• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow or weaver ID from Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

saad mahmood

Respected Birders, recorded this bird today morning from outskirt of Dhaka, in open field area full of grassland. There a a couple and they with local house sparrows initially in a tree to pick berries. But distinguished dark colour of the pair clearly separates them from house sparrows.

Looking for your kind support in identification of the species. Thanks in advance

Saad

Attachments

• _MG_3921-BF 1.jpg
    _MG_3921-BF 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 28
  • _MG_3920- BF2.jpg
    _MG_3920- BF2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 18
  • _MG_3915-BF3.jpg
    _MG_3915-BF3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hello Saad, I believe your bird is a melanistic house sparrow - I can't see any features which suggest any other species. I've seen large numbers of melanistic tree sparrows in some Asian cities for example Bangkok, not sure if this is due to pollution, diet or something else.

Yes, definitely a house sparrow. Possibly melanistic as dwatsonbirder said.

Saad, if you have facebook and want faster IDs you can post on the Birds Bangladesh group to get ID from local birders. But posting here works great too!

Hi Seth Miller, nice of you to coming up with your expert opinion and seconding Daniel's remarks. I am an old member of Bird Bangladesh. But I always prefer to get expert opinion from global experts like you first from here before sharing there. Cheers :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back