• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of fun - Essex pub twitching (1 Viewer)

andygolfer

andygolfer
There are various games based on the names of pubs and in a casual moment I thought of Essex pub twitching so...

How many pubs named after or partly named after birds can we find in Essex?

To start it off with ones localish to me in Braintree there is the Swan (also in Rayne & Bradwell and witham) and the Eagle,
Halstead - three pigeons,
East Mersea dog and Pheasant,
Great leighs - the dog and Partridge
and further from me the Hawk at battlesbridge

so that's 6 different birds as a starter (and 9 including repeats), anyone care to add some more?

Around Chelmsford:

The Fox and Raven (Chelmer Village)
The Curlew (S. Woodham)
The Eagle (Galleywood) - and The Eagle and Hind on Gloucester Ave. Chelmsford
Fox and Goose (Ongar Road)

and The Bird In Hand (New Writtle Street), though not a 'species' and not referring to a wild bird

Last edited:
There's a Swan in Little Totham as well - think it's still open!

Not in Essex but I like the name - the Parrot and Punchbowl near Thorpeness

swans seem very popular!

so that's 15 different types so far if we separate white and black swans! must be some more out there though........

The Fat Goose in Tendring
The Flamingo in Holland-on-Sea
The Essex Seagull in St Osyth
Dirty Penguin in Colchester
The Pheasant in Gestingthorpe
The Three Pigeons in Halstead
The Hummingbird in Harlow

I had a slight problem last Monday night! Having been in CAMRA and researched Essex breweries, I know my way round a few pubs in Essex ;-)

Add The Falcon in Southend to the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back