• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carvings (1 Viewer)

Just thought I would throw a few pics of one of my carvings up. Name is "Nature's Order" and as can be seen depicts a mature Red-Tail Hawk and Bullsnake. 70" tall. 500 hours to complete. Made from tupelo gum and basswood.

Attachments

• Left side with brown bkgrnd darker smaller.jpg
    Left side with brown bkgrnd darker smaller.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
That's really nice Marc. You must be a fan of Floyd Scholtz, me too!

I'd love to see some of this type of carving over here but it seems more of a US thing. Carvers here tend to go for a more stylised feel without painting. I suppose the American tradition stems from decoy carving whereas the UK tradition is based more on sculpture. Simon Gudgeon is a perfect exponent of the kind of UK style I'm referring to.

More photos of your work please, I love it!

Woody

I've currently looking into having a go at carving, wildlife, human form etc. but have no idea what type of chisels I'd need.

what did you use for your sculpture???

Thanks for all the kind words!

Paul, I use a variety of tools, some hand made to do exactly what I need them to do. Some power driven. Some hand driven. Basic roughing out of the piece is done with a tool called a Foredom. Has a long flexible shaft and drives a variety of different cutting heads/burrs. This gets the piece down to close and after that I use a Dremel or small hand chisels and a variety of small rasps. Then lots of time sanding it down so all scratches are gone. Then I use smaller grinding tools to put detail into each feather and then I use a small woodburner with replaceable tips that basically have a knife edge for really fine detail. Wood is then sealed and then painted. Nothin' to it!

Last edited:
Anybody interesting in carvings might like to know the following...

National Wildlife Carving Exhibition
Friday 25th March - Sunday 3rd April 2005
Pensthorpe Waterfowl Park
Fakenham, Norfolk. NR21 0LN.
Tel: 01328 851 465

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back