• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An inexpensive 6x30? (1 Viewer)

etc

Looking for a quality but not very expensive 6x30? Something that's easy to carry everywhere and not a huge loss if stolen from the car.

Looking for a quality but not very expensive 6x30?.

"There are good optics and there are cheap optics. But, there are no good/cheap optics."—Leif Robinson, Editor, Sky & Telescope

Bill

Last edited:
Kowa YF porro. Considering one for myself to use on (sic!) the kayak, but have some other things that are more important to fix.

//L

WJC
I for one disagree with that. I think there are very decent/good serviceable optics for less than premium prices. Of course it depends on what you mean by inexpensive and good vs great.

I used a pair of Nikon reverse porro compacts that cost me $75 for over 20 years of serious backpacking . When I sold them they still worked like new. They are one of the best pair of optics I've ever owned.

WJC
I for one disagree with that. I think there are very decent/good serviceable optics for less than premium prices. Of course it depends on what you mean by inexpensive and good vs great.

I used a pair of Nikon reverse porro compacts that cost me $75 for over 20 years of serious backpacking . When I sold them they still worked like new. They are one of the best pair of optics I've ever owned.

BC:

I am totally prepared for people not to agree with me. That’s what makes the world go ‘round. But two things pop into my mind. First, the quote was not mine; it was from Leif Robinson, 20 years the editor-in-chief of Sky & Telescope magazine ... AND an avid bird watcher. Secondly, since we have answered more than a dozen rudimentary questions for you, the picture YOU have painted indicates you are not prepared to establish what is or is not quality. You did hit the nail on the head with: “Of course it depends on what you mean by inexpensive and good vs great.” :cat:

Bill

Looking for a quality but not very expensive 6x30? Something that's easy to carry everywhere and not a huge loss if stolen from the car.

ETC,

If a porro design is not an issue for you, THESE 6X30s might meet your needs.

Waterproof, Wide FOV, light weight, wonderful 3D views, great quality and all with a Lifetime Warranty! My 8X30s in this BX-1 design have Amazing quality optics for their modest cost! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
BC:

I am totally prepared for people not to agree with me. That’s what makes the world go ‘round. But two things pop into my mind. First, the quote was not mine; it was from Leif Robinson, 20 years the editor-in-chief of Sky & Telescope magazine ... AND an avid bird watcher. Secondly, since we have answered more than a dozen rudimentary questions for you, the picture YOU have painted indicates you are not prepared to establish what is or is not quality. You did hit the nail on the head with: “Of course it depends on what you mean by inexpensive and good vs great.” :cat:

Bill

Isn't each person responsible for the establishment of what quality means for themselves? I also disagree that I don't have the ability to establish what quality is. I may not have many technical skills with optics but I do know in my fashion from experience what works well optically for myself and very likely for many others using binoculars. Or is this just an area for professionals to reveal to the rest of us? The next post above mine is good evidence it is not IMO.

Not sure what availability is like in the US, but in the UK, Opticron have a 6.5x32 porro that is very inexpensive. I've not seen one in the flesh, but other opticron products I've seen are very good value. The binocular also has an incredibly wide fov, I'm almost tempted to get one myself as a back up to my back up pair of bins...

ETC,

If a porro design is not an issue for you, THESE 6X30s might meet your needs.

Waterproof, Wide FOV, light weight, wonderful 3D views, great quality and all with a Lifetime Warranty! My 8X30s in this BX-1 design have Amazing quality optics for their modest cost! :t:

Ted

Ted:

Your suggestion of the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 is a very good one.
They are well recognized as a nice value in this size.

The Kowa porro is also much the same. Great entry level binoculars, and much more. I have several of these reserved as gifts for my grandkids when they reach the proper age.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0948.JPG
    DSCN0948.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 80
Ted:

Your suggestion of the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 is a very good one.
They are well recognized as a nice value in this size.

The Kowa porro is also much the same. Great entry level binoculars, and much more. I have several of these reserved as gifts for my grandkids when they reach the proper age.

Jerry

Kool Jerry,

Santa brought my four grown sons (2 sons & 2 son-in-laws) each a Leupold BX-1 Yosemite 8X30 for Christmas 2016-they Love em! :king:

Ted

Isn't each person responsible for the establishment of what quality means for themselves? I also disagree that I don't have the ability to establish what quality is. I may not have many technical skills with optics but I do know in my fashion from experience what works well optically for myself and very likely for many others using binoculars. Or is this just an area for professionals to reveal to the rest of us? The next post above mine is good evidence it is not IMO.

Hi, BC:

You are absolutely correct. The INDIVIDUAL is the ultimate judge!

But, there are two sides to every coin. So, please allow me to give my take. Have I, for one, not been Johnny-on-the-spot to do my best to answer each of your myriad questions? That’s so because from my childhood I’ve believed each person who draws a breath should do his or her level best to leave the planet a little better than they found it. Well, there are so few areas in which I can live up to that. For 21 years at Captain’s—speaking face-to-face with many customers daily—I heard optical opinions that ranged from silly through “Did you really go to high school,” to “I didn’t know you could stack BS that high!” Thus, in my own limited way, I try help where I can. From what I understand, you have reading material in your possession that would lay to rest so many of your concerns. But although you can write like the wind, it seems reading is hard for you.

BF has a number of minds that can put me to shame. But most of those who really know what they’re talking about (aberrations, anomalies, and the like) wouldn’t touch one of these bino forums with a 10-foot pole and think I’m silly for doing so. But I come and am often insulted or censured by those who don’t recognize (or refuse to recognize) WHY I do what I do the way I do it. It’s just that I feel the newbie, lurker, or non-English speaker peeking into our little group should be privy to considerably more verifiable facts than from the hip opinions.

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." — Winston Churchill

To me, you’re an enigma, like a fellow trying to sit in the corner of a round room. One minute you’re telling us that you have ADD, don’t know ANYTHING about what to expect from a binocular, and are humbly asking questions about them that millions of happy observers wouldn’t ask or even feel the need to ask. Then, the next minute you start disagreeing with some of the very people who have taken so much time to help you and offer the hand of fellowship. In kindness and humility, I think you need to decide whether or not you need to keep the optical training wheels on and stick with your decision.

WHEN IT COMES TO PERSONAL OPINIONS AND PREFERENCES, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DISAGREE AND I WILL STAND BESIDE YOU AS A FRIEND, ALL THE WAY. But, please understand—based on the things you have said and the experience you’ve told us you don’t have—your disagreements may become subject to further substantiation.

Finally, I am often chided for my straight talk. Nevertheless, there was not one drop of ill-feelings in this whole letter. I just wanted to share a perspective. And, of course, it might be wrong; there was that time back in ’58. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:

Two come to mind that I'd have..I'm going with the quality side vs. the not very expensive side. One is on the BF classified right now and that's a Vortex Viper HD 6X32....$275. That's a good buy! I've heard nothing but good about that model. I've had a 8X32 one of these for years.

The other is the more expensive Maven 6X30.... It's a nice binocular but it will cost you more....again...nothing but good things...

Another option might be a Zeiss Terra 8X32....you can find them here and there for around $200 lf you look hard enough.

Last edited:
Hi, BC:

You are absolutely correct. The INDIVIDUAL is the ultimate judge!

But, there are two sides to every coin. So, please allow me to give my take. Have I, for one, not been Johnny-on-the-spot to do my best to answer each of your myriad questions? That’s so because from my childhood I’ve believed each person who draws a breath should do his or her level best to leave the planet a little better than they found it. Well, there are so few areas in which I can live up to that. For 21 years at Captain’s—speaking face-to-face with many customers daily—I heard optical opinions that ranged from silly through “Did you really go to high school,” to “I didn’t know you could stack BS that high!” Thus, in my own limited way, I try help where I can. From what I understand, you have reading material in your possession that would lay to rest so many of your concerns. But although you can write like the wind, it seems reading is hard for you.

BF has a number of minds that can put me to shame. But most of those who really know what they’re talking about (aberrations, anomalies, and the like) wouldn’t touch one of these bino forums with a 10-foot pole and think I’m silly for doing so. But I come and am often insulted or censured by those who don’t recognize (or refuse to recognize) WHY I do what I do the way I do it. It’s just that I feel the newbie, lurker, or non-English speaker peeking into our little group should be privy to considerably more verifiable facts than from the hip opinions.

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." — Winston Churchill

To me, you’re an enigma, like a fellow trying to sit in the corner of a round room. One minute you’re telling us that you have ADD, don’t know ANYTHING about what to expect from a binocular, and are humbly asking questions about them that millions of happy observers wouldn’t ask or even feel the need to ask. Then, the next minute you start disagreeing with some of the very people who have taken so much time to help you and offer the hand of fellowship. In kindness and humility, I think you need to decide whether or not you need to keep the optical training wheels on and stick with your decision.

WHEN IT COMES TO PERSONAL OPINIONS AND PREFERENCES, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DISAGREE AND I WILL STAND BESIDE YOU AS A FRIEND, ALL THE WAY. But, please understand—based on the things you have said and the experience you’ve told us you don’t have—your disagreements may become subject to further substantiation.

Finally, I am often chided for my straight talk. Nevertheless, there was not one drop of ill-feelings in this whole letter. I just wanted to share a perspective. And, of course, it might be wrong; there was that time back in ’58. :cat:

Bill

I don't feel any ill feelings coming towards me from you and you also have the right to an opinion. I do have trouble with reading and that's the truth. I'm not going to try and convince you of that or of who or what I am because I can't you'll make up your mind about that. It's not my business. My business is to be what the creator made me and make my contributions based on who I am and what I feel.

I know I make plenty of mistakes along the way but I really don't care because that's how life goes and I'm imperfect and I'm doing it the way I want to. I've usually fly by the seat of may pants and that irritates some people. I'm here to have fun learn a few things, make friends, give some opinions that nobody is obliged to take one way or another, and share in the excitement for optics.

When I start breaking the rules or start to feel a general animosity towards what I say here I'll just move on because it's not a fit for me anymore or for all you other fine folk. And I don't plan on resenting it when and if that time comes I just plan to move along.

If you have an issue with the way I present myself put me on ignore if they have that function or refrain from answering any questions you feel inappropriate and just basically ignore me. I stand by the opinions I've shared in this thread. I think they are valid. You haven't convinced me otherwise or that I need to be more respectful and not disagree until I have a degree or have read and absorbed your book to a level you feel is appropriate. I have no hard feelings at all Bill. I value you as a member here and I've learned a few things from you and for that I'm grateful. How I use those things is up to me. :cat:

Last edited:
I don't feel any ill feelings coming towards me from you and you also have the right to an opinion. I do have trouble with reading and that's the truth. I'm not going to try and convince you of that or of who or what I am because I can't you'll make up your mind about that. It's not my business. My business is to be what the creator made me and make my contributions based on who I am and what I feel.

I know I make plenty of mistakes along the way but I really don't care because that's how life goes and I'm imperfect and I'm doing it the way I want to. I've usually fly by the seat of may pants and that irritates some people. I'm here to have fun learn a few things, make friends, give some opinions that nobody is obliged to take one way or another, and share in the excitement for optics.

When I start breaking the rules or start to feel a general animosity towards what I say here I'll just move on because it's not a fit for me anymore or for all you other fine folk. And I don't plan on resenting it when and if that time comes I just plan to move along.

If you have an issue with the way I present myself put me on ignore if they have that function or refrain from answering any questions you feel inappropriate and just basically ignore me. I stand by the opinions I've shared in this thread. I think they are valid. You haven't convinced me otherwise or that I need to be more respectful and not disagree until I have a degree or have read and absorbed your book to a level you feel is appropriate. I have no hard feelings at all Bill. I value you as a member here and I've learned a few things from you and for that I'm grateful. How I use those things is up to me. :cat:

Then I would say we are "all good" as the young'uns say. I consider you a friend and just wanted you to know what my angle is in being here. :cat:

Bill

If others here agree with Bill that I'm being a general nuisance or my posts are inappropriate this is a good time to chime in since it's out here on the table. My ears are open.

Last edited:
If others here agree with Bill that I'm being a general nuisance or my posts are inappropriate this is a good time to chime in since it's out here on the table. My ears are open.

BC:

I didn't say that at all!!!!! I must say, though, you're mighty quick at drawing wrong conclusions. My concern was that it's difficult to impossible to help you, as I'm sure we all want to do, when you're all over the board with your knowledge. Sometimes when I say too much, you say you don't understand. If I say too little, you go away not having a thorough answer. Can't you see? Or perhaps I should just bow out of trying to help at all.:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Well, this is ETC's thread, but have to say...believe all is Cool and right with your postings and sharing, John...Seems Bill feels the same way!!

At one point, We ALL were newbies...many of us still are... and when you, or anyone ask questions or offer advice or even state opinions, I for one read and try to absorb and appreciate all that is said to continue my ever-ending journey of knowledge!!! ;)

Ted

BC:

I didn't say that at all!!!!! I must say, though, you're mighty quick at drawing wrong conclusions. :cat:

Bill

That's what I heard. I'm just showing my stubborn ignorance with many of my posts. But whatever Bill my main point in my response to you can be found in your quote below. And as I said I have no hard feelings here. So even if I'm misunderstanding you it's not out of any malice.

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”—Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, this is ETC's thread, but have to say...believe all is Cool and right with your postings and sharing, John...Seems Bill feels the same way!!

At one point, We ALL were newbies...many of us still are... and when you, or anyone ask questions or offer advice or even state opinions, I for one read and try to absorb and appreciate all that is said to continue my ever-ending journey of knowledge!!! ;)

Ted

BINGO, Ted ... and thanks!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back