• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pizzey & Knight App (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Is the P&K app good value?

I believe you don't need the internet to use it when out in the field, which I think would be important.

The other option appears to be the Morcombe's Birds of Australia; but I'm struggling to understand what they mean by:

Please ensure you use a WiFi connection to prevent additional data costs

Does this mean you do need an internet connection to use it?

I don’t know either one but checked the App Store: it seems that the P&K is more complete, with a higher number of species included.

Niels

Thanks Niels.

I'm not too good at these things and always afraid I might miss something obvious, or mis-read something (the times I've fallen into traps not knowing the terminology properly).

I've got the Morcomb app and you definitely don't need an Internet connection to access the field guide and audio recordings, at least in the version I have. It's possible there are some ancillary features that require a connection.

Delia, I think that means a one-time download to install the guide, rather than the need for ongoing Internet connection. I have the guide on my mobile and have never needed a connection to actually use it.

I don't have the Pizzey app to compare, but the Morcomb guide seems reasonably good.

Aaah!! OK thanks Duncan. Afraid things like that virtually have to be spelt out in 2 letter words, or I get lost LOL.

I agree with Duncan: first you install the app itself, but that is an empty shell. To fill in the images, text and sounds, it needs the second download. That has been the two step process with the field guide apps I have on my devices. The warning is there for you to make sure you are connected by wifi before doing the second download because it is big.

Niels

Thanks for that explanation Niels.

It's some time since I downloaded the Collins app to my phone and can't remember all the ins and outs of doing it. Just surprise that it worked LOL.

Of course I did it at home, so had the wifi here anyway so never thought about it.

Morecombe is good for the sounds. Illustrations get bagged a bit but I cope (I know what I'm looking for most of the time anyway so it doesn't bother me too much). P&K better, but since I already had Morecombe (which was first to market) I didn't perceive the improvement to be worth paying for a second Australian phone app!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back