BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Hummingbirds (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=434)
-   -   Can I Feed Organic Sugar to Hummingbirds? (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=385481)

SteveCooke Monday 13th January 2020 21:46

Can I Feed Organic Sugar to Hummingbirds?

Hi all, I have been researching sugar all day and I came across this article by Joybilee Farm, which posits that the anti-orgianic-sugar sentiment is based on a myth. It says that both organic white sugar and organic raw sugar are in fact good to use as they contain little iron and contain no pesticide residue.

Was curious what others consensus was on this article? Would you use organic white sugar or organic raw sugar?

Thank you, Steve

jmepler Tuesday 14th January 2020 02:01

I can't see why organic white sugar should be a problem. It is just white sugar produced from organic stock.

I would avoid raw sugar, organic or otherwise, due to the iron content. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

SteveCooke Tuesday 14th January 2020 19:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmepler (Post 3947102)
I can't see why organic white sugar should be a problem. It is just white sugar produced from organic stock.

I would avoid raw sugar, organic or otherwise, due to the iron content. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Thanks for your input! She makes the point though, that the zoo who did the study responsible for the iron scare was successful in caring for birds for a number of decades with a food that contained 40mg/1kg of iron. It was a change of the recipe that resulted in 800mg/1kg of iron that led to the poisoning.

She says the iron content of raw sugar is in fact very low and very safe (containing 3.7mg/1kg of iron, just 10% of the zoo's successful supplement). It seems to me organic raw sugar would be better for the birds and the environment.

Am I wrong here? Thanks o:)

jmepler Tuesday 14th January 2020 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCooke (Post 3947422)
Thanks for your input! She makes the point though, that the zoo who did the study responsible for the iron scare was successful in caring for birds for a number of decades with a food that contained 40mg/1kg of iron. It was a change of the recipe that resulted in 800mg/1kg of iron that led to the poisoning.

She says the iron content of raw sugar is in fact very low and very safe (containing 3.7mg/1kg of iron, just 10% of the zoo's successful supplement). It seems to me organic raw sugar would be better for the birds and the environment.

Raw sugar will be no better for the birds, but could potentially be worse.

All the experts recommend white sugar, preferable cane sugar. I would take their advice over the advice of one person.

If you are still against using white cane sugar, and want to provide an environmentally friendly meal for the hummingbirds, I would suggest planting a flower garden.

SteveCooke Tuesday 14th January 2020 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmepler (Post 3947467)
Raw sugar will be no better for the birds, but could potentially be worse.

All the experts recommend white sugar, preferable cane sugar. I would take their advice over the advice of one person.

If you are still against using white cane sugar, and want to provide an environmentally friendly meal for the hummingbirds, I would suggest planting a flower garden.

Which experts? What's the argument against raw sugar, and where is the data to support it?

jean_wright Thursday 16th January 2020 03:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveCooke (Post 3947422)

Sorry for interrupting as it's not an actual proof, still:

Quote:

Unrefined sugar from sugar cane has iron, mineral salts and other minerals that are not present in white granulated sugar (only sucrose) nor in natural flower nectar.

While a better choice for humans, the added minerals in unrefined sugar may have an adverse affect on hummingbirds.

Brown sugar has molasses added to it which also contains iron and other minerals. Plain, white granulated sugar is best for making your hummingbird solution.
- source

So it's not only iron that could do the harm.
Also here you can read some arguments from Lanny Chambers, who is hummingbird expert.
Hope this helps.

kbirdly Sunday 19th January 2020 23:35

Hmm, I used organic raw sugar for awhile, but have switched back to white cane sugar. it's scary that we could be hurting our Hummers.

Jefferson Shank Wednesday 29th January 2020 02:53

I have been feeding organic sugar for ages and the hummers love it! After all, it is more natural.

Chosun Juan Wednesday 29th January 2020 06:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmepler (Post 3947467)
..... to provide an environmentally friendly meal for the hummingbirds, I would suggest planting a flower garden.

That sounds like a highly satisfying solution :)

Chosun :gh: