• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring database (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

Sometimes I manage to get very close to the birds when I´m out taking bird pictures. And sometimes so close I can see the numbers on their rings.

Is there any database/ web page where I enter the number and see where it was ringed and other information?

I know about and I have tried some national web pages but it don´t help me as I don´t know where the bird was ringed. And none of my ring number searches have given any results.

Anyone else here interested in ring information and know a world wide data base? Or any other means of finding information from a ring number.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Flickr
Instagram
xeno-canto

Last edited:
There's a website covering Europe:
http://www.cr-birding.org/
They include some links that could be helpful but I'm not aware of a global data base, which is a shame.

Thank you Andrew

I have used this site before. Yes, imagine just one "ONE STOP ONLY" web page to get all the information about the bird you have seen

I will try your suggested site again, maybe the birds was ringed outside Europe

Thank you again!
Aladdin

Ad221

There's a website covering Europe:
http://www.cr-birding.org/
They include some links that could be helpful but I'm not aware of a global data base, which is a shame.

I took this picture in Germany. I can see the number AD221 But I cannot find any references on the web page http://www.cr-birding.org/

So now I´m thinking that it is the small metal ring that is the ring. This is how I remembered from being a child out with my Uncle to ring birds

If this is the case, what is the white thing with the number AD221 on the bird in the attached picture?

Kind regards
Aladdin

Attachments

• AD221.jpg
    AD221.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 84
You need to go to the link below and enter the details of the black lettering on the white darvic ring.

https://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp

Thank you very much

I have entered all the info in a form and now we will see if I get any answer.

I will put the data answere here when/ if they can get me any info

And WOW! There is a lot of diffeent rings and I will look for information while waiting for their answer. But now I know that the name of this type of ring is DARVIC RING, cheers!

Kind regards
Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,

I have entered all the info in a form and now we will see if I get any answer.

I believe this link might take you to the correct project:

http://www.cr-birding.org/colourpro...d_2=&tid=All&tid_1=2744&tid_4=2742&tid_5=2770

Personally, I've seen gulls ringed as part of this project hang around in groups in Hamburg, spending the winter here before departing elsewhere.

Only one of those I reported was ever spotted elsewhere: It was reported on the Polish Baltic Coast, once, in the summer. Not sure if it bred there or if it only passed through!

Regards,

Henning

Hi Aladdin,

I believe this link might take you to the correct project:

http://www.cr-birding.org/colourpro...d_2=&tid=All&tid_1=2744&tid_4=2742&tid_5=2770

Personally, I've seen gulls ringed as part of this project hang around in groups in Hamburg, spending the winter here before departing elsewhere.

Only one of those I reported was ever spotted elsewhere: It was reported on the Polish Baltic Coast, once, in the summer. Not sure if it bred there or if it only passed through!

Regards,

Henning

Thank you

Same link as Andrew submited. But now I think I understand how it is working. The link philip1947 took me to a web page where I had to send the report via e-mail.

And when I used the link Andrew submited I was stupid to think that I could enter the code and get the information on line. But now I think I finally understand how it works (I'm getting old)

So on this page you submitted, same info as I got when I entered the number. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to send my information to the e-mail address coming up?

Thank you all! Very helpfull and I will post the info here as soon as I get it.

And this can put a whole new dimension to my birding, my mind is boggling, imagine if I can get a lot of data, where th ebird was born and where the bird have been seen. I'm at least to say excited and I will keep my eyes out for ring numbers.

I have also seen numbers on wings in Australia

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,

Same link as Andrew submited.

Technically, Andrew's link goes to the home page and my link goes to the precise project you're interested in.

(Just mentioning that in case that somehow, my link doesn't work as intended.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I need to send my information to the e-mail address coming up?

Yes, you're right. At least, that's what I always did a couple of years ago! :)

While email still seems to be the normal way of communication, there are some specialized sites that do have a "live" database where you can see the results immediately, like this one:

http://www.geese.org/Ganzen/index.jsp

By the way, I'm curious now ... did you spot your gull in Hamburg, too?

Regards,

Henning

Hi Aladdin,

Technically, Andrew's link goes to the home page and my link goes to the precise project you're interested in.

(Just mentioning that in case that somehow, my link doesn't work as intended.)

Yes, you're right. At least, that's what I always did a couple of years ago! :)

While email still seems to be the normal way of communication, there are some specialized sites that do have a "live" database where you can see the results immediately, like this one:

http://www.geese.org/Ganzen/index.jsp

By the way, I'm curious now ... did you spot your gull in Hamburg, too?

Regards,

Henning

Thank you!

Andrews link took me to the same page, but as you say, it was the HOME and from there I clicked to the same page as your link. And I filled up the form and to TAG number and as I did not understand that I had to send the information via e-mail. I had expected the info to come on line

Anyway, I will submit the data to this e-mail as well and I will see what happens.

I was on a bicycle holiday along the Kiel Canal in August and I spotted the bird in Rendsburg. Not far away from Hamburg

Thanks for the link to the Swan and Goose ringing. Late to reply as I spent some time looking for any gooses and Swans with a ring among my pictures. But no visible numbers.

For sure, now I will start to look for rings on the birds as I have got interested. Thank you for your help. I got confirmation e-mail about my observation so now I hope I can get the info and I will post it here first thing

Kind regards
Aladdin

I got answer from

I got answer about my Black-headed Gull with the Darvic Ring (Thanks to philip1947 I learned what they call the thing)

First answer was from http://www.cr-birding.org/ and clicking to https://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp

See attached pdf file or the text below. ONLY SET BACK, in German language, but I think I understand and this was very interesting and I will for sure keep my eyes out for more rings

Aladdin

Möwenprogramm SH und Hamburg
Ich danke Ihnen herzlichst für die Mitteilung eines Fundes / von Funden eines von mir beringten Vogels. Die Angaben
über die Beringung und die bisher erfolgten Sichtungen finden Sie nachfolgend. Sollten Sie Fehler darin finden, teilen
Sie es mir bitte mit. Wichtig: um alle Funde zu sehen, muss man Scrollen !
Über weitere Meldungen würde ich mich freuen:
Carl Gördelerweg 16
25524 Itzehoe
Sönke Martens
[email protected]
Copyright: Diese Beringungs- und Wiederfunddaten sind ausschließlich als
persönliche Information für den Beobachter bestimmt, so dass ich bei geplanter
Verwendung in einer Publikation um eine Abstimmung mit mir bitte. This list is
for personal use only. When You want to publish data from this list, contact
before publishing our group.
##################################################################################################################
Ring-Nr. : 5430207
Lachmöwe
16.01.2016 Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre
älter als vorjährig
Farbring: AD221
Beringungsdaten:
Gruppengröße :
Chroic. Ridibundus
Helgoland
54 17 ' N 9 42
o
' E o
bisherige Wiederfunde
Datum Beobachtungsort Koordinaten (in Grad u. Min.) Finder
22.02.2018 Rendsburg / Kreishafen 54 18 N 9 40 E Farbring abgelesen Lustig, J.
05.08.2018 Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre 54 17 N 9 42 E Farbring abgelesen Aladdin

Attachments

• Lebensläufe.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 38
Hi Aladdin,

That was a quick reply! :)

So this seems to be a local Rendsburg bird ... quite interesting, I thought it might be one of the Hamburgian gulls on its way back.

"My" Hamburgian gulls also "disappeared" by the end of March, and re-appeared in late October, so a sighting in August points to a different lifestyle on part of your gull! :)

Here's a translation of the German text:

"Gull Program Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg

Cordial thanks for the reporting of a find/of finds of a bird ringed by me. The data on the ringing and the sightings so far follow below. Should you notice any errors in these, please tell me about them. Important: To see all finds, you have to scroll down! I'd be thankful for further reports.

Black-headed gull Chroic. Ridibundus 0
Ring no.: Heldoland 5430207 Colour ring: AD221
Ringing data: 16.01.2016, older than previous year, Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre 54° 17' N 9° 42' E

Finds so far:

22.02.2018 Rendsburg / Kreishafen 54 18 N 9 40 E Colour ring reading Lustig, J.
05.08.2018 Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre 54 17 N 9 42 E Colour ring reading Aladdin[/QUOTE]

Regards,

Henning

Hi Aladdin,

That was a quick reply! :)

So this seems to be a local Rendsburg bird ... quite interesting, I thought it might be one of the Hamburgian gulls on its way back.

"My" Hamburgian gulls also "disappeared" by the end of March, and re-appeared in late October, so a sighting in August points to a different lifestyle on part of your gull! :)

Here's a translation of the German text:

"Gull Program Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg

Cordial thanks for the reporting of a find/of finds of a bird ringed by me. The data on the ringing and the sightings so far follow below. Should you notice any errors in these, please tell me about them. Important: To see all finds, you have to scroll down! I'd be thankful for further reports.

Black-headed gull Chroic. Ridibundus 0
Ring no.: Heldoland 5430207 Colour ring: AD221
Ringing data: 16.01.2016, older than previous year, Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre 54° 17' N 9° 42' E

Finds so far:

22.02.2018 Rendsburg / Kreishafen 54 18 N 9 40 E Colour ring reading Lustig, J.
05.08.2018 Rendsburg / Schacht Audorf Fähre 54 17 N 9 42 E Colour ring reading Aladdin

Regards,

Henning[/QUOTE]

Hello Henning

Thank you very much!!!! Really appreciated!!!

I have studied the German language hundreds of years ago, but I have forgoten it. The älter als vorjährig or as you so kindly have translated to "older than previous year" Is this a birding/ ringing term? I don't understand what they mean with this

And one interesting thing, the other link https://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp that philip1947 was kind to share with us. This leads to an e-mail address in Denmark. And the German address asked me to send my findings to him instead of the Danish guy.

The Danish guy was some kind of coordinator, so he knew that I had sent to him as well, so I guess it is the same organisation.

And Henning, if you don't mind me asking, are you a "ringer" ?

On the report it says ring # HELGOLAND and a number but the bird was ringed in Rendsburg the first time. Do you know what the HELGOLAND means?

Aned by the way, I have already submitted a new ring AD358

Kind regards
Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,

Thank you very much!!!! Really appreciated!!!

Glad I could help, and thanks a lot for sharing your sighting! :)

The älter als vorjährig or as you so kindly have translated to "older than previous year" Is this a birding/ ringing term? I don't understand what they mean with this

"Vorjährig" is not a birding-only term, but it's often used in birding. Often, it's even "first calendar year", "second calendar year" etc. - I think it's similar in English. So, if you catch a gull for ringing that still shows some immature markings, but is clearly older than the second calendar year, I think "older than (from the) previous year" is probably the best age estimate you can come up with.

At least, that's what I suspect - I'm not actually a ringer myself, though I'm quite fascinated by the subject! :)

On the report it says ring # HELGOLAND and a number but the bird was ringed in Rendsburg the first time. Do you know what the HELGOLAND means?

The Vogelwarte Helgoland is the ornithological institution that issues the metal rings and administers the numbers. In Germany, there are three such institutions, Helgoland (Northern Germany), Hiddensee (Eastern Germany) and Radolfzell (Southern Germany). The name is on the ring so that you where to go to to track the number.

If you ever visit Helgoland, which is quite interesting ornithologically, make sure to take a guided tour of the "Fanggarten"where the birds are caught for ringing!

Regards,

Henning

Hi Aladdin,

"Vorjährig" is not a birding-only term, but it's often used in birding. Often, it's even "first calendar year", "second calendar year" etc. - I think it's similar in English. So, if you catch a gull for ringing that still shows some immature markings, but is clearly older than the second calendar year, I think "older than (from the) previous year" is probably the best age estimate you can come up with.

At least, that's what I suspect - I'm not actually a ringer myself, though I'm quite fascinated by the subject! :)

The Vogelwarte Helgoland is the ornithological institution that issues the metal rings and administers the numbers. In Germany, there are three such institutions, Helgoland (Northern Germany), Hiddensee (Eastern Germany) and Radolfzell (Southern Germany). The name is on the ring so that you where to go to to track the number.

If you ever visit Helgoland, which is quite interesting ornithologically, make sure to take a guided tour of the "Fanggarten"where the birds are caught for ringing!

Regards,

Henning

Thank you again Henning!

WOW! Some very usefull information you are providing!!! Helgoland ring number, very nice information

The guy at the German e-maila ddress seems to be very nice and I will ask him about the Vorjährig and I will let you know if he provides me with info. But if I understand it the bird should then be born spring 2015

I spend 6 weeks in Europe last summer. In ther forest in Finland looking for brown bear, wolverines and wolfs. I was very lucky but I never spotted any wolf. I saw mose and beavers in Sweden.

One week biking along the Kiel Canal and I took a tour via the "Stork Village" and Eider Sperrwerk. I can recommend the "Stork Village" as it is close to Hamburg.

They had tours to Helgoland but I didn't had the time, and August is maybe not the right time. But regarding birds, I was disappointed with Europe. I wa sone week in Liverpool with RSBP and had a fantastic time seeing many birds. But then it was mid Aug and it was chilli.

If you remember the sumer it was VERY hot and I think this was the reason for me to see almost no birds in Sweden, Finland and Germany. Like in Thailand, I have to go out very early and at 10 it is too hot for the birds.

I will keep you updated about the AD358, maybe your bird from Hamburg:)

Thank you for all the information
Aladdin

Ad358

Hello

New answer about AD358, see attached pdf

And they seems to be very friendly and appreciate the reports. Answer in a few hours.

Hi,

see lifelist of this bird, too. This place at Rendsburg is very exciting as we have not ring-reader there (they are all at Hamburg/ Kiel / Travemünde….)

I took the opportunity to ask a few questions about some of the terms and I hope to get answers soon

And Henning, looks like this is not the bird from Hamburg :)

Aladdin

Attachments

• ring-ad358-aug18 (1).pdf
    77.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi Aladdin,

Regards,

Henning

Hello again Henning

I got answer and Älter als vorjährig means at Nov 2018 that this gull is at least born 2016 (or even earlier).

When I think about it it makes sense. They can see if it is a juvenile, but not if the bird is 2 or 3 years old so it is older than juvenile and at least have 2 winters under it wings

Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,

When I think about it it makes sense. They can see if it is a juvenile, but not if the bird is 2 or 3 years old so it is older than juvenile and at least have 2 winters under it wings

I agree, that's the most accurate way to state the bird's age based on its appearance when first caught.

Thanks for the additional sighting of AD358 ... seems it's a buddy of AD221, at least in terms of being a summer resident in Germany, unlike "my" Hamburgian gulls :)

Note that the age of AD358 is stated as "nach 3. Kalenderja
", or "older than 3rd calendar year".

"Älter als vorjährig" could have been stated in the same manner as "older than 2nd calendar year".

I believe English-speaking birders of abbreviate this to something like 2CY or something ... confused me quite a bit when I saw this the first time, but obviously saves a lot of typing :)

The Storchendorf is great - I've visited it some 20 years ago, on a cycling tour across Schleswig-Holstein too! :) Nests with young on almost every roof, even two on some houses, neat little signs in front of the houses recording the breeding success of the recent years, and a lot of avian air traffic of course! Splendid weather, too B-)

Regards,

Henning

Hi Aladdin,

I agree, that's the most accurate way to state the bird's age based on its appearance when first caught.

Thanks for the additional sighting of AD358 ... seems it's a buddy of AD221, at least in terms of being a summer resident in Germany, unlike "my" Hamburgian gulls :)

Note that the age of AD358 is stated as "nach 3. Kalenderja
", or "older than 3rd calendar year".

"Älter als vorjährig" could have been stated in the same manner as "older than 2nd calendar year".

I believe English-speaking birders of abbreviate this to something like 2CY or something ... confused me quite a bit when I saw this the first time, but obviously saves a lot of typing :)

The Storchendorf is great - I've visited it some 20 years ago, on a cycling tour across Schleswig-Holstein too! :) Nests with young on almost every roof, even two on some houses, neat little signs in front of the houses recording the breeding success of the recent years, and a lot of avian air traffic of course! Splendid weather, too B-)

Regards,

Henning

Thank you very much again Henning, great help!!!

This was fun and I´m looking among all my pictures to see if I can discover any rings. I will try some other countries as well, I have some Ibis from Australia.

Going for a month to Europe, back to RSBP in Liverpool in May and I will for sure keep my eyes out for the rings

By the way, the AD358 report looks like the attached pdf with your help to translate, really appreciated!!!!

Thanks for all the help
Kind regards
Aladdin

Attachments

• ring-ad358-aug18.pdf
    286.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thank you very much again Henning, great help!!!

This was fun and I´m looking among all my pictures to see if I can discover any rings. I will try some other countries as well, I have some Ibis from Australia.

Going for a month to Europe, back to RSBP in Liverpool in May and I will for sure keep my eyes out for the rings

By the way, the AD358 report looks like the attached pdf with your help to translate, really appreciated!!!!

Thanks for all the help
Kind regards
Aladdin

Hi Aladdin, just been reading your thread and was happy to hear you got some response back for your ring sighting, You say your going to RSPB Liverpool this year in May? please may I ask why Liverpool.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back