BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Birds & Birding (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Garden/Yard List 2020 (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=384988)

KenM Wednesday 12th February 2020 16:43

After a particularly poor week, still no poll-skins, virtually no Redwings just a couple of singles in silhouette darting over the canopy looking to roost, a virtual total absence of Goldcrest!!! unheard of at this time of year.

Went out to do some shopping and a coffee break, got back ''on station'' c4.45 then five minutes later I espied a ''Heron'' coming low and from the right heading SSW....not unusual thus I didn't reach for my camera.
Initially in silhouette against a dark cloud before moving against a brighter patch of blue and simultaneously phasing from dark to white with a lot of leg trailing before disappearing behind the canopy.Great White Egret!

FWIW Little Egrets are almost daily here at this time of year, if that wasn't enough...ten minutes later, a Grey lag Goose heading NEast low over my neighbour's house, the latter always on the cards be it just 1-2 sightings per annum, however the former a garden lifer! 50 and 51 respectively. :eek!:

jnicholes Wednesday 12th February 2020 17:53

No additions for me so far. However, if I get a red winged blackbird, I will surely let you know. They've been coming back every morning. I've been hearing them

Richard Prior Wednesday 12th February 2020 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 3958425)
No additions for me so far. However, if I get a red winged blackbird, I will surely let you know. They've been coming back every morning. I've been hearing them

Get that flashlight switched on Jared!;)

halftwo Wednesday 12th February 2020 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 3958425)

You can count heard only birds, J

halftwo Friday 14th February 2020 13:26

Fieldfare - I was beginning to think that I was going to have to wait until next autumn to get these on the list - but 5 went past today.

jnicholes Friday 14th February 2020 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by halftwo (Post 3958469)
You can count heard only birds, J

I would, but I dont know bird calls that well. only a few I know for sure.

jnicholes Friday 14th February 2020 14:09

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 718154

14) Red winged Blackbird.

This ones a male. I got a video of it calling its call. Ill post that in a little bit.

jnicholes Friday 14th February 2020 22:49

15) American Robin.

Was roosting in a Tree near my bird feeder. Didn't get a picture in time.

KenM Sunday 16th February 2020 08:51

Out of the wall to wall “Battleship Grey” only a couple seen most years now...Peregrine going West. no.52.

Paul Chapman Sunday 16th February 2020 19:48

A bit of song between the wind and rain:-

27 - Wren - 13th February
28 - Dunnock - 15th February

All the best

Warixenjalka Monday 17th February 2020 09:27

#25. Goldfinch - I haven't seen these even annually, so very nice addition. 3 of them brighting up a very grey day.

Richard Prior Monday 17th February 2020 11:08

1 Attachment(s)
Looking 'all white' (see what I did there?) for the February Bird of the Month prize so far, a battle between the Finnish woodpecker and the London egret.
Here the first Chaffinches singing on 15th (one day earlier than last year) and a Robin this morning (one day later than last year!). We've still plenty of Brambling but the sole Siskin of this year so far left after a couple of days. One of the Brambling already looking most dapper.
Song Thrush should be back from the south by next weekend I would hope:t:

Paul Chapman Monday 17th February 2020 13:06

My only Brambling so far this year was 4,000 kms away from the garden in the Negev desert. I was a little surprised! Though in hindsight, I shouldn't have been as they do occasionally get that far south in Israel.

All the best

Richard Prior Monday 17th February 2020 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Chapman (Post 3960112)
My only Brambling so far this year was 4,000 kms away from the garden in the Negev desert. I was a little surprised! Though in hindsight, I shouldn't have been as they do occasionally get that far south in Israel.

All the best

I had the same experience back in 1994 Paul, we had some decent numbers in Lebanon too, in the winter of 2005/6 I recall.

NookoftheAvon Monday 17th February 2020 16:48

18. Buzzard
19. Cormorant!

KenM Monday 17th February 2020 17:42

1 Attachment(s)
You get Bramblings on Canaries too. ;)

Plus late arrivals at home, four days to be precise over last years! no.52, on a roll 2 Tufted Duck North no.53.

Warixenjalka Tuesday 18th February 2020 16:18

Very nice double-Milvus! :t:

KenM Tuesday 18th February 2020 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warixenjalka (Post 3960538)
Very nice double-Milvus! :t:

:t:

jasperpatch Wednesday 19th February 2020 15:04

Several hours spent staring out the window logging observations for the GBBC this weekend, just one to add to the year list though, and one that I hadn't realized I'd missed so far.

13 Pileated Woodpecker

Richard Prior Thursday 20th February 2020 12:38

A slow old month so far, been scanning the distant fields down in the valley to no avail, so pleasantly surprised when one of the species I know has already returned there honoured me with a fly past just now, two shiny

38 Starling

Steve Lister Thursday 20th February 2020 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prior (Post 3961062)
been scanning the distant fields down in the valley to no avail,

I can't do that unfortunately. Apart from rooftops and chimneys up to about 200m away all I can see from my little garden is sky. And on a quiet day it is hard to believe how little flies over.

Next time I move it will hopefully be to a nice bungalow (no stairs !!) with great views from the garden. Maybe even a sea view.

Steve

Richard Prior Thursday 20th February 2020 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lister (Post 3961067)
I can't do that unfortunately. Apart from rooftops and chimneys up to about 200m away all I can see from my little garden is sky. And on a quiet day it is hard to believe how little flies over.

Next time I move it will hopefully be to a nice bungalow (no stairs !!) with great views from the garden. Maybe even a sea view.

Steve

Sounds a bit like my old place in Selsey (1988-2004), though the sea view necessitated climbing onto my kidsí slide to see over the fence:eek!:
Not sure a bungalow by the sea is a good investment unless some hefty sea defences are in place Steve;)

Steve Lister Thursday 20th February 2020 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Prior (Post 3961098)
Not sure a bungalow by the sea is a good investment unless some hefty sea defences are in place Steve;)

As it happens I was chatting about this with a Lincs birder last week and he suggested buying a house in the dunes at Anderby Creek on the Lincs coast - migrants and moths in the garden and seawatching from the front windows. When I mentioned erosion he rather rudely said it would likely last 10 or 15 years and do me fine.

Steve

Richard Prior Friday 21st February 2020 04:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Lister (Post 3961205)
As it happens I was chatting about this with a Lincs birder last week and he suggested buying a house in the dunes at Anderby Creek on the Lincs coast - migrants and moths in the garden and seawatching from the front windows. When I mentioned erosion he rather rudely said it would likely last 10 or 15 years and do me fine.

Steve

:eek!: Life expectancy versus coastal erosion rates, one for a mathematician that!

Warixenjalka Friday 21st February 2020 07:34

#26. Goosander