• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (3 Viewers)

I hope it can carry on the one aspect that the 200-500mm beats both Sigma's 150-500mm and 50-500mms - image quality at the telephoto end.

MTF charts and sample images now available HERE. If the charts (and sample images) are to be believed then it looks fairly decent at the long end. Weight (1.9KG) is not too bad and the price looks to be coming in around £1500 (ish). If this lens can outperform the cheap Sigma zooms (50-500, 150-500 .....) then it could be interesting.
One assumes with the charts and sample images up that it will not be to long before it is available!!

582mm according to lens patent.
Like all zoom lenses this will be only when shooting at infinity - at normal bird distances I suspect it would be much less - the closer you are then the shorter the max focal length will actually be. Even Canon's and Nikons suffer from this but third party lenses are usually a lot worst.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Canon 100 - 400 as well. I had a 200 - 500, and was very impressed with it. However, as I much prefer not using a tripod, I changed to the Canon due to its IS. I do find the 400mm max focal length something of a pain though.

Interesting...will have to follow and see where the price settles at...the 200-500 is just shy of $1000 US dollars so where will the 600 be?

Would love to see image quality too..... I know I can crop my 400mm Canon and it will beat out the 500mm's now around.

Looks interesting....

Any further idea of latest pricing? (will it undercut the new Sigma 50-500 OS sports?)

And which body to pair it with ?
Nikon D7100??
Canon 7D (near future new)MkII ???
Nikon 1 (future new)V3 - hopefully with phase detect, and continuous tracking AF allowed through the 35mm lens adapter! ????

Chosun :gh:

Been thinking about this the last few days.... When they are available I will order one to field test against my 400 5.6.

My initial thoughts as I guess about quality is that the 600 will be akin to a 58mm and will at best equal the shots taken by my 400 with a 1.4tc (560mm). Both wld be at 6.3 so no AF. If that is the case.... Then not worth getting. Again be speculation on quality...

From what I have read on other forums the lens will 'trick' the camera into thinking it's 5.6 and that's how it will autofocus. Nobody would buy it if it didn't autofocus at the the limit of its range.

Both wld be at 6.3 so no AF. If that is the case.... Then not worth getting. Again be speculation on quality...
The f6.3 tammy will AF on all Canon Bodies - it is the same as all the cheap(ish) sigma Zooms (150-500. 50-500, 120-400...) the Lens tricks the Camera into thinking it is f5.6 so will AF no problem. Steve is right, if it did not AF then nobody would buy it!.

Last edited:
I am just hoping that the Tamron will not be too cheap! - anything under £2k(ish) and it will be too cheap to produce quality images. If it comes in around £1k then it will just another C##p lens like the cheap Sigma's. If they could make a quality 600mm lens for around £2.5k then they will be on a winner (but I have my doubts :-C).
Having said that I have seen the MTF charts and some full size sample images and it could be promising - time will tell.

I'm with Roy here. Unless it is priced over $2000 street price (minimum) I have a feeling this will be just another cheapish third party telezoom.

It may not be of course, the latest Tamron 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 lenses are supposed to be pretty good.

Having said all that even if it is not so great IQ wise at the long end and wide open, it may still be pretty good at, say, 450mm stepped down to f8.

Just as an update the Canon mount lens is lunching in Japan today - there is a special web page for the lens HERE.
Price in Japan is = to $1350 US which seems far too cheap for a decent 600mm.

Price in Japan is = to $1350 US which seems far too cheap for a decent 600mm.

Agree.
But in my dreams I'm still hoping to be otherwise. A revolution in terms of price/quality on these long focal ranges. A punch on the stomach to Canon/Nikon for keeping prices so high. I have no doubts it is expensive to make a 600mm but maybe a big chunk of the price is related to the brand only. Maybe?...

Lets hope tamron makes it right :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back