• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagleeye adapter for Videoscoping (1 Viewer)

I would like to share my experience of using the Eagleeye adapter for Videoscoping.This adapter does seem alot of money (around £90) for what is basically a metal tube with thread and screws,but looking at the alternatives, for what i need it for it suffices.As Andy Bright has said they have one possible weakness and that is the filter thread used to attached the adapter which if you are not very careful could be cross threaded,so i always take great care when threading it on.Unlike Andy suggested i cannot leave the adaptor on my camcorder because when i use the camcorder on it's own on the widest setting with the adaptor on i end up filming edges of the adaptor which unfortunately don't show up in my viewfinder but do on my computer.And i like shooting as wider angle as i can for the panoramic shots,also in the future i intend to experiment more with filters.Obviously this trait depends on the wide angle setting of your camcorder and you may get away with leaving the adapter on.Another important point always check the screws are still attached because they can easily become unscrewed and then your'e stuffed (unless you carry spares).I like this type of adapter because i can easily do birding one minute(or more when it's a rarity) then attach it and do filming.Also importantly for me i regularly swap between scope and camcorder on my tripod (with the aid of a spare bag for scope) so these other adapters i find less suitable.For me it's the Eagleeye.

Dear Ian,

I am looking for the "perfect" adapter for my Sony DCRPC330
and SWARO scope : what are the items you bought
from Eagle Eye, and what kind of advice you can can
provide me as to avoid buying wrong items ?

what are the good and the bad points ?

( there is a Cam Mount on the Eagle Eye web site :
does anybody uses this item, and does it make the
difference ? )

many thanks in advance,

Didier

Tattoo ian said:
I would like to share my experience of using the Eagleeye adapter for Videoscoping.This adapter does seem alot of money (around £90) for what is basically a metal tube with thread and screws,but looking at the alternatives, for what i need it for it suffices.As Andy Bright has said they have one possible weakness and that is the filter thread used to attached the adapter which if you are not very careful could be cross threaded,so i always take great care when threading it on.Unlike Andy suggested i cannot leave the adaptor on my camcorder because when i use the camcorder on it's own on the widest setting with the adaptor on i end up filming edges of the adaptor which unfortunately don't show up in my viewfinder but do on my computer.And i like shooting as wider angle as i can for the panoramic shots,also in the future i intend to experiment more with filters.Obviously this trait depends on the wide angle setting of your camcorder and you may get away with leaving the adapter on.Another important point always check the screws are still attached because they can easily become unscrewed and then your'e stuffed (unless you carry spares).I like this type of adapter because i can easily do birding one minute(or more when it's a rarity) then attach it and do filming.Also importantly for me i regularly swap between scope and camcorder on my tripod (with the aid of a spare bag for scope) so these other adapters i find less suitable.For me it's the Eagleeye.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back