• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there a "bird safe" weed killer? (1 Viewer)

BarryH

I feed my garden birds on paving slabs that are set in pebbles, now the seed that gets around the slabs is starting to grow.

I've been weeding the area for the last month or so but now the weeds are growing quicker and it would be a full time job pulling them out.

Does anyone know if there is a "bird safe" weed killer I could put on to the weeds that are growing to keep them under control?

I think any of the non persistant glyphosate based (Round -up etc)weedkillers are fine.... from memory they say that they are safe for animals and children when dry. Ask at a good garden centre... read the instructions.. if in doubt don't use.. if you do it on a warm dry day and scare off the birds until it dries off.

Otherwise garden centres (or internet suppliers) sell blow torches for burning off weeds.. they don't get down to the roots.. but they're fun to use and burn the tops off!

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look in my local garden centre.

A blow torch might be fun though;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back