BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Bird Identification Q&A (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Odd Bird on Feeder in mid August in Washington DC Area (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=382221)

SarahNoVa Friday 11th October 2019 13:42

Odd Bird on Feeder in mid August in Washington DC Area

3 Attachment(s)
I live in the Washington DC area. In mid August I noticed this bird on my feeder eating sunflower chips. It was on the feeder twice that day and each time stayed for a long time (didn't flit away and come back). I took these photos. Later I removed the screen in hopes of a clearer shot, but it never returned to the feeder. The shape of the head, narrow neck, the crest down the back and the long, slightly curved bill caught my attention. As I recall, the bill was yellowish. Its belly was light grayish and had black or brown spots. From what I could see, its back looked rather drab, though my viewing angle wasn't great. A staff member at the Audubon Society wondered if it was an immature pileated woodpecker, but the crest wasn't red. Its feet were grasping the underside of the feeder. I estimate its length was about 6 inches head to tip of tail.

The Bird Nuts Friday 11th October 2019 13:45

I think it's a Carolina Wren with a lot of its feathers missing.

SarahNoVa Friday 11th October 2019 14:16

Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.

howiewu Friday 11th October 2019 14:26

It is a Carolina Wren, you can see the eye stripe.

KC Foggin Friday 11th October 2019 19:00

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Carolina Wren as well.

And BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum ;)

dalethorn Friday 11th October 2019 20:19

It sure doesn't match Carolina Wrens I see. The tuft of feathers on back of the head, the head shape, and long beak that doesn't taper from the head - all look different.

The Bird Nuts Friday 11th October 2019 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalethorn (Post 3905793)
It sure doesn't match Carolina Wrens I see. The tuft of feathers on back of the head, the head shape, and long beak that doesn't taper from the head - all look different.

That's because it's missing a lot of feathers.

Birdbrain22 Friday 11th October 2019 20:49

100% Carolina Wren... with a bunch of feathers missing like others have said.

Birdbrain22 Friday 11th October 2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahNoVa (Post 3905689)
Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.

Carolina Wrens are all over my suet feeder here... upside down and all. It is not unusual for them.

Daveg22152 Saturday 12th October 2019 02:37

Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.

howiewu Saturday 12th October 2019 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveg22152 (Post 3905852)
Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.

A Downy Woodpecker wouldnít have that downcurved bill. Itís definitely a Carolina Wren.

rollingthunder Saturday 12th October 2019 06:58

We have a coupla Starlings in similiar condition and they look a different species, whether it is a skin or mite infection i donít know but that looks like a Carolina Wren to me:t:

Laurie -

Microtus Saturday 12th October 2019 09:46

It's a Carolina Wren, missing many feathers.