• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF/PR 65 (1 Viewer)

Sygus

Hello,

I'm planning to get me a scope, and the Pentax 65 is on my short list.

The PF-65 seems to be a good value, at least at low mag, but I'm wondering about the PR-65. Does anybody had a chance to compare PF and PR 65 scopes ? Is the new one still ok ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Hi,

the PR series seem to be quite heavy - 1.9kg for the 65mm and 2.4 for the 80mm - although that's including the zoom EP. Regarding the quality - from the two reviews I found, it seems to be hit&miss. One review of the 80mm couldn't get a sharp image at over 40x which is not reassuring while another of the 65mm model was mentioning good image quality although the 65mm model with the standard zoom only goes up to 45x.

Joachim

Hi,

the PR series seem to be quite heavy - 1.9kg for the 65mm and 2.4 for the 80mm - although that's including the zoom EP. Regarding the quality - from the two reviews I found, it seems to be hit&miss. One review of the 80mm couldn't get a sharp image at over 40x which is not reassuring while another of the 65mm model was mentioning good image quality although the 65mm model with the standard zoom only goes up to 45x.

Joachim

No problem getting a sharp image at 60x on the PF80 ED. Personally I wouldn't place too much store in one review. The problem is these new Pentax scopes are like rocking horse dodo. Very little information on the internet and not easy to try one out.

Hi,

that's right, one bad review is not a lot... but there's only two on the web...
If they weren't so heavy, one could try one and buy the demo if it's ok... but considering the weight, I don't know if I would consider it.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back