BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Bird Name Etymology (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=714)
-   -   Etymology of scientific bird names (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224201)

James Jobling Saturday 3rd March 2012 10:10

Etymology of scientific bird names

Although a computer tyro only newly registered in BirdForum I have benefited from browsing the many threads in the Taxonomy & Nomenclature Forum (e.g. the recent introduction to new genera created by Balatskiy). As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

cuckooroller Saturday 3rd March 2012 10:33

Thanks, James! We now have an avenue to contact you. I searched for such a couple of weeks ago to ask you a question, unfortunately exactly which has now slipped my mind.

njlarsen Saturday 3rd March 2012 11:18

James, welcome to Birdforum!

Niels

Richard Klim Saturday 3rd March 2012 11:36

Welcome, James. As I hope is evident from many of my posts, I find your dictionary an exceptionally useful resource. Great to know that you're developing it even further.

fugl Saturday 3rd March 2012 15:31

Excellent news. I've owned your dictionary for years & will be first in line for the new edition when it comes out.

MJB Monday 5th March 2012 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Jobling (Post 2379152)
Although a computer tyro only newly registered in BirdForum I have benefited from browsing the many threads in the Taxonomy & Nomenclature Forum (e.g. the recent introduction to new genera created by Balatskiy). As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

Welecome, James! Any chance of the 3rd edition being ready for the British Bird Fair, say 2013?
MJB

John Cantelo Monday 5th March 2012 10:15

Can I just add my warm thanks to you, James, for writing such useful and fascinating books,

Calalp Wednesday 28th August 2013 13:23

Precautionary measure

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Jobling (Post 2379152)
... As author of A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (1991), and the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010, 2011 reprint with corrections), I would like to share the large data base that I have accumulated for a projected 3rd edition (A Key to Scientific Names in Ornithology) and be pleased to help enquirers. I also have some information on English substantive names, but those files are in an early stage of development and not as complete.

James, as I understood by another thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....highlight=2022
... your 3rd edition is way, way ahead ("2022"!)... but I would like to know how to order the "2011 reprint with corrections". I have the 2010 edition, but when Ive searched for the 2011 edition most suppliers only offer or show me the first one. Do you have a certain "key word", alternate publisher?, new ISBN? different cover? or someting else that could secure that Im ordering the 2nd edition?

As you might have seen Ive recently joined the etymological discussion here on Bird Forum. The reason for that is that Im compiling a book on the "Common Swedish Names" of birds, and naturaly some of these (more or less) coincide with their Scientic names. Thats why Im so eager to get my hand on your "updated" 2nd edition. So far the 2010 edition has been of invaluable help, but Ive found a few (like yourself in that edition) where there seem to be some question-marks, and I thought; "Why invent the wheel twice" ... lets get that second one!