BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Butterflies and Moths ID (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=463)
-   -   Some Blues (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385317)

SDV Thursday 9th January 2020 14:33

Some Blues

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

I have terrible trouble with ID'ing butterflies despite browsing numerous guides, especially blues and browns.

These blues were all taken at Martin Down in Hampshire, UK in late August.

Some positive Ids would be very welcome.

andyadcock Thursday 9th January 2020 14:46

I think the first two are female Chalkhill Blues, last ones look like Brown Argus.

WalterRayle Thursday 9th January 2020 15:14

First two are Chalkhill Blue, final ones are Brown Argus - note the orange spots on the forewings which would be largely absent in the similar Common Blue. And I'll be helpful by stating that as a fact rather than being unhelpful by adding a ? which helps no-one.

andyadcock Thursday 9th January 2020 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by WalterRayle (Post 3945045)
First two are Chalkhill Blue, final ones are Brown Argus - note the orange spots on the forewings which would be largely absent in the similar Common Blue. And I'll be helpful by stating that as a fact rather than being unhelpful by adding a ? which helps no-one.

I don't like to be so arrogant as some clearly do, in assuming that I'm always correct, I'll take that '?' away for you then. You don't even need to look at the 'largely absent' orange spots either, the absence of a cell spot in the basal half of the forewing is enough.

Maybe change that name to 'off the Rayles' ..............

SDV Friday 10th January 2020 10:38

Sorry to have provoked such discourse. I was simply wanting some help with IDs. I would still appreciate some help or even suggestions as to IDs on my other posts with regard to Blues photographed on Martin Down.

Dave Pearson Friday 10th January 2020 11:07

Well, I would be more inclined to Adonis Blue for the first two but ready to be shot down by those more knowledgeable than me.

SDV Friday 10th January 2020 11:21

Many thanks Dave. I know that the undersides of the Blues are difficult, about the only one I can do with confidence is the Holly Blue!

As for whether it is Adonis or Chalkhill, hopefully some others will wade in to show their expertise.

andyadcock Friday 10th January 2020 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pearson (Post 3945411)
Well, I would be more inclined to Adonis Blue for the first two but ready to be shot down by those more knowledgeable than me.

The reason I leaned Chalkhill was the binary spots which are just visible in the forewing, shown as a characteristic of Chalkhill but not Adonis.

On closer inspection, the deep blue of the upperwing is just visible and is better match for Adonis.

SDV Monday 13th January 2020 17:18

So is the consensus now that it is an Adonis rather than a Chalkhill?

ApusApus Thursday 16th January 2020 17:16

Seems to fit Adonis better IMO!

Shane

RafaelMatias Thursday 16th January 2020 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApusApus (Post 3948104)
Seems to fit Adonis better IMO!

Shane

Looks good for Adonis imo as well.