• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monterey CA Shearwater (1 Viewer)

zoutedrop

zoutedrop
Taken in August off the coast of Monterey, CA.
Short-tailed was called out but need confirmation.

thanks

Attachments

• JV8A0561 possible short-tailed.jpg
    JV8A0561 possible short-tailed.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Hi Zoutedrop,
Are there any further images of this bird? In theory, given that the head is in profile here, it should be possible to assess the bill structure accurately: as things stand, it seems perhaps that the bill is relatively compact with a shortish area between the nasal tubes and the maxilliary unguis (namely, the curved area towards the bill tip, this term is used in many seabird papers), which might favour Short-tailed over Sooty, but the image is blurry, making the precise bill structure tricky to assess, and we can't see the underwing, for example.
It may well be possible for others with reasonably extensive experience of both species to sort this out from this single image...I've never seen Short-tailed myself...but any other images may be illuminating.
Regards,
Harry

excellent commentary

I looked at the 6 shots that I have and found a portion of a
wing that had white.... bummer, but good birding. I now
have the joy of looking through 1000 pictures for a dark
under wing. Will post to this thread if I find one.

Thanks!

My gut reaction to head/bill structure is Sooty. Both species have pale on the underwing, it is the extent and location of the pale that is important. Post up the other pictures if you can, they can only help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back