• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise Needed - Scandinavian Birdwatching (1 Viewer)

sittaneu

Hello,
I'm going on a two weeks trip to Denmark and Norway. I know it's a really short time but I hope to see some interesting birds..!
So it goes like this -
2-6 Denmark
7-11 Norway
12-16 Denmark again.

I'm gonna be at Copenhagen (DE) and Tromso (NOR). My questions are:

*what kind of birds am i about to see at this time of year? I'm from Israel and I'm used to see in Sep' all the migrating birds coming from Europe!!

*where are the best places for bird watching according to the areas i'm gonna be in (can't go too far, short time as I've mentioned)?

*By foot or car? In Denmark I won't have car, but in tromso I'm gonna rent..

*I would love to go to ringing stations. Here in Israel I have a ringing license. Is it possible to ring abroad? Who can I contact to know more?

thanks a lot!

Michaela

Last edited:
Michaela, Welcome to Birdforum!

Take a look at these links: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Denmark
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=279072
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Falsterbo

The last link is about a location in Sweden, but getting there would constitute a 1 hour train ride (Copenhagen-Malmø) and another hour in a bus. There is a bird watching/ringing station in Falsterbo with some dorm type beds (I never actually stayed there, I had a tent). B&B type accommodation is also available there. Falsterbo is the SW corner of Sweden, and on a good day is a migration hotspot par excellence.

There is as far as I know also some ringing on Amager (SE outskirts of Copenhagen). The nature area there is great for wetland birds.

If you stay around Copenhagen, there are lots of forest areas, several of which can be reached by public transportation. If there is a day with strong north-westerly winds, get yourself to Gilleleje for some sea watch (to some extent also possible by Kronborg, Helsingør (that is also known as Hamlet's castle from the Shakespeare stories).

Niels

We went to Tromso on a cruise.
There was nothing of note on land but the sail out through the Kvalsundet channel was excellent.
It was a narrow channel, north of Tromso, opening up to the sea with lots of small islands as I recall.
If you can get to the area mentioned by boat or otherwise it may be worth the effort.
There is a road to the island of Ringvassøya and islands further north.If the bird life we saw in the channel was anything to go by I would definitely recommend a trip by car to these islands.[The Norway Michelen map is worth buying]
We didn't spend a lot of time birdwatching on land as we were only there for a day.
There are plenty of green areas around and hopefully in September some migrants passing through.

The area between Tromso and the sea were full of birds as we sailed towards the Kvalsundet Channel a Long-tailed Skua was seen. There were Lots of Puffins, Guillemots, Little Auks, Cormorants, Arctic Terns, Greater Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Kittiwakes, Grey Herons, Oystercatchers, and Eider.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back