• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

winged eyecups for 10x42 Ultravid (1 Viewer)

Hotglove

Hi all, first a thank you to those who have given very useful advice that helped guide me to buying a pair of used Ultravids.
I bid for a pair on eBay and watched as the price went crazy, then, a couple of days later made an offer for a pair from Wex Photographic, which was accepted and was more than £200 cheaper than the eBay pair. Wex described them as v good condition and I am a very picky old sod, but I would describe them as mint, the only sign of wear is on the cardboard box and even that is minimal. Ordered at 6pm delivered (foc) at 2pm the next day.
I had a bit of fun comparing them to my trusted old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 and was reminded how well the flip down winged eyecups on the Swifts worked.
I have looked for replacement or add on winged cups for the Leica but am not sure if there is a particularly good eyecup/raincover combination that suits the (non HD) Ultravids.
All comments v welcome

I am not sure if this is what you are after but do a search for Bino Bandit. I purchased mine from eB** and I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks very much for the reply, I have ordered a pair of winged eyecups marketed by Leica which come with a rain guard to replace the original. Looking forward to checking them out.

Eyecups sorted

I have obtained a set of eyecups from South West Optics, very helpful, they tried them for size for me, and delivered very promptly.
Leica make two types, one for Noctivid, one for Geovid.
The Noctivid variety includes a replacement rainguard which is shallower than the standard item and much softer and more pliable.
The wings flip down if not required, but trying them with, “one up, one down” I was very pleased with the more immersive experience with them up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back