• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breasted Merganser? (1 Viewer)

weather

Pirate name: Poncy Henry Goodfellow
Not a very clear shot, but I think this is a Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) I'm use to seeing these guys in rafts on the lake, so I'm a bit confused as if this really is a Merg. I think it's a female. It had a long orange bill and feet.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• merg.JPG
    merg.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 188
Hi Mike,

Female Common Merganser (a.k.a. Goosander). Too white on the throat for R B Merg, but fine for Common. Also RB Mergs tend to be saltwater birds, whereas Common is freshwater.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Mike,

Female Common Merganser (a.k.a. Goosander). Too white on the throat for R B Merg, but fine for Common. Also RB Mergs tend to be saltwater birds, whereas Common is freshwater.

Michael

Yeah. I'm looking at that now in some of my field guides. I think I'll have to go with a Common too.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Frankis said:
I'd love to have a Hooded Merg heading my way . . . as long as it's wild, not an escape!

Michael

Sorry Michael. It was an inside joke.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back