BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Birds & Birding (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Garden/Yard List 2020 (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=384988)

KenM Thursday 30th January 2020 10:17

I inadvertently miscounted my Starling as no.46 when it should have been 48. that withstanding, slid out my back gate this am struggling to stay upright! (not drink..but the mud) looked up to see low at canopy height all dark Buzzard heading South, a quick glance through the bins in the gloom revealed an all dark bird (even the hands), too late to unzip the camera bag. Reprimanding myself for not being prepared..when another Buzzard appeared on the same trajectory and height as the first, however managed a short film clip, then as it disappeared through the canopy another bird appeared again very low coming towards out the gloom. Right overhead despite my best attempts the sodding camera wouldn’t focus on imm.(fem.I think) Accipter gentilis looking very Harrier like as it creased my neighbour’s roof going East no.49.

halftwo Thursday 30th January 2020 17:43

Wow, seems they are at least annual at your place, Ken.

I think bimillennial here!

Nothing new today (been out looking at a Rough-legged Buzzard) but a second Raven was nice.

KenM Thursday 30th January 2020 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by halftwo (Post 3954191)
Wow, seems they are at least annual at your place, Ken.

Backing on to 6000 acres of deciduous woodland H, at it’s narrowest point running NE-SW (c6miles in length), a sort of conduit,...kinda helps concentrate “lost souls” on passage. :t:

jnicholes Thursday 30th January 2020 21:57

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 716763

13) American Goldfinch

This picture is just too darn cute!

jnicholes Thursday 30th January 2020 21:58

My mistake. its 12, not 13.

jasperpatch Friday 31st January 2020 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenM (Post 3953303)
Great shot of a Barred Owl Jasper!...here's mine from Oregon a few years back now and looking somewhat greyer....probably a senior.:-O

Ha! I'm getting greyer, but not counting myself as senior quite yet!
Our local Barreds can be very accommodating, though they always give off an aloof air. We have hammocks set up outside, and one has flown in to one of the trees we're hanging from, and stayed put for over an hour. Not such a regular sight so far this year, but we've had less snow so they haven't been as reliant on hunting the under the feeder voles.

jasperpatch Friday 31st January 2020 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3953713)
'Just' a yard tick ... still not bad, depending on how long you've been recording or how common/nice a bird they generally are. I've only had a handful of 'Garden lifers', probably the case for others on here?

You got me thinking about Garden lifers. I only started listing properly soon after we moved to this place, so I'll edit out those that I likely saw before but didn't have written down. That leaves me with:
Eastern Whippoorwill - heard only. The only heard only bird I've got on my list. Would love to see one one day!
Yellow-billed cuckoo - heard from bed and went to investigate as I didn't have a clue what it was. Tracked it down, then ran home to wake up Dad who was visiting, lifer for both of us. I've only seen one since.
Northern Saw-whet Owl. Turned up on my birthday in 2018. Partner still claims he organised it as a gift!

Three very nice birds indeed. Wonder what will be next!

jnicholes Friday 31st January 2020 18:35

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 716820

Remember the American Kestrel I said was a local? Well, I finally got a great picture of it. It was roosting on my backyard fence. It looks like it was interested in my backyard pet.

Attachment 716821

I was thinking to myself, "First off, that rabbit, (Named Sophie,) is very territorial. She killed a cat and chased off a red tailed hawk once. Second off, she is 3 times your size. You dont stand a chance against Sophie."

Then, the kestrel dove towards its prey in my backyard. I saw it happen. I think it saw a mouse.

Unfortunately, it missed and flew off.

It was a good experience seeing an American Kestrel in action.

Jared

KC Foggin Friday 31st January 2020 18:48

Lucky you and lucky for Sophie.

Wow, my daughter had rabbits as pets and it would never occur to me that they could kill another animal as they always seemed so peaceful.

jnicholes Friday 31st January 2020 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Foggin (Post 3954563)
Lucky you and lucky for Sophie.

Wow, my daughter had rabbits as pets and it would never occur to me that they could kill another animal as they always seemed so peaceful.

Some rabbits are very peaceful like that, but some of them are very territorial. Take mine for instance. She is a Netherland Dwarf Californian mix, unspayed. She is VERY territorial.

KC Foggin Friday 31st January 2020 18:57

I learn something every day ;)

dantheman Friday 31st January 2020 19:03

Our rabbit used to chase all the cats out of the garden - it was only a small ordinary bunny, wasn't aware it was a thing. Lots of cats here. Might have to get another if we start feeding the birds sometime ...

Q - are these territorial killer rabbits tolerant of birds, or is it anything that moves?

jnicholes Friday 31st January 2020 19:05

Mine tolerates Birds, until the birds actually threatened her. Here's a good example. I had a red-tailed hawk go after her once. She chased off. It was a long time ago.

dantheman Friday 31st January 2020 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperpatch (Post 3954553)

Three very nice birds indeed. Wonder what will be next!

Nice indeed :t:

It gets harder to get garden/yard lifers if you've done too much birding ... in more recent years my only UK one was Corncrake, and can't realistically expect anything else unfortunately now. Wallcreeper was nearly a W Europe tick from the parents garden in France a few years back (saw it from nearby earlier in the day), same bird though.

dantheman Friday 31st January 2020 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 3954571)
Mine tolerates Birds, until the birds actually threatened her. Here's a good example. I had a red-tailed hawk go after her once. She chased off. It was a long time ago.

Ta. We have 3 cats on one side, 2 on the other. Some of them look elderly. Haven't dared start encouraging any birds in yet (it's mostly concrete at the moment, but that will all change).

Don't want to set up a feeding station of local robins, tits and finches for the local felines without thinking it through!

dantheman Friday 31st January 2020 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3952808)
Garden Mega today! - was looking out the front window when saw two

25) Feral Pigeon fly over

Very nearly forgot.

26) Sparrowhawk

over adjoining gardens in the rain this afternoon.

Richard Prior Saturday 1st February 2020 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3954573)
Nice indeed :t:

It gets harder to get garden/yard lifers if you've done too much birding ... in more recent years my only UK one was Corncrake, and can't realistically expect anything else unfortunately now. Wallcreeper was nearly a W Europe tick from the parents garden in France a few years back (saw it from nearby earlier in the day), same bird though.

I can echo that Dan, after 14 years living in France I have only the one lifer from/in the garden, Tengmalm's Owl, which I've heard from both here and our previous place.

As far as new species for the Garden/Yard, that already becomes difficult after just one year, to illustrate: clocked up 90 species in the first year and a bit here, added six new ones in 2018 :
Hoopoe Red Kite Lesser Whitethroat Middle Spotted Woodpecker Merlin Skylark
and just two in 2019: Northern Wheatear and Pine Bunting (the latter was a French tick for me and the first record for Haute-Savoie:t:)

I just need to find two more to reach 100 for our current Garden List, Whinchat, Pygmy Owl and Red-billed Chough all breed within 5kms so they're the glaring omissions I suppose :eek!:

Richard Prior Saturday 1st February 2020 08:07

1 Attachment(s)
February off to a good start with two additions early this morning:

35 Woodpigeon
36 Siskin

I was beginning to think it would be next winter before I saw a Siskin, this one was all on its own so I don't think it heralds an influx ;)

halftwo Saturday 1st February 2020 09:14

Still no Siskins nor Redpolls in this neck of the woods

KenM Saturday 1st February 2020 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by halftwo (Post 3954700)
Still no Siskins nor Redpolls in this neck of the woods

Ditto.....:-C

Warixenjalka Sunday 2nd February 2020 16:29

I remember (now) three Lifers from this garden: Honey Buzzard, Arctic Skua and White-winged Crossbill.

jasperpatch Sunday 2nd February 2020 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warixenjalka (Post 3955154)
I remember (now) three Lifers from this garden: Honey Buzzard, Arctic Skua and White-winged Crossbill.

I saw my lifer white-winged crossbills yesterday, though not in the garden!

jnicholes Monday 3rd February 2020 22:01

Well, a Red Tailed Hawk just attempted to attack my rabbit. It was getting ready to dive when I saw it hovering over my rabbit run.

I love watching Hawks in action, but I couldnt allow this to happen.

I immediately went outside and yelled at the top of my lungs, "HEY! GET AWAY FROM THERE! Sophie immediately ran into her hutch and the hawk flew off empty handed.

As tough as she is, I need to cover that run.

Jared

birdmeister Monday 3rd February 2020 22:07

Recent days have seen unseasonably warm temperatures. It should come as no surprise, then, that small flocks of

20. Red-winged Blackbirds

have been about.

Jefferson Shank Tuesday 4th February 2020 01:54

44. Pileated Woodpecker
45. Ring-billed Gull
46. Herring Gull
47. Great Black-backed Gull
48. Boat-tailed Grackle