisaea guilelmi).

Last edited:
But? Regarding ...

maria as in:
• the hybrid "Paradisea maria" REICHENOW 1894 (here), no explanation, no dedication (at least not from what I can tell) ... ;)

Laurent, how do you/we know it's aimed at "Olympie Charlotte Marie", the Tochter (Daughter, born 1856) of Cabanis (equally the wife of Reichenow), and not for any other possible Marie/Maria candidate?

Just curious ...

Björn
---

Last edited:
Just FYI as well Herman Schalow (also in the key) here wrote an obituary and/or hold a speech in honor for Jean Cabanis.

Laurent, how do you know it's aimed at "Olympie Charlotte Marie", the Tochter (Daughter, born 1856) of Cabanis, and not for any other possible Marie/Maria candidates?

Seems a little bit picky. Why should Reichenow in the year 1894 not honor his wife which he married in 1878?

Last edited:
German Wiki for Anton Reichenow gives us another piece (if relevant?) about his wife: "1878 heiratete er Marie Cabanis, die älteste Tochter von Jean Cabanis. Sie starb 1940. ..." (here, bottom part of text Leben und Wirken).

Useful? I don't know.

/B

Seems a little bit picky. Why should Reichenow in the year 1894 not honor his wife which he married in 1878?
"Picky" could be my middle name! ;)

Though, why should he? Hundreds, thousands of wifes has passed through ornithology without being noticed. With no dedication I simply found/find it hard to say that she "... is the dedicatee of Paradisea maria", this far I'd say she most likely is. It's a minor difference, yes, but still a difference.

However, the main reason for my "picky" comment, was that Laurent might, could show us an additional reference (clearly pointing at her). Nothing else.

/B
--

Last edited:
However, the main reason for my "picky" comment, was that Laurent might, could show us an additional reference (clearly pointing at her). Nothing else.
No, I'm afraid I have no additional evidence. I'd probably better have written "assumed" or "accepted" dedicatee.

If I look here it might be worth to look into...
Die französische Colonie (Jahrg. 1891; No. 6 S. 99-100 and No. 1 S.9)
Google Books has this journal [here], in US-only access.
Pp. 99-100 give a short bio of Cabanis, published on the occasion that: "Am 4. April feierte Herr Professor Jean Cabanis, geboren 8. März 1816 (vergl. Stammbaum, Seite 9), sein 50jähriges Dienstjubiläum." But this is mainly an account of his career with few personal details. The only given name cited there is 'Jean'.

Contrary to Schalow's indication in his Gedächtnisrede, the Stammbaum doesn't appear to have been published in this journal, but as part of a separate volume:
Béringuier R [ed]. 1887. Die Stammbäume der Mitglieder der französischen Colonie in Berlin. Verlag des Vereins für die Geschichte Berlins, Berlin.​
You can see this [here]. Or [here]. At first sight, the info here and on the Deutsche Hugenotten-Gesellschaft website (which I quoted above) seems identical.
(Die französische Colonie, also edited by R Béringuier, was the "Organ des Deutschen Hugenotten-Vereins"; and "Deutscher Hugenotten-Verein" appears to have been an earlier name for what is now the Deutsche Hugenotten-Gesellschaft. I.e., it seems that these two sources are actually only one.)

Last edited:
See attached his official death record.

Jean Louis Bennoit??? Cabanis might be correct. But if I compare the word Berlin I doubt the B in Bennoit is really a B (presumably a G) or the name was Gernoit?

Attachments

• Cabanis.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
But if I compare the word Berlin I doubt the B in Bennoit is a really B.
It seems rather frequent, in this type of older hand-written German documents, that two types of writings -- Deutsche Schrift and a more "usual Latin" writing style -- are used simultaneously in a single text.

"Jean Louis Bennoit" is written in typical Deutsche Schrift. The first letter of "Bennoit" looks like an upper-case B to me, e.g.: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/5b/22/ff5b22f07b9def84d72bca467759e837.jpg.
"Berlin" is in the more "usual Latin" writing (see how the 'e' is written), so a comparison to "Bennoit" may not be really meaningful. This writing style seems consistently used here for city names (Friedrichshagen, Berlin), but not street names; last names (Cabanis, Frenzel, Fahland), but not given names; and was also used for the name of the month (Februar); all the rest is in Deutsche Schrift.

The duality is particularly striking in the address -- "Friedrichshagen Friedrichstraße 103" : the two words start identically, but they are written completely differently. (I have little doubt that most people over here would read the first word without any problem, but would be completely puzzled by the second one.)

Last edited:
Herr Professor Jean Cabanis

Does the (official) Death record tell us anything regarding the exact date, of when Jean Louis Bennoit Cabanis died?

Is it still: "† 20.2.1906 Friedrichshagen bei Berlin", ... ?

And does it say anything about the cause of Death?

/B
-

Last edited:
Is it still: "† 20.2.1906 Friedrichshagen bei Berlin", ... ?
"zu Friedrichshagen Friedrichstraße 103 am zwanzigsten Februar des Jarhes tausend neunhundert sechs Nachsmittags um zwölf ein halb Uhr".
= at Friedrichshagen, Friedrichstraße 103, on the twentieth of February of the year thousand nine hundred and six in the afternoon at half past twelve.

I see nothing that I would interpret as stating the cause of the death, but there are admittedly a few words that I don't find easy to read. ;)

Thanks, Laurent!

That'll do, that will be enough. I've got all that I need (and far more) on the Great Cabanis (for my MS, that is, I certainly don't need to know exactly what caused his Death).

One again thanks (also to Martin, for the proof/Death record itself)!

:t:

Björn

I wouldn't wirite Friedrichshagen bei Berlin. I think it is a part of Berlin like Köpenick etc. You can see it here.
It became part of Berlin in 1920 -- if I understand things at https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin-Friedrichshagen correctly...?

Googling for "Friedrichshagen bei Berlin" produces a lot of hits in (older) German texts, but I'm not sure that "bei Berlin", in any of these, is really a part of the name of the place -- it could as easily be a mere indication that the place known as "Friedrichshagen" is/was near ("bei" in German) Berlin. There is no "bei Berlin" on the death certificate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back