• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape May in November (1 Viewer)

KEVIN BROWN

Casual Birder
Doing a short road trip with my non birder wife, though she is quite tolerant of my obsession with wildlife in general. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and a couple of nights at Cape May, so I am hoping someone can recommend a place to stay and if there are any other places of interest we may pass, be them good for wildlife, or of general interest. An idea of what might be seen around Cape May would be good, though appreciate it is not the best time to visit, but our dates are fixed.

Doing a short road trip with my non birder wife, though she is quite tolerant of my obsession with wildlife in general. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Atlantic City and a couple of nights at Cape May, so I am hoping someone can recommend a place to stay and if there are any other places of interest we may pass, be them good for wildlife, or of general interest. An idea of what might be seen around Cape May would be good, though appreciate it is not the best time to visit, but our dates are fixed.

I'm out of touch with the best places to stay in Cape May, having not lived there for sixteen years, but don't let anyone tell you that November isn't the best time to visit. It can be spectacular. Any cold fronts in late October through to about the second week of November can deliver massive falls of Robins, Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, along with hundreds of Hawks, Gulls, Goldfinches and dozens of Hermit Thrushes, Bluebirds, Meadowlarks, Woodcock and so on. It is also a month local birders find more western and south-western rarities than any other time of year. I've seen Brown-chested Martin and MacGillivray's Warbler on the same day there as well as Western Tanager, Western Kingbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher, loads of Cave Swallows on separate occasions... oh, and Owls: it's good for Saw-whets at that time too, although you'll need to enlist the help of the Bird Observatory to assist you finding them.

Please note, the above is a distillation of about five Novembers spent there. You definitely won't see all the birds I mentioned, but keep your fingers crossed for - I'll emphasize it again - cold fronts, and if it happens, you're laughing.

Good luck

I can't comment on places to stay either, but I can recommend adding Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge to your itinerary - the wildlife drive should be excellent for waterfowl in November, in addition to some other saltmarsh birds.

I can't comment on places to stay either, but I can recommend adding Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge to your itinerary - the wildlife drive should be excellent for waterfowl in November, in addition to some other saltmarsh birds.

May well give this a try, thank you.

I'm out of touch with the best places to stay in Cape May, having not lived there for sixteen years, but don't let anyone tell you that November isn't the best time to visit. It can be spectacular. Any cold fronts in late October through to about the second week of November can deliver massive falls of Robins, Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, along with hundreds of Hawks, Gulls, Goldfinches and dozens of Hermit Thrushes, Bluebirds, Meadowlarks, Woodcock and so on. It is also a month local birders find more western and south-western rarities than any other time of year. I've seen Brown-chested Martin and MacGillivray's Warbler on the same day there as well as Western Tanager, Western Kingbird, Ash-throated Flycatcher, loads of Cave Swallows on separate occasions... oh, and Owls: it's good for Saw-whets at that time too, although you'll need to enlist the help of the Bird Observatory to assist you finding them.

Please note, the above is a distillation of about five Novembers spent there. You definitely won't see all the birds I mentioned, but keep your fingers crossed for - I'll emphasize it again - cold fronts, and if it happens, you're laughing.

Good luck

That’s good to know, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back