• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madagascar Ibis (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
White-winged Ibis

Discussion thread for White-winged Ibis. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

-------------

Common name consensus:
Clements: Madagascar Ibis
H&M: Madagascar Crested Ibis
S&M: White-winged Ibis

Clements and H&M do agree on one thing - the use of "Madagascar" in the name. Thoughts?

Discussion thread for White-winged Ibis. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

-------------

Common name consensus:
Clements: Madagascar Ibis
H&M: Madagascan Crested Ibis
S&M: White-winged Ibis

Clements and H&M do agree on one thing - the use of "Madagascar" in the name. Thoughts?

This does not seem that simple. According to Avibase, some authorities consider the Madagascan subspecies of Sacred Ibis an independent species, under the name of Madagascar Ibis. If we want the least possible amount of confusion, we should therefore follow H&M. Notice my correction of a spelling error.

Niels

This does not seem that simple. According to Avibase, some authorities consider the Madagascan subspecies of Sacred Ibis an independent species, under the name of Madagascar Ibis. If we want the least possible amount of confusion, we should therefore follow H&M. Notice my correction of a spelling error.

Niels

I follow you. And I noticed that too about the Sacred Ibis subspecies. I'll throw together a disambig page for "Madagascar Ibis".

Although allow me to note, "Madagascan Crested Ibis" could cause confusion with "Crested Ibis", Nipponia nippon. I've made a little redirect text on Crested Ibis page.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back