BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Live Bird News from around the World (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Boat owners warned of seabird predators (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=376642)

Kits Friday 17th May 2019 12:56

Boat owners warned of seabird predators

Boat owners are being encouraged to check their vessels for animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds.

The National Trust, RSPB and National Trust for Scotland's new biosecurity campaign aims to protect puffins, Manx shearwater and European storm-petrel.

They fear colonies could be devastated if predators like rats, stoats and mink get to the birds' islands.

The campaign is part of a 700,000 biosecurity project.

Full article here

hwinbermuda Friday 17th May 2019 16:11

I fully support that boat and animal owners should check, 100% with that.

Anthropomorphising the animals and giving them credit to be able to plan, as in "animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds" I think is a step too far. Its like Farmer Tweedy in Chicken Run calling "Mrs Tweedy! The chickens are revolting!"

If the animals get to the Islands its bad, but do they really set out to get a boat there.
H

MJB Friday 17th May 2019 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwinbermuda (Post 3850272)
I fully support that boat and animal owners should check, 100% with that.

Anthropomorphising the animals and giving them credit to be able to plan, as in "animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds" I think is a step too far. Its like Farmer Tweedy in Chicken Run calling "Mrs Tweedy! The chickens are revolting!"

If the animals get to the Islands its bad, but do they really set out to get a boat there.
H

Mr Tweedy also stated "These chicken are organised!"
MJB

Farnboro John Friday 17th May 2019 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kits (Post 3850185)
Boat owners are being encouraged to check their vessels for animal stowaways trying to get to islands to prey on seabirds.

The National Trust, RSPB and National Trust for Scotland's new biosecurity campaign aims to protect puffins, Manx shearwater and European storm-petrel.

They fear colonies could be devastated if predators like rats, stoats and mink get to the birds' islands.

The campaign is part of a 700,000 biosecurity project.

Full article here

There's a rat in the ketch and what am I gonna do....

John

andyadcock Saturday 18th May 2019 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnboro John (Post 3850383)

John

Very good.....:t:

MJB Saturday 18th May 2019 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnboro John (Post 3850383)

John

"Stop that sketch! It's getting silly!": Graham Chapman, Monty Python c1970...

Oooops, sorry, you said 'ketch'. I must have misheard...;)
MJB

Farnboro John Saturday 18th May 2019 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJB (Post 3850575)
"Stop that sketch! It's getting silly!": Graham Chapman, Monty Python c1970...

Oooops, sorry, you said 'ketch'. I must have misheard...;)
MJB

"Do you want ketchup with your rat on a stick?"* CMOT Dibbler (I think: some Ankh-Morpork entrepreneur, anyway!)

John

* The answer was yes: have you tried rat on a stick without ketchup?