• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-throated Hawk vs variable (Chile) (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I have just returned from a trip to Chile, and there will be many more questions and confirmations coming, but here is the first one.

I saw a very white hawk in central Chile near some Notophagus forest, in a location (Vilches) where I also saw several Variable hawk. Basically, I only saw the underside, and it was basically similar to the form of variable hawk that has white underside with dark hood except that this bird did not show any signs of the strong black subterminal band on the tail that VH has. The bird I am talking about had a strong secondary bulge and a rather narrow hand; Jaramillo's book states that the trailing edge of the wing is straight in WtH, contra what is shown in the drawing. The bird I saw had darker flight feathers than coverts, and I did not see dark on the sides of the body if it was present (low fly over, from straight ahead, no views from the side).

So the questions are:
Can this observation be explained by variable hawk, does that species show adult-like underside without black tail band?

Can this observation be explained by WTH? Which shape of the wing does this species really have?

thanks
Niels

I may finally have answered one part of my question, because I found this image of a WtH that clearly shows a secondary bulge and not a straight back edge of the wing.

The Ebird range map for the species shows observations from the area I visited.

The other half of the question still remains: can Variable Hawk occur with whitish underside but lacking black subterminal band on the tail?

Niels

Hey Niels,
I think you are pretty safe to say that it was a WtH because of it having having the terminal black tail-band. In regards to your second question I don't think I can help you.

Check out my blog and see if you visited any of the places I talk about.
Take care

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back