• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew or Whimbrel, Ireland, Jan 2019 (1 Viewer)

Cormac

I can't decide whether this is a Curlew or Whimbrel.
Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN0577A.jpg
    DSCN0577A.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 107
I've got mixed up with these birds before and the guys on here have taught me that a Whimbrel tends to have a dark/darker stripe on the head. Yours lacks this.

Forget thinking about the shape of its bill as both birds bills can vary in length and curvature - but a Whimbrel's tends to be more straight then a curve near the tip, but you already know this.

Still haven't actually seen a Whimbrel though ;)

Still haven't actually seen a Whimbrel though ;)[/QUOTE]

You won't see one in Ireland in January either. They're sunning themselves in Africa ;)

True, I forgot about the 30, or so, lazy ones. Should have said 'unlikely'. ;)

;)

It's quite interesting - a small number of Redshank and Curlew also overwinter on similar rocky shorelines - different populations/subsp even, learned behaviour or what?

I guess a small number must also overwinter NW France/Spain etc in similar habitats ...

There's a thread on here about a Rock or Water Pipit down in Portugal......seems it could well be the form of Scandinavian Rock Pipit, a long way South.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back