• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about a nest... (1 Viewer)

We have had the wonderful experience of having a House Finch make her nest in our front door wreath against the glass of the door. We got to see her lay her eggs and the eggs hatch and now in a few days the nest will be empty. I haven't seen the parents in about a week, which being new to bird watching makes me concerned that the baby that is left is being cared for, however my question is once the baby is gone can we take the nest down since its causing quite a mess on our front door and the glass? I don't want to upset the adult birds at all or break any laws. Thanks for your help. Oh and is it normal for the parents to leave the babies after caring for them for a week? I would have thought that they would have stayed with them for the duration of their time in the nest.

Thanks again,

Tracy

Oh and I attached a picture of my baby House Finch that I will miss so much since in a few days it will be time to fly away. :flyaway:

Attachments

• Baby.jpg
    Baby.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 169
If there is a chick left in the nest and the adults doesn't visit it anymore, it will probably die. Having said that, I doubt the adults have been away for a week (perhaps they sneaked in while you weren't watching), as the chick wouldn't be able to survive for such a period without food. Regarding the nest afterwards: Yes, you can remove it then. No problems in that sence.

Thank You for sharing the photo and Good Luck with the left-over chick...

Rasmus Boegh said:
If there is a chick left in the nest and the adults doesn't visit it anymore, it will probably die. Having said that, I doubt the adults have been away for a week (perhaps they sneaked in while you weren't watching), as the chick wouldn't be able to survive for such a period without food. Regarding the nest afterwards: Yes, you can remove it then. No problems in that sence.

Thank You for sharing the photo and Good Luck with the left-over chick...

Do the parents usually keep a distance from the babies at a certain point? I'm not home all the time so the mom could be there when I'm at work. The baby seems to be thriving...I would be devastated if anything happened to it.

At some point the parents will keep a distance, basically to get the chick to leave the nest. This will start to be apperent a short time before it is able to fly. Whatever the case, if the chick seems to be thriving, the parents are almost certainly around, and you should just let it be... Keep on enjoying the spectacle from a distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back