• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Divers? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

No... This is not an obscure reference to Ipswich Town footballers.... but rather the large Winter gathering of Divers that apparently fetch up on the Suffolk coast each year.

Does anyone know whether they have turned up yet this year?? and also where the best place to view them might be.... I hear that they are off a place called North Warren, which I can't actually find on the map, but I think is north of Aldeburgh.

Any help gratefully received..... Ruby

Hi Ray,

Not sure about the divers but North Warren RSPB reserve is here. Maybe the reference is to the stretch of coast between Thorpeness and Aldeburgh.

Thanks Robin,

I didn't know it was an RSPB place - I'll have a look.... I'm thinking this could make a good day out - trip round the RSPB and then count a couple of thousand Divers in the sea!!

All the best....

PS Have you been out and about lately?? Work is proving a bit of a limiting factor for me at the moment....

Ruby said:
PS Have you been out and about lately?? Work is proving a bit of a limiting factor for me at the moment....
Only getting out at weekends at the mo because of work - mustn't grumble I suppose. We have just had a good long weekend in Norfolk. Got myself one "lifer" - the Lesser Yellowlegs.

Only been to North Warren once - that was in the F&M year and most of it was out of bounds. It was May and I do remember standing on a path at dusk with a booming bittern on one side and a singing nightingale on the other. Magic!

I have seen masses of red-throated divers in winter from Minsmere coast.
That also makes for more interest in one location.

James

robinm said:
Only getting out at weekends at the mo because of work - mustn't grumble I suppose. We have just had a good long weekend in Norfolk. Got myself one "lifer" - the Lesser Yellowlegs.

Only been to North Warren once - that was in the F&M year and most of it was out of bounds. It was May and I do remember standing on a path at dusk with a booming bittern on one side and a singing nightingale on the other. Magic!

Spookily enough, I did manage to pop into Stiffkey myself (happened to be passing!!) and was pleased to see the LY.

I had been a bit concerned about finding it in a place that I was not familiar with, but it turned out be be very co-operative...

Haven't had chance to get down there for a while so don't know if they've been about this year. Nor would i want to say it's the best place ..... but i have seen them from Minsmere. ... 100's, if not 1000's of them.

Red-throated Divers in Suffolk

Ruby said:
Does anyone know whether they have turned up yet this year?? and also where the best place to view them might be.... I hear that they are off a place called North Warren, which I can't actually find on the map, but I think is north of Aldeburgh.

Hi Ruby,

my understanding is that the area they've been known to turn up is more or less to the south of Minsmere, which by my reckoning would make it around Sizewell/Thorpeness. I don't know how regularly they occur close to the coast in spectacular numbers - they tend to occur further offshore in the middle of the outer Thames Estuary, but can form dense flocks anywhere between Lowestoft and the Medway in Kent, depending on where there are good feeding conditions.

Timing - there should certainly be a few about at the moment, but I wouldn't expect the numbers to have built up by until early January. They've only just dispersed from coastal waters where they moult here in Scotland.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on - PM me if you get a chance.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Webb said:
Hi Ruby,

my understanding is that the area they've been known to turn up is more or less to the south of Minsmere, which by my reckoning would make it around Sizewell/Thorpeness. I don't know how regularly they occur close to the coast in spectacular numbers - they tend to occur further offshore in the middle of the outer Thames Estuary, but can form dense flocks anywhere between Lowestoft and the Medway in Kent, depending on where there are good feeding conditions.

Timing - there should certainly be a few about at the moment, but I wouldn't expect the numbers to have built up by until early January. They've only just dispersed from coastal waters where they moult here in Scotland.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on - PM me if you get a chance.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

There have been increasing numbers of Divers seen moving about off the Kent coast, both North and South.

I'll certainly post if/when I do manage to get up there.... I do fancy seeing this, but it's a fair way from where I live, so not a journey to be undertaken lightly!! (hence the cry for help...)

Living just 10 minutes from minsmere, north warren and sizewell i can tell you that the numbers of divers, almost all red-throated have started to disperse. Large numbers can sometimes be seen flying some distance out to sea, but heve not been close inshore. Your best bet is minsmere as at the other places mentioned th birds are more distant, plus large numbers 300+ Gc Grebe on the sea.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back