BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Birds & Birding (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Garden/Yard List 2020 (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=384988)

dantheman Tuesday 4th February 2020 11:50

On the wave of the crests ...
 
... well not quite, but one of each on consecutive days ...

Mabe garden list:

3rd Feb

27) Goldcrest one very active individual working the back garden hedge in the rain

4th Feb

28) Firecrest one calling and then seen briefly (no bins) in the small front garden conifer

later, whilst going out to hang the washing;

29) Coal Tit
30) Starling one distantly in flight



Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3954576)
26) Sparrowhawk


Warixenjalka Wednesday 5th February 2020 07:51

#23. Northern Great Grey Shrike - All time second. :t:

halftwo Wednesday 5th February 2020 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3955772)
... well not quite, but one of each on consecutive days ...

Mabe garden list:

3rd Feb

27) Goldcrest one very active individual working the back garden hedge in the rain

4th Feb

28) Firecrest one calling and then seen briefly (no bins) in the small front garden conifer

later, whilst going out to hang the washing;

29) Coal Tit
30) Starling one distantly in flight

Firecrest before Starling?!

What the what?!!

Richard Prior Wednesday 5th February 2020 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by halftwo (Post 3956069)
Firecrest before Starling?!

What the what?!!

I'd be happy to see either:C

birdmeister Thursday 6th February 2020 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson Shank (Post 3955679)
44. Pileated Woodpecker
45. Ring-billed Gull
46. Herring Gull
47. Great Black-backed Gull
48. Boat-tailed Grackle

Your yard doesn't happen to be in Pennsylvania, does it? Boat-tailed Grackle would be an absolutely epic yard bird!

Jefferson Shank Thursday 6th February 2020 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson Shank (Post 3955679)
44. Pileated Woodpecker
45. Ring-billed Gull
46. Herring Gull
47. Great Black-backed Gull
48. Boat-tailed Grackle

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdmeister (Post 3956263)
Your yard doesn't happen to be in Pennsylvania, does it? Boat-tailed Grackle would be an absolutely epic yard bird!

No, the last 4 were from a visit to New Jersey shore. LOL! I didn't know this was our own place/yard only?

Warixenjalka Thursday 6th February 2020 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson Shank (Post 3956272)
No, the last 4 were from a visit to New Jersey shore. LOL! I didn't know this was our own place/yard only?

Yes, your sightings from your own (or rented) yard only. And only from one place at a year. (=> Not from every garden you might own.)

I thought that next new woodpecker in my garden would be Grey-headed but yeasterday:

#24. White-backed Woodpecker - Female visited couple of times and ate apple! :eek!: I didn't know they do that... Anyway, It's a nice to have garden lifers. :king: I hope this isn't the only one for this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_S...ature=youtu.be

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 06:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warixenjalka (Post 3956305)
Yes, your sightings from your own (or rented) yard only. And only from one place at a year. (=> Not from every garden you might own.)

From a few years back I recall you could have multiple sites, on the basis that it's a kinda fun thing (and presumably as long as you don't mix them).

... so if you regularly visit a relative's garden for an extended visit, why not, as long as you don't pretend it's yours? If you own eg a summer cabin, count that, but separately.

Agree you can't count a whole state or country though ;) (...what is land ownership anyway?!)

Richard Prior Thursday 6th February 2020 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3956308)
From a few years back I recall you could have multiple sites, on the basis that it's a kinda fun thing (and presumably as long as you don't mix them).

... so if you regularly visit a relative's garden for an extended visit, why not, as long as you don't pretend it's yours? If you own eg a summer cabin, count that, but separately.

Agree you can't count a whole state or country though ;) (...what is land ownership anyway?!)

Correct, no reason not to have a list for separate places, holiday home, town flat, chateau where you live most of the time;), but not all added together on one list!

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jefferson Shank (Post 3956272)
No, the last 4 were from a visit to New Jersey shore. LOL! I didn't know this was our own place/yard only?

Note the thread title ... ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prior (Post 3956317)
Correct, no reason not to have a list for separate places, holiday home, town flat, chateau where you live most of the time;), but not all added together on one list!

How many of yours can you see from your current abode? #wheredidiputthatchateaunow

KenM Thursday 6th February 2020 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warixenjalka (Post 3956305)
Yes, your sightings from your own (or rented) yard only. And only from one place at a year. (=> Not from every garden you might own.)

I thought that next new woodpecker in my garden would be Grey-headed but yeasterday:

#24. White-backed Woodpecker - Female visited couple of times and ate apple! :eek!: I didn't know they do that... Anyway, It's a nice to have garden lifers. :king: I hope this isn't the only one for this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_S...ature=youtu.be

Well done Wari...what a great addition!..on the “furniture”garden lifers are rather special, to that I can attest. :t:

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by halftwo (Post 3956069)
Firecrest before Starling?!

What the what?!!

Mmm. Starling might even be a year tick, can't recall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prior (Post 3956080)
I'd be happy to see either

Can't you just string a nutcracker into one? ;)

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warixenjalka (Post 3956305)

#24. White-backed Woodpecker - Female visited couple of times and ate apple! :eek!: I didn't know they do that... Anyway, It's a nice to have garden lifers.

Very nice, you're on a roll of good birds, and to get it on video too! I still need WB for the WP.

Richard Prior Thursday 6th February 2020 10:01

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3956325)
Mmm. Starling might even be a year tick, can't recall.



Can't you just string a nutcracker into one? ;)

Yer cheeky monkey, stop casting nasturtiums as my Gran used to say. Took a picture of our humble abode for you on my way back from the village just now, we are of course the little one in the middle, we’m simple folk oh arr.
Three species seen on my walk that haven’t made it onto 2020’s Garden List ( Starling8-P, Goldcrest and Long-tailed Tit), so hoping for some additions soon.

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prior (Post 3956359)
Yer cheeky monkey, stop casting nasturtiums as my Gran used to say. Took a picture of our humble abode for you on my way back from the village just now, we are of course the little one in the middle, we’m simple folk oh arr.
Three species seen on my walk that haven’t made it onto 2020’s Garden List ( Starling8-P, Goldcrest and Long-tailed Tit), so hoping for some additions soon.

Ha, that wasn't a slight on your personal birding credentials ... any report of a vagrant Nutcracker in the UK, garden or otherwise,usually turns out to be a nicely spotted Starling, so why not reverse string??

Need to photograph my back garden to showcase the amazing wildlife habitats here in the UK for this thread ...

dantheman Thursday 6th February 2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3955772)
30) Starling one distantly in flight

Mabe Garden List

5th Feb 2020

31) Bullfinch. A nice female in the back hedge for a few minutes.

jnicholes Friday 7th February 2020 14:10

Been hearing a lot of Red Winged Blackbirds this morning. Havent seen any yet, though.

jasperpatch Friday 7th February 2020 15:29

12 Pine Siskin

First one I've seen in the garden since May 2018. Though it was here so briefly who knows how many have nipped in and out without me noticing!

KenM Friday 7th February 2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasperpatch (Post 3956764)
12 Pine Siskin

First one I've seen in the garden since May 2018. Though it was here so briefly who knows how many have nipped in and out without me noticing!

I’m still pining for mine! ;)

Warixenjalka Sunday 9th February 2020 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3956308)
From a few years back I recall you could have multiple sites, on the basis that it's a kinda fun thing (and presumably as long as you don't mix them).

... so if you regularly visit a relative's garden for an extended visit, why not, as long as you don't pretend it's yours? If you own eg a summer cabin, count that, but separately.

Agree you can't count a whole state or country though ;) (...what is land ownership anyway?!)

You are absolutely right. I had forgotten this, sorry.

Warixenjalka Sunday 9th February 2020 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3956329)
Very nice, you're on a roll of good birds, and to get it on video too! I still need WB for the WP.

Welcome to Finland to watch WbWoodies. :king:

halftwo Monday 10th February 2020 06:46

52: Canada Goose

Two over.

NookoftheAvon Monday 10th February 2020 21:26

Garden List so far...

1. Woodpigeon
2. Robin
3. Blue Tit
4. Great Tit
5. Carrion Crow
6. Jackdaw
7. Coal Tit
8. Long Tailed Tit
9. Nuthatch
10. Treecreeper
11. Blackcap
12. Herring Gull
13. Tawny Owl
14. Blackbird
15. Dunnock
16. Magpie
17. Jay

Steve Lister Wednesday 12th February 2020 10:39

February 12th.

46. Nuthatch - one heard calling not too far away.

Almost three weeks since my last addition - it has been very quiet. The storm on Sunday an a bit of wet snow on Monday produced nothing different at all.

Steve

Richard Prior Wednesday 12th February 2020 15:42

1 Attachment(s)
Not quite such a wait for me, 11 days since my last new ones. No gale blown surprises here either, but nice to see a pair of

37 Long tailed Tit

visit the feeders this afternoon.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018