• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow-billed Drongo in Thailand (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

Attached picture is a bird I have ID as a Crow-billed Drongo. Spotted in Phetchaburi, Thailand.

Reason. first of all, the hair under and over the bill.

Brownish so it can be a juvenile Bronzed or Black Drongo as they have brown plumage. But the bill is not correct

The area for the Crow-billed Drongo show "IMMIGRANT PASSAGE" and south of this area it is winter/ noon breeding area, limit are about 100km south of the observation spot

Any help with the ID would be very appreciated.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 1572.jpg
    1572.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 43
Bill also very wrong for Crow-billed.
Black for me

Thank you!

I will put it as a "Juvenile" Black because the brown colour

The wear and tear and the angle make it had to ID on the tail. My reason was the hair on the bill

Thank you again and have a pleasant weekend!
Aladdin

Adult Black Drongo for me.

The brownness and the poor quality of the feathers (especially tail and head) are due to bleaching and wear - basically because these feathers have been in the sun for a long time. This suggests that the bird is an adult, with feathers that are probably now a year old and are ready to be replaced by moult. Juveniles at this time of year should have fresh, black feathers because they have just grown (although they will get worn during the winter). A juvenile would also usually have white-tipped feathers on the underparts.

Adult Black Drongo for me.

The brownness and the poor quality of the feathers (especially tail and head) are due to bleaching and wear - basically because these feathers have been in the sun for a long time. This suggests that the bird is an adult, with feathers that are probably now a year old and are ready to be replaced by moult. Juveniles at this time of year should have fresh, black feathers because they have just grown (although they will get worn during the winter). A juvenile would also usually have white-tipped feathers on the underparts.

Thank you johnallcock!

OK, I put it as an adult. Makes me crazy all these books and the description. Juvenile Bronzed and Black say to have brown plumage. But as you say, the tail is very worn.

And like you and me, we look the same from a distance but we look different up close. I guess it is the same with the birds.

Same as they have different personality, one bird don't care about you while the next takes off scared.

Thanks again and I hope the rest of your weekend will be pleasant

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back