• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds - November 2017 (1 Viewer)

Docmartin

Thought Police
British Birds November 2017

The November 2017 issue of British Birds is now out.

BB eye The real conservation priorities Ian Carter

Report on scarce migrant birds in Britain in 2015: passerines The inexorable rise of the Yellow-browed Warbler continues, reaching yet another new high in 2015 (2,843 records). Numbers of ‘Siberian Chiffchaffs’ also reached a new high (351) and the same was true for Great Grey Shrike (375). Little Bunting (second-best year on record), Olive-backed Pipit (fourth) and Blyth’s Reed Warbler (fourth) were other species for which numbers remain high. Species in long-term decline include Ortolan Bunting and Melodious Warbler.

The ‘Azorean Yellow-legged Gull’ in Britain
This paper summarises the taxonomic history, identification, status and distribution of ‘Azorean Yellow-legged Gull’ Larus michahellis atlantis. It documents the first British records of this taxon, their assessment by BBRC and BOURC, and the subsequent addition of this subspecies to the British List.

Interactions between Great White Egrets, Grey Herons and Cormorants in Norfolk During October 2016 two Great White Egrets were present at Holkham Lake in north Norfolk. Some of the behaviour described and illustrated here appears not to have been published before, at least in literature easily available to birdwatchers in Britain.

Notes Turnstones feeding in pig sheds; Common Redshank behaviour relating to a dead/dying bird; Herring Gull pair returning to same winter territory; Waxwings stripping bark; Waxwing flycatching
Letters, Book reviews, News & comment and Recent reports complete the November issue.

For more details, and to see a recent issue of the magazine, visit our website at www.britishbirds.co.uk

Hello Docmartin,
My brother and myself watched a Great Grey Shrike for a few days in 2015 in a location in Nottinghamshire. The bird was somewhat accommodating in its behaviour towards the both of us, providing us with great opportunities to watch such a wonderful bird.
Regards, David.

Hey, David. I don’t suppose you took photos? Great Grey Shrikes that are tame sometimes turn out to be the rarer variant, ‘Steppe’ Grey Shrike. Would be nice to see any photos if any taken...

All the best,
Andy

Hey, David. I don’t suppose you took photos? Great Grey Shrikes that are tame sometimes turn out to be the rarer variant, ‘Steppe’ Grey Shrike. Would be nice to see any photos if any taken...

All the best,
Andy

Hi Andy,
I think that there are enough, decent birders in Notts, to have ID'd A Steppe Grey if it were one. Great Grey is almost annual in Notts or at least was.

A

Hi Andy,
I think that there are enough, decent birders in Notts, to have ID'd A Steppe Grey if it were one. Great Grey is almost annual in Notts or at least was.

A

Andy, just stumbled upon your notes here. Well aware that Notts has good birders but David's post hinted at a bird he may have found and might not have been widely known about...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back