• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sardinia and Corsica 2019, Endemic Butterflies et al. (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Taken me an age to actually get this report written and the photographs sorted, but here we go....

Travelling from 4-17 July, this two-week trip focussed on the butterflies of Sardinia and Corsica, particularly the dozen or so endemic species that should be on the wing, including the dramatic Corsican Swallowtail. Effort was also made to see some of the more notable birds of the two islands, including Eleonora's Falcon, Griffon Vulture, Marmora's Warbler and the two endemics, Corsican Nuthatch and Corsican Finch.

Approximately 65 species of butterfly have been recorded across the two islands, 13 of which are endemic (depending on taxonomy) - of these, most occur on both islands, while three are restricted to just Sardinia. Additionally, distinctive island races of Corsican Silver-studded Studded Blue and Corsican Chalkhill Blue have potential to be upgraded to species level.

The endemic taxa are:

• Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton)
• Corsican Dappled White (Euchloe insularis)
• Sardinian Blue (Pseudophilotes barbagiae)
• Corsican Idas Blue (Plebejus bellieri)
• Corsican Silver-studded Blue (Plebejus argus corsicus)
• Sardinian Chalkhill Blue (Polyommatus gennargenti)
• Corsican Chalkhill Blue (Polyommatus coridon nufrellensis)
• Corsican Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais ichnusa)
• Corsican Fritillary (Argynnis elisa)
• Corsican Wall Brown (Lasiommata paramegaera)
• Corsican Grayling (Hipparchia neomiris)
• Southern Grayling (Hipparchia aristaeus)
• Sardinian Meadow Brown (Maniola nurag)
• Corsican Heath (Coenonympha corinna)
• Corsican Red-underwing Skipper (Spialia therapne)

Note, Southern Grayling is also considered endemic, as individuals formerly belonging to this species in the Balkans, Sicily and North Africa have now been split into separate species. In addition to the endemics, other notable species that occur on the islands include Two-tailed Pasha, Old World and Scarce Swallowtails, Plain Tiger, Geranium Bronze and both Mediterranean and Pygmy Skippers.

Timing of Trip.

Though the islands bake under a relentless sun in July and the vegetation in the lowlands is largely parched and withered, it is peak season for butterflies in the mountainous areas - particularly the Genneargentu range in Sardinia and the central massive in Corsica. Naturally, it is impossible to see all of the butterflies of Sardinia and Corsica on a single trip - in particular, the endemic Corsican Dappled White and Sardinian Blue both fly in the spring, while many of the others are late summer species. For greatest variety, middle of July is probably ideal - not only are numbers of most mountain species generally high, but traditionally late species such as Sardinian Meadow Brown and both Corsican and Southern Graylings have already emerged, while the generally earlier Corsican Swallowtail is still on the wing. In hindsight, travelling perhaps a week later could have been more optimal - I did not see Corsican Small Tortoiseshell, Corsican Red-underwing Skipper or Sardinian Chalkhill Blue, all of which were probably flying in the days after my trip. Had I travelled in late July however, I think chances of Corsican Swallowtail (my primary target) would have be much reduced.

4 July. San Pedro Island.

Arrived in Sardinia late morning, a sweltering 37 C awaiting. The westward drive across the island underlined the reality of the lowlands - hot, dry and largely devoid of any butterflies, thus was going to be hard work! In 80 km, I managed a grand total of one Small White, three Painted Ladies and, rather nice, one Old World Swallowtail!

A pretty amazing spectacle waiting in the coastal town of Portovesme however - a roundabout at the town's edge was nicely irrigated and planted with abundant flowers. And upon these flowers, clouds of butterflies! A very pleasant 20 minutes here, trucks and cars rumbling round the roundabout, we wandering the middle - at least 450 Painted Ladies accounted for the bulk, quite amazing, though a single Cleopatra and two Southern Blues too.

Took the ferry over to San Pedro Island, equally hot, dry and butterfly-less in the main. On the west of the island however lies the biggest colony of Eleonora's Falcons on Sardinia - blue sea, blue sky, a couple of Corsican Wall Browns (my first of the island endemics) and, most impressive, four Eleonora's Falcons engaging in display above. Dark phase and light phase birds, soaring and chasing.

Would return next morning for more of this, so then headed to Carloforte to spend half an hour locating our not-very-easy to locate accommodation! Worth it in the end though - in the rather untended garden, three Lang's Short-tailed Blues and, a real treat, two Geranium Bronzes, a species that has spread across much of the Mediterranean in recent years.

And so ended the first day, a mere eight species of butterfly seen ...I was having a few doubts that I would manage to stay on the islands for two weeks!

Some of the butterflies of the day:

Old World Swallowtail
Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Southern Blue
Geranium Argus

Attachments

• Old World Swallowtail sc 2.jpg
    Old World Swallowtail sc 2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Langs Short-tailed Blue sc 2.jpg
    Langs Short-tailed Blue sc 2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Southern Blue sc 1.jpg
    Southern Blue sc 1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Geranium Bronze sc 3.jpg
    Geranium Bronze sc 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 35
5 July. San Pedro Island & Bosa.

A perfect start to the day, sunrise at Capo Sandalo - moderately cool, masses of Scopoli's and Yelkouan Shearwaters milling just offshore, regular appearances of Eleonora's Falcons at eye level and added attractions with a pair of Peregrines also active, a pod of Bottle-nosed Dolphins briefly and my first Marmora's Warblers of the trip, a scrawny pair feeding fledged young. By 8.00 am, already the shearwaters were moving offshore, so I decided to move on, a quick look at the Carloforte saltpans adding Slender-billed and Audouin's Gulls, plus a few Kentish Plovers, Avocets, etc.

Back at the accommodation, Geranium Bronzes still buzzing around, plus four Long-tailed Blues joining the Lang's Short-tailed Blues, not much else though. With that, ferry back to mainland Sardinia and the beginning of the journey north. Random stops were extremely unproductive - sweat-inducing 38C, but producing almost zero butterflies ... about ten Small Whites, three Southern Gatekeepers and one Mallow Skipper the sum of my rewards.

Arriving in the Bosa area, my target was Griffon Vulture, a couple of colonies of which occupy the coastal cliffs just north of town. Now late in the afternoon, it didn't take too long to find the birds - amid dramatic landscapes, 24 splendid Griffon Vultures soaring above the crags, slowly descending to roost upon the rock ledges. First Great Banded Grayling if the trip too, a single flying in to briefly pause on rocks.

So to the end of day, the day's butterfly tally had amounted to ten species, not staggering stuff!

6 July. Sorgono & Desulo.

The original plan had been to spend this day in the lowlands, slowly meandering up towards Santa Teresa Gallura for our ferry next morning to Corsica. Given the heat and lack of butterflies however, I decided to tweak the itinerary and head to the Genneargentu mountains, this also being the main destination for the later parts of the trip.

And a good move it was! Winding up through the foothills, lands a degree greener, we reached the 700 metre altitude mark and magically butterflies began to appear. Near Sorgono, altitude 790 metres, a bunch of butterflies active alongside the road - time for first stop! Excellent it was, a slither of meadow following a stream up the slope, dense clumps of flowering bramble overgrowing, oaks bordering. And butterflies everywhere - ended up staying here an hour. Eighteen species noted in this single meadow, among the most prominent at least 40 Speckled Woods, 25 Holly Blues and the colourful trio of Silver-washed, Queen of Spain and Cardinal Fritillaries. Rather more exotic, two Purple Hairstreaks and a very nice Nettle-tree Butterfly.

Continuing upwards, my main destination for the day was in the higher hills, upland meadow above the village of Desulo, altitude 1385 metres. Hot, but refreshing in comparison to the lowlands, this area was again fantastic - and immediately started finding some of the endemics to these two Islands - diminutive Corsican Heaths and Corsican Idas Blues in abundance, Sardinian Meadow Browns and Corsican Fritillaries. Also, now the very beginning of the grayling season, found the first very fresh individuals of the two endemic graylings - six Corsican Graylings and one Southern Grayling (both of these would become very common as the trip progressed). Also many Southern Blues, a few Southern Brown Argus and oodles of Painted Ladies. On the bird front, three Corsican Finches also seen, plus Woodlarks, etc.

After a pleasant couple of hours wandering, amassing 26 species, we then descended to 990 metres to explore an open track along Riu Pedras Fitta stream. Also very good, lots of Cleopatras on the wing, plus a variety of more common species and two Oberthur's Grizzled Skippers, the only location I would see this species.

Eventually it was time to head north again, dropping back into the lowlands and driving up to Santa Teresa Gallura. Only butterfly of note on route was an Old World Swallowtail at a service station near Olbia.

A few of the butterflies of this day...

Attachments

• Long-tailed Blue sc 1.jpg
    Long-tailed Blue sc 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Corsican Heath sc 3.jpg
    Corsican Heath sc 3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Nettle-tree Butterfly sc 2.jpg
    Nettle-tree Butterfly sc 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Oberthurs Grizzled Skipper sc 2.jpg
    Oberthurs Grizzled Skipper sc 2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Corsican Grayling sc 1.jpg
    Corsican Grayling sc 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 34
7 July. D'Arraggio & Col de Sorba.

Early morning ferry from Sardinia to Corsica, Scopoli's Shearwaters skirting the wave tops, smaller numbers of Yelkouan Shearwaters alongside. Approaching Corsica, Scopoli's Shearwaters seemed to be gathering on the water, 20 or so settled, a few more flying. Scanning the flock, a flick of black and a white rump, into my binoculars flitted a Storm Petrel, a bit of luck indeed. A mere few seconds later however, I lost it - it possibly settled on the water with the shearwaters.

So to Corsica, hitch-hiked to the nearby Figuri airport to collect a rental car, then drove a half hour or so to D'Arraggio, ruins of a castle at the top of an extremely hot and steep slope. Clambered up to the ruins, saw nothing, pottered back down again and paused in the shaded gulley at rhe bottom of the slope - and bingo, one stunning Two-tailed Pasha came floating in, did a couple of circuits, then settled just adjacent. Nice butterfly! Also here, my only Southern White Admiral of the trip, a minimum of 20 Cleopatras, a Purple Hairstreak, a Lang's Short-tailed Blue and at least 25 Holly Blues.

Plan for this day was to have a relatively easy-going drive to the Marine de Bravone area, then relax. I however decided to change that, adding a detour to incorporate a first visit to Col de Sorba, altitude 1310 metres. Zigzagging up the hairpins into the pine-clad hillsides, we were now in the lands of the two endemic birds on this island, Corsican Nuthatch and Corsican Finch. Didn't see either on this day, but having seen both in the past, and knowing I would be here again in coming days, I was considerably happier with what I did see! Pulling into the small parking area on the last hairpin before the summit, a swallowtail immediately sailed into view. Jumped out of the car and hurtled off in persuit ... something that didn't prove necessary as the butterfly promptly about turned and returned to thistles right next to the car ...and there it was, my main target of the trip, a stunning Corsican Swallowtail in all its glory, full scallops on the rear underwing and tiny red spots at the rear easily identifying it from Old World Swallowtail. And as I amazed, suddenly there were more, a grand total of four Corsican Swallowtails, one slightly worn, three very fresh.

This was a bonus indeed, as I really hadn't planned to visit Col de Sorba this day. And more to the point, despite searching, I would see no more Corsican Swallowtails on this trip!

After a good while with these beauties, we then travelled a few kilometres to the slopes on the other side of the pass and explored a little - quite windy, but still added over 20 species, including Northern Brown Argus, my only Bath Whites of the trip and a trio of graylings - Corsican, Southern and Great Banded Graylings. Red Kites overhead, a few Crossbills in pines.

Late afternoon now, we continued on our way, a massive patch of Buddleias forcing the next stop as we passed through the mountain village of Venico - an impressive patch by any standard, Buddleia in full flower filled an entire gully and upon them, perhaps 150 or more butterflies. Painted Ladies and Silver-washed Fritillaries in the main, but also plenty of Small Whites and Clouded Yellows, along with smaller numbers of Cardinal and Queen of Spain Fritillaries, several Southern Blues and, of note, my only Peacock of the trip.

And that basically concluded the day, I dragged myself away and drove to Marine de Bravone, evening in a very pleasant apartment by the sea.

Big beasties...

Attachments

• Two-tailed Pasha sc 6.jpg
    Two-tailed Pasha sc 6.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Corsican Swallowtail sc 1.jpg
    Corsican Swallowtail sc 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Corsican Swallowtail sc 2.jpg
    Corsican Swallowtail sc 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Corsican Swallowtail sc 3.jpg
    Corsican Swallowtail sc 3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 55
8 July. Asco.

Jagged peaks, wild country, lands of the Lammergeier and Golden Eagle, the Asco-Haut Asco region is not only of dramatic beauty, but it is also one of the best localities on the island for butterflies. And in grand weather, it certainly did not disappoint on this day - 33 species seen, the highest day total of the trip.

Little but withered vegetation until you reach the village of Asco, altitude 650 metres, but then you enter a magical Goldilocks zone - abundant flowers, butterflies everywhere. And literally at the village of Asco it started - at the first hairpin above the village, a massive thistle patch was in full bloom, the purple heads a magnet to butterflies. And so it occupied me for a good hour - a very nice variety, headed by as many as 10 Mallow Skippers, five Tufted Marbled Skippers, a smart Scarce Swallowtail and a Two-tailed Pasha, never a bad mix! Plenty of Small Coppers and Southern Blues, a scattering of Corsican Idas Blues and hundreds of Painted Ladies added mire attraction, along with the first Corsican Heaths of the day and all four of the possible fritillaries.

Flowering bramble becoming common, numerous more stops as I zigzagged up towards Haut Asco, Queen of Spain Fritillaries here, Cleopatras there, a Long-tailed Blue at one stop, two very nice Nettle-tree Butterflies at another. At Haut Asco, altitude 1450 metres, it is a land of Alpine slopes, a rich mix of forest stands and Alpine meadow. And upon this, oodles of butterflies, Painted Ladies still abundant, but now also many hundreds of Corsican Idas Blues, these now pretty much dominant. Southern Blues also common, so too Corsican Heaths, Queen of Spain Fritillaries and Corsican Graylings. Spent quite a while searching for Sardinian Small Tortoiseshell, and kept an eye open for Lammergeier. I really should also have been keeping more of an eye on the sky - though I did see Golden Eagle, I did not see Lammergeier. Difficult sometimes to combine butterflies and birding! No success with Sardinian Small Tortoiseshell either, nor with the Corsican Red-underwing Skipper that I presumed would be on these slopes. No real complaints however, it was a grand day.

Middle afternoon, I decided to descend and return to the coast. From Asco again in the arid lower altitudes, so decided to take a random back route to the coast taking the D71 over hills south-west of Ponte Lecce. Mistake as the roads were of pretty awful condition, and wash-outs resulted in several long detours. Not bad however from the angle of butterflies - among the highlights, two more Scarce Swallowtails, a Purple Hairstreak, 14 Great Banded Graylings on thistles and one very photogenic Two-tailed Pasha. Many Hummingbird Hawk Moths too.

Back at the coast, time for a short break on the beach, predictably no butterflies seen there!

Some from this day...

Attachments

• Scarce Swallowtail sc 3.jpg
    Scarce Swallowtail sc 3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 26
  • Scarce Swallowtail sc 1.jpg
    Scarce Swallowtail sc 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Great Banded Grayling sc 3.jpg
    Great Banded Grayling sc 3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Nettle-tree Butterfly sc 3.jpg
    Nettle-tree Butterfly sc 3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Corsican Fritillary sc 5.jpg
    Corsican Fritillary sc 5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 56
9 July. Col de Sorba & Col de Vizzavona.

Overnight spells of rain, cloud and strong winds at dawn - not a promising start to the day!

With such, adjusted the day's plan to begin with a spot of birding at Col de Sorba, target the two endemics. Parked at Corsican Swallowtail spot just below the pass and gazed out, Crossbills calling in the pines, Coal Tits and Goldcrests in small flocks. No initial sign of either Corsican Nuthatch or Corsican Finch. A short walk down the slope however remedied that - first two Corsican Finches feeding by the roadside, one very close, then the distinctive call of a Corsican Nuthatch right up at the pass itself. Predictably, by the time I hiked up there, the bird had fallen silent and elusive! Searching failed to locate this bird.

With the skies showing considerable brightness, even breaks of blue, I decided to wander back to the Corsican Swallowtail spot. A Corsican Wall Brown appeared, several Painted Ladies too. Then however my attention was distracted - a call from a pine immediately below and there was Corsican Nuthatch, a dapper little thing. Almost immediately, it flew to the next tree, a contorted pine of some age, then proceeded to run up and down for a number of minutes before once again flying, this time up the slope into denser forest. Bird lost, show over, but that had been a welcome little performance.

Still only about 10 am, the day was now looking far better with a broad belt of blue sky edging in. Departed Sorba, drove the 15 km or so to Col de Vizzavona, a somewhat lower pass at 1160 metres and not dominated by pines, but rather upland meadow, deciduous woodland and rich patches of bramble. Hot and sunny now, and a kaleidoscope of butterflies - a fresh brood of Great Banded Graylings, at least 60 dancing around the rocky slopes, Corsican Graylings even more abundant, plus a scattering of Southern Graylings for good measure. Queen of Spain, Cardinal, Silver-washed and Corsican Fritillaries too, plus both gatekeepers, loads of Corsican Heaths, a few Small Heaths and many Speckled Woods and Corsican Wall Browns.

Even more interest among the blues - Southern Blues and Holly Blues as usual, plus quite a number of Corsican Idas Blues. What I almost overlooked however was a very similar species - whilst Corsican Idas Blues have relatively bold spots on the underwing, many on this slope had spots that appeared 'washed out'. Despite their fresh overall appearance, I initially assumed these to be faded individuals ... they were however actually a separate species - Corsican Silver-studded Blue! And, it turned out, many hundreds of them were flying on the slope.

Heat was taken its toil on some visitors - two ladies were being stretchered off the hillside to waiting ambulance, apparent heatstroke. For me however, after a few enjoyable hours of wandering, we retreated to a village some kilometres further - coffee, ice-cream, four Scarce Swallowtails and a Two-tailed Pasha, good stuff. Meandered to the town of Corte, a moderately early finish this day, evening relaxing by a swimming pool, Swifts hurtling around, Red Kite drifting over.

10 July. Haut Asco.

Return to the heights of Asco. Good start with oodles of butterflies active on a hillside full of thistles just above Asco village - among Southern Blues, Northern Brown Argus, Corsican Wall Browns, Southern Gatekeepers and others, no less than five Scarce Swallowtails, a half dozen Cardinal Fritillaries, one Lang's Short-tailed Blue and several Mallow Skippers. A little higher, Corsican Fritillaries and Queen of Spain Fritillaries, plus numerous Silver-washed Fritillaries et al.

Things were about to change however - not long after 10 am, ominous rumbles of thunder and a darkening sky as one enormous storm rolled up the valley! A rapid disappearance of butterflies, soon replaced by torrential rain, thunder echoing around the peaks and bolts of lightning all over the place. Not conducive to searching for butterflies!

Improvement from midday with spells of sunshine returning, Corsican Idas Blues and Corsican Heaths immediately appearing to sun themselves, Corsican Graylings soon after. Cloud however stubbornly lingered on the higher peaks, eventually persuading me to give up on the idea of ascending. Retreated instead to lower altitudes close to Asco village, plenty of butterflies, no new species, but a pretty impressive abundance of Scarce Swallowtails - a total of 16 seen, mostly on thistles.

For a day blighted by cloud, not bad all in all - a total of 23 species seen. Golden Eagle, Corsican Finch and Cirl Buntings also noted.

Browns and graylings

Attachments

• Corsican Wall Brown sc 2.jpg
    Corsican Wall Brown sc 2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • Southern Grayling sc 2.jpg
    Southern Grayling sc 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Great Banded Grayling sc 1.jpg
    Great Banded Grayling sc 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Corsican Grayling sc 2.jpg
    Corsican Grayling sc 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 17
Blues

Attachments

• Corsican Silver-studded Blue sd 1.jpg
    Corsican Silver-studded Blue sd 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Corsican Silver-studded Blue sc 2.jpg
    Corsican Silver-studded Blue sc 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 21
  • Corsican Idas Blue sc 1.jpg
    Corsican Idas Blue sc 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Langs Short-tailed Blue sc 3.jpg
    Langs Short-tailed Blue sc 3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Southern Blue sc 2.jpg
    Southern Blue sc 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 30
11 July. Restonica Valley.

Restonica was a last minute add-on to my itinerary, essentially had visited all the localities I wished to in Corsica, and still had a day to spare.

It does however deserve a far greater accolade than being termed a mere add-on - the valley is stunning, ajd again had I peered more at the sky than the abundant butterflies, I may have seen Lammergeier. As it was, did see Golden Eagle, a couple of Corsican Finches and quite a few Crag Martins, but as per course for the trip, the focus was really on butterflies - no new species, and in many ways a replica of the butterflies at Haut Asco, but what a treat it is to be surrounded by brambles and dwarf plants teeming with Corsican Idas Blues and Corsican Heaths, often dozens on single flower clumps. Still no Sardinian Small Tortoiseshell, maybe in Sardinia I consoled myself.

Plan for the evening was to take ferry back to Sardinia, accommodation booked for the other side. Upon arrival at the port, however, the news was not looking good - me mechanical issues, ferry cancelled! Full credit to Moby Ferries though, for passengers without cars, they chartered small motor cruisers to transport us between the islands ... fantastic, instead of a lumbering ferry, across the waves we sped at sunset, spray in our faces, Scopoli's Shearwaters arching into the skies to a backdrop of the twinkling lights of Bonifacio. A very nice end in to the day.

Time to finish this report!

12 July. Urzulei.

Back in Sardinia, decided upon exploration of some random sites on the eastern side of the Genneargentu mountains. Extreme luck on route with a Plain Tiger spotted on route - a splendid individual cruising alongside the road near Olbia. Unfortunately, the road happened to a motorway, preventing chances to stop and photograph!

At the Genneargentu, first location was just north of Urzulei on the SS 125 road, this proved pretty productive - numerous assorted graylings, three Old World Swallowtails and both Long-tailed and Lang's Short-tailed Blues. Not bad birding too - two Corsican Finches, one Marmora's Warbler, one male Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler, several Cirl Buntings and a bunch of Crag Martins. Not quite so good, I did however leave the car lights on, resulting in a dead battery after just an hour! After a bit of a laborious push, I then bump started down the mountain, thereafter enjoyed a leisurely drive towards the coast. Numerous fine meadows along this road with patches of thistle and bramble - more Old World Swallowtails, lots of Southern Brown Argus, several Cleopatra. Also Spanish Sparrows and Corn Buntings at a few localities, plus stunning Scarlet Darters among the dragonflies and damsels.

Stayed in a campsite near Arbatax - a dump, I was not impressed. Hot, humid, noisy. Its saving grace however was a nearby field full of blues - a short stroll revealing at least 35 Lang's Short-tailed Blues and six Long-tailed Blues.

13 July. Perda Liana.

Departed the coast early and headed west into the limestone hills of the southern Genneargentu. Destination a stunning rock pinnacle at Perda Liana, the grasses around a supposed location for Sardinian Chalkhill Blue. I was probably two or three early for this late season species, but highly productive meadows on route - producing almost 30 species, patches of thistle and bramble alive with butterflies, among the more notable hundreds of Southern Blues and Southern Brown Argus. Also, among the dragonflies and damselflies, found Dainty Bluet, Keeled Skimmer and Southern Skimmer.

A steep rocky climb to Perda Liana, Southern Blues, Corsican Heaths and Southern Graylings the main butterflies adding distraction, but the grasslands surrounding the rock pinnacle were sadly pretty poor in terms of butterflies - a couple of Corsican Idas Blues and a Queen of Spain Fritillary the only species new for the day. Good birding however - Crag Martins swirling around the pinnacle, bunches of Rock Sparrows at its base, two Blue Rock Thrushes on the cliff edge and both Marmora's and Moltoni's Subalpine Warblers in scrub a little lower.

Continued another 30 km to my base for the next few days, the Miramonti Hotel in Seúlo. Very pleasant surprise on arrival - no less than eight Two-tailed Pasha feeding on fallen apricots at the front of the hotel! What a welcome, very cooperative Pashas too, one even settling on my hand for selfie pictures. Added attractions, one Red Admiral also on the apricots, several Speckled Woods and, flying through, one Old World Swallowtail. One young Peregrine here too, hassling a Sparrowhawk.

Two-tailed Pasha

Attachments

• Two-tailed Pasha sc 1.jpg
    Two-tailed Pasha sc 1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Two-tailed Pasha sc 3.jpg
    Two-tailed Pasha sc 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Two-tailed Pasha sc 4.jpg
    Two-tailed Pasha sc 4.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Two-tailed Pasha sc 5.jpg
    Two-tailed Pasha sc 5.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back