BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Nestboxes (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=452)
-   -   The Great Tits have returned (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=360045)

Euan Buchan Monday 16th April 2018 07:55

The Great Tits have returned
 
Well I'm excited The Great Tits have returned to the camera Nestbox and are busy building their nest.

Mary Monday 16th April 2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euan Buchan (Post 3705769)
Well I'm excited The Great Tits have returned to the camera Nestbox and are busy building their nest.

Great news, Euan, keep us updated on their progress, please! Hope they are successful.

Euan Buchan Tuesday 17th April 2018 10:51

So far they have been bringing in lots of moss I didn't see them in the nestbox before I headed to work but look forward seeing their progress when I come home.

coaltit Tuesday 17th April 2018 11:19

Next door has been getting a pair of great tits they were first seen nesting there last year previous years blue tits had been useing the box so the diameter of the hole into the box must be a bit bigger than the normal sized hole, They have been both active again this april flying from my garden to their nesting box thou to see them carrying Any nesting material is not something I really see not like blue tits they seem a much discrete species when Doing so, I hope Euan you get good views of your nesting Great Tits look forward to hearing how they progress.

Euan Buchan Tuesday 17th April 2018 21:37

Second day The Great Tit is spending the night in the box.

Euan Buchan Wednesday 18th April 2018 11:32

This morning she has been bringing in pink fluff in.

Euan Buchan Tuesday 24th April 2018 07:58

My Great Tit has laid eggs but not sure how many she has kept them well hidden. My parents noticed a egg last night but unfortunately I didn't.

Euan Buchan Wednesday 25th April 2018 07:37

‪ I spotted a egg last night in my Great Tit Nestbox but not sure how many. This year she has kept them well hidden whereas last year they were more visible. This year she's been out a lot more and only comes back tea time that's why she's buried them under moss.‬

Euan Buchan Friday 27th April 2018 07:00

Spotted 4 eggs last night.

Euan Buchan Friday 27th April 2018 10:19

She has laid 6 eggs this year.

coaltit Wednesday 2nd May 2018 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euan Buchan (Post 3710662)
She has laid 6 eggs this year.

Hi Euan tits will often cover their eggs and leave them like you mentioned, exciteing times Indeed.

Euan Buchan Saturday 12th May 2018 11:03

Five of the chicks have hatched in the Nestbox just one more to hatch.

delia todd Saturday 12th May 2018 11:35

Ooooh!!! Good luck to them all.... and you Euan.

Thanks for the update.

Euan Buchan Monday 14th May 2018 10:25

I don't think the sixth egg is going to hatch now, otherwise it would have hatched by now, it's a shame but all five chicks are doing well.

Euan Buchan Monday 21st May 2018 13:27

Chicks are growing up so fast, the parents have had to make the nest bigger for the chicks to fit.

Euan Buchan Thursday 24th May 2018 12:05

Got a bit of sad news . Two of The Great Tit chicks have died so now have three stronger chicks in the nestbox.

SanAngelo Thursday 24th May 2018 15:55

How'd this play out...curious to know what became of the dead chicks?

My Bewick's Wrens have had a couple years with only 3 chicks. In years past, they've had 5 or more.

This year, when cleaning their box after the 1st brood, I found a bleached out breast plate below the box in the weeds. No organic matter attached to the plate and no other bird parts or feathers in the area.

The plate was too big for a wren chick but it had me thinking.....if they had more than 3 chicks, the others dying off before fledging, what did they do with the dead chicks?

I've cleaned out sparrow boxes as well as nests built in fascias and soffits finding dead chicks and unhatched eggs buried under layers of old nests....defiantly not standing on ceremony.

Can't help to wonder why the wrens only had 3 chicks these past couple years....other than a young 1st year female laying eggs, I have nothing?

Last year when the 2nd brood died off there were 5 chicks. The 1st brood, which made it to fledging, only had 3.

You had a camera in your 2017 box, I'm hoping this year is the same and you can provide insight on how your Great Tits disposed of the chicks?

Thank you so much.

Euan Buchan Thursday 24th May 2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanAngelo (Post 3722442)
How'd this play out...curious to know what became of the dead chicks?

My Bewick's Wrens have had a couple years with only 3 chicks. In years past, they've had 5 or more.

This year, when cleaning their box after the 1st brood, I found a bleached out breast plate below the box in the weeds. No organic matter attached to the plate and no other bird parts or feathers in the area.

The plate was too big for a wren chick but it had me thinking.....if they had more than 3 chicks, the others dying off before fledging, what did they do with the dead chicks?

I've cleaned out sparrow boxes as well as nests built in fascias and soffits finding dead chicks and unhatched eggs buried under layers of old nests....defiantly not standing on ceremony.

Can't help to wonder why the wrens only had 3 chicks these past couple years....other than a young 1st year female laying eggs, I have nothing?

Last year when the 2nd brood died off there were 5 chicks. The 1st brood, which made it to fledging, only had 3.

You had a camera in your 2017 box, I'm hoping this year is the same and you can provide insight on how your Great Tits disposed of the chicks?

Thank you so much.

I think they were crushed to death or sufficication. The parents haven't actually disposed of them. The other chick passed away so have two chicks now. It is the same box last year.

SanAngelo Thursday 24th May 2018 21:47

I don't think I would live through having a nest box camera, it would be too stressful.

Hope your last two chicks make it out of the box.

Thanks for the info.

Euan Buchan Sunday 27th May 2018 11:29

I'm sad to announce it's the end for The Great Tits in the nestbox. Found the last chick dead this morning it's a real shame as it was looking lively yesterday morning. I hope next year it will be more of a success for them.

Mary Sunday 27th May 2018 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euan Buchan (Post 3723683)
I'm sad to announce it's the end for The Great Tits in the nestbox. Found the last chick dead this morning it's a real shame as it was looking lively yesterday morning. I hope next year it will be more of a success for them.

Sorry to hear your Great Tits didn't make it this year, Euan. I think they've had a poor year everywhere. The caterpillars they need don't seem to have been available due to the mixed weather.

delia todd Sunday 27th May 2018 17:56

Oh that's sad Euan.

I am sorry you've lost them.

Euan Buchan Monday 28th May 2018 07:55

Thanks yes I think it's been lack of caterpillars and the heat of the weather.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:50.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018