BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Birds & Birding (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Bird Houses (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=142508)

Chickadeedeedee Sunday 24th May 2009 23:43

Bird Houses

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some of our houses ...

The first has Starlings nesting inside. :t: The second has House Wrens. Black-capped Chickadees are setting up housekeeping in the third house ...... House Sparrows have noisy babes in the 4th house and ... House Wrens are in the last house too! :t: :-O

Who lives in your garden?

palval147 Monday 25th May 2009 14:28

A very nice selection of bird houses, Lydia. I'll go out later & take a few pics of ours, I think only one is in use though, Blue Tits in it, I think.

Kits Monday 25th May 2009 15:43

A fabby selection there, Lydia, and what a good idea for a thread!

We don't provide any bird houses, but we have masses of hedges and mature trees and shrubs which are nested in. I have realised that there is a blackbird nest in the Russian Vine along the front of the house, and there is another one in one of the large conifers to the side of the back garden. The wood store is home to a nest of blue tits.

Wendy Morris Monday 25th May 2009 16:49

The Blue Tits who inspected the new house earlier in the year did not take up residence. However, there are House Martins for certain on one end of the house, but not in a nest provided by us.

palval147 Tuesday 26th May 2009 00:14

5 Attachment(s)
I took some pics of our nest boxes.
The firestation house is only for show. I doubt any bird would nest in that one. My Son's idea of a joke.|:D|
The second box was the Blue Tits, but they have fledged, when I went to take the pic, they were all in the plum tree with their parents.

bill moss Tuesday 26th May 2009 10:55

Hi Lydia,

You're doing a hell of a lot better than I am. I've got 4 assorted boxes up and only one with tenants (Blue Tits in the Great Tit box).

I'm going to have to do some re-siting for next year.

Bill

Chickadeedeedee Tuesday 26th May 2009 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval147 (Post 1490361)
I took some pics of our nest boxes.
The firestation house is only for show. I doubt any bird would nest in that one. My Son's idea of a joke.|:D|
The second box was the Blue Tits, but they have fledged, when I went to take the pic, they were all in the plum tree with their parents.

The firestation house is lovely! I'd move in if it was a wee bit bigger. :t: We had a little ~Swiss Alpine Home~ which was supposed to be decorative rather than usable. Sparrows didn't know that or care and raised several broods in that little house.

palval147 Tuesday 26th May 2009 13:56

No bird has ever nested in the firestation, Lydia.|:d| But it isn't in an out of the way place like the other boxes.

Kits Tuesday 26th May 2009 14:38

I do like that firestation, Val! Given me quite a giggle!