• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Idea for 4 weeks in winter/ spring and autumn/ winter (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello together,

I look for ideas of bird tours for 4 weeks or more.
Costs maximum 3.000 Euro included international flight.

I visited 3 x Thailand since March 2017.
Now I want visit other countries.

Ideal countries, where escape distance of birds is low, like Argentina or US.
In Thailand was escape dsitance high as in Europa. This makes bird watching in deep forest very difficult.
On the other hand Thailand is very easy to travel and crime rate is very low.
Food and sleeping in teent is easy in each national park.

I wood prefer coutry where is possible to sleep in national park, get food easy there and rather lower crime rate.

Any suggestions ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Maybe try Ecuador e.g. Mindo area. Can stay there fairly cheaply and there's a huge bird list within an hour or two's travel. Birds can be seen very closely in lots of situations (particularly at feeders). It's easy to do.

The least shy birds I ever had were in Ethiopia and India.
I guess it is, besides most birds in those countries being birds of drier forest and more open country, also a cultural thing (in some areas there is hardly any hunting pressure so birds are not shy).

That being said, I feel Ecuador or Costa Rico could be a very good intro in Neotropical birding. Birds are not that shy, many feeders (fruit, hummingbirds, worm feeders,...) and good flock activity resulting in many new species without having to 'work' seeing them (ofcourse you will have work ID-ing them!).

In terms of safety, I never had any problems anywhere but while I feel most big cities and areas in Asia (and even Africa) are generally safer than in S-America, the big cities are exactly what I avoid anywhere while planning logistics (e.g. after arrival in a big city on the airport, I try to rush out of the city and spend my first night already in a birdy place in the countryside)

Thank You very much for the information.

@Temmie, I do the same, from airport directly into nationalparks.
In countries with high crime rate, the most happened in big cities.
I think in protected area or national parks in US is saver than in Germany.

Costa Rica was on my wish list, but I think sleeping in national parks is impossible.

Andrew, Equador sounds interesting, because I also like wild flowers.
Equador has 3.700 different kind of orchids.
I was 2 times in Bolivia many years ago, but only for mountain climbing.

@DMW: India I have to check.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back