• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Safety (1 Viewer)

pbyrne

Hi all

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if it has, then I apologise for repeating it, but I feel that it is a subject that needs to be reinforced for anyone coming into birdwatching.

As an amateur astronomer one of the first things that you are told when using binoculars or a telescope is never turn them towards the sun, instant blindness will be the result, this lesson is drummed in, there are warning labels on telescopes about the danger.

When it comes to birdwatching, no one is going to deliberately turn their binoculars towards the sun, however, when you are following a moving bird, then it is all too easy to wander into the sun's glare, remember, all it takes is a fraction of a second for blindness to occur. When I am out and the sun is shining, I am always aware as to the position of the sun, if a quarry is in the direction of the sun, if you cannot get into shade, then leave it alone. Even the rarest bird is not worth going blind for.

Always play it safe with the sun.

Paul

I think most people will inadvertently cross the sun with their binoculars at some point. I sure have. It is not pleasant but I'm not blind.

Still wise advice, even if you won't go insta-blind it certainly can't be good for you, especially with high magnifications.

I read similar advice about digital cameras years ago: that you can burn-out pixels on the sensor if you accidentally point it at the sun too long. Not sure if that still holds true.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back