• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica repair (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Does anybody know of firm in the UK that could replace the thread socket on my Leica 77 APO. The tripod mounting screw will now not tighten at all, just keeps turning. I'm not keen on sending it to Leica because of the cost and the time they take over repairs. Also has any body that’s experienced the 20x60 zoom turning in its mount when zooming come up with a method of fixing this annoying problem. Thanks in anticipation.

Take it to a local engineering shop and ask them to helicoil it. Replaces the damaged thread with an inserted one of the same diameter. I did it myself for a mate but no longer have the kit to do it.

The thread on the scope is a standard Whitworth 1/4" 20tpi (threads per inch).

Any competent repairer should be able to drill and tap this and turn it into a 3/8" 16tpi thread.

Then you simply need to add a steel insert (available from most photo/optical dealers) to convert the 3/8" back to a 1/4" thread. This will give a much stronger link between scope and tripod.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIPOD-BUSH-THREAD-ADAPTOR/dp/B00131LE1O

Does anybody know of firm in the UK that could replace the thread socket on my Leica 77 APO. The tripod mounting screw will now not tighten at all, just keeps turning. I'm not keen on sending it to Leica because of the cost and the time they take over repairs. Also has any body that’s experienced the 20x60 zoom turning in its mount when zooming come up with a method of fixing this annoying problem. Thanks in anticipation.

To stop the eye piece coming out when zooming. Remove eye piece and slip a rubber 'o' ring around the fixing claw, select a 'O' that give a slight compression on the mating face of the telescope. Worked great.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back