• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Portugal bird (No 1 thread) (1 Viewer)

Reader

Hi all

In May 1999 I had a birding holiday on the Algarve in Portugal. On one of the days I went out on my own and stopped at one of the many bridges you cross over along the road from Castro Marim to Mertola. I spotted two Martin species flying around near to the bridge. I watched them for over an hour. They landed on the ledge of the bridge and I managed to take a couple of photos of them, not very good I admit, but I had to lean over the biridge at an angle to even get these shots.

I had the photos developed straight away as I had worked out what I thought they were and reported them the next day to the ringing station at Alvor. They tentatively agreed with my assessment and sent someone out to see if they could find them to verify my ID but of course they were no longer there. The notes in my log book were as folows:

Poss Crag Martin but didn't have the spotted chin or throat. Seemed lighter in colour on the underwing, in fact lighter in colour throughout the underbody. Flight jerky, laboured, not smooth. My impression overall was of a slighly smaller bird but that could be my imagination as there were no Crag Martins about to make a direct comparison, allthough I did see quite a few later on in the day and they further convinced me of my ID. If only I could have proved my ID as it was possible that I had seen a possible 1st for Portugal (if the people at Alvor were correct).

I will post another thread to show the 2nd photo for you to see.

Obviously I haven't had these birds confirmed but I am relatively happy with my ID but I am willing to change my mind if one the experts on this forum could tell me that I am wrong.

See what you think?

Attachments

• martin1.jpg
    martin1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
JuncoJo

It is rare to watch a potential lifer for so long. I still haven't had these birds confirmed but even so it was a challenge trying to work them out. The scenery where they were helped also.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back