• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for a second scope? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

I'm after a second scope, as i do not want to mix and match equipment.

Firstly, main criteria is small physical size and specificallylight weight.

Secondly, it does not have to have HD/ED treated lenses or be APO etc.

Thirdly, main criteria is small physical size and specificallylight weight.

fourthly, the object is NOT to digiscope with this one, already have that gear.

Final consideration is eyepiece, again I have my zoom with my digiscoping setup so this one will be purchase with 24 - 32x e/p range.

This is going to be a reliable "small scope" used in good conditions (not marginal) to be carried with a pod or hide clamp for those occasions when one doesn't need to bring the kitchen sink.

Small Swaro or Leica 62 non- HD or APO interest me, but unsure of their specs.

Alternatively, and less long-windedly, does anyone have a site or link where i can find all tech info such as physical size and weight etc.

I have put this in the general section rather than post it in each individual manufacturers section.

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
well Opticron Might Midget 2 - £184 with 25x eye piece

length 17mm 21 mm when extended weight 454g. Very handy for the travelling birder

pduxon said:
well Opticron Might Midget 2 - £184 with 25x eye piece

length 17mm 21 mm when extended weight 454g. Very handy for the travelling birder

Certainly cheap enough, what about the eyepiece(s) isit of the wide type - does it take HDF Opticron pieces? - could come in handy as my dad is interested in his first scope and the idea of sharing eyepieces is a good one.

What is this scope 50mm 60mm? - actually, I'll go research now after all this is the idea of the web.

kowa 613

MEGA lightweight
small
optically excellent with fluorite glass

i use one most of the time with a shoulder pod, only taking my 'big' scope when absolutely necessary....

best purchase i made in years...for only £250 part x with my old TSN2

in all i got that and a Nikon 78 (new, warehouse express) for a total of £630 (that's an ED 78 mm and a fluorite 60 mm) Retail price mid 90s a cool £1700 min. Bargain, eh?

Tim

Absolutely Tim!

As you well know or may remember I also have the ED78 and all the bits and bobs, and now desire a lightweight setup (never satisfied I know).

I've looked at the MM2 you described Pete, and I have just remembered the little Bushnell collapsible Spacemaster thing I bought at Birdfair last year. It is very similar, but came with case, Both eyepieces, window mount, and aluminium case for bargain price of £199

Rarely used, maybe I should give it an outing or two - It's certainly light enough.

I'm not necessarily after a low-priced scope by the way... ;)

I had checked Opticron's site and also WE prices - I think I should add another criteria!

Looking at minimum of 60/65mm objective!

THere are just too many options in this game. Kowa search pending - wouldn't think i have loads to do with all the time I spend on here lol.

Last edited:
Have just read through this thread... if you want a cheap(ish) second scope it might be worth looking at the Opticron IS60. It retails at about £149 and is compatible with the HDF eyepieces, it's a nice little scope, compact and lightweight. It has a 60mm objective and gives a good image, especially with an HDF on it.

The 50mm Kowa that Tim mentioned is almost certainly not what you are looking for. As well as the obvious problem of the small objective the eyepeices cannot be changed, which is not great. That said they are amazingly light (just 380g) and can be picked up new for about £110 with the 20x eyepiece. I do have one of these scopes and would not be without it - it is ideal for travel and when just out and about. I've even taken mine to friends weddings, just tucked in the bag in case...

You mentioned the Swaro and Leica 60mm scopes. I don't have much experience of the Swaro (though hear good things about it), but can say that the Leica 62 APO is a truely stunning scope. The image quality is almost as the 77 APO in all viewing conditions (I know a few people who have changed down to the 62 from the 77). However the weight (1080g) and price (about £640 plus eyepeice) both count against it as a second scope. Personally I think it's a real all-rounder, if I had one I'd be happy to let my little Kowa go, but not with the 77APO it's just two big to take with you at times. If you do go for the 62 APO I would not be suprised if it soon became your main scope.

Hi Steve, I agree with postcardcv about the 62 APO. Just purchased this scope for my wife she has recently had a neck operation so the weight factor was a big cosideration. It is a cracking scope, I bought it with the zoom lens and comparing it with my ATD80HD I was quite envious. Really like the focusing wheel and the zoom eyepiece is really smooth, image quality and clarity are superb, although not cheap (£938 with Leica case and eyepiece from WHE ) I would highly recommend it, hope this helps. ;)

quick comparison

Leica 62mm non ED 1080g £640

Kowa 613/4 (60mm) Fluorite/ED 750g Don't know where u can get one now though. Then last ones from warehouse express have gone I think

Kowa should win on price, weight and image quality. Leica better built and harder wearing and more than adequate image wise etc. You'd be happy with both i guess!

Tim

I would recommend the Leica 62 APO as well...have lugged mine around extensively for a couple of years and it really isn't heavy.
Surprised anyone(even Tim)would think the Kowa has better image quality, but everyone to their own I suppose.

FWIW - the Kowa 613 is still available from W/E at £499 with lens, tripod and SOC.

as you already have a Nikon Fieldscope how about picking up the Fieldscope III? The Non ED version costs £249 straight and £299 angled the ED is S - £549 and A - £599. You could use the lens from your ED78. If you want a second eyepiece then WE are doing an offer on non ED FS III. e.g soc and 30w lens for £100.

weight is similar to the Leica 62 1100g

If you are after really small size/weight then look at the IS60 however don't dismiss the little midget 2 - I'd have a look through it first.

Grousemore said:
I would recommend the Leica 62 APO as well...have lugged mine around extensively for a couple of years and it really isn't heavy.
Surprised anyone(even Tim)would think the Kowa has better image quality, but everyone to their own I suppose.
Tim was talking about the non-APO Leica vs. the fluorite-Kowa - and I think he might well be correct on this. I personally would take almost any fluorite/ED scope from the likes of Kowa/Opticron over non-ED Leicas or Swaros.

Ilkka

iporali said:
Tim was talking about the non-APO Leica vs. the fluorite-Kowa - and I think he might well be correct on this. I personally would take almost any fluorite/ED scope from the likes of Kowa/Opticron over non-ED Leicas or Swaros.

Ilkka

Indeed Tim does state that it is the non-Apo Leica he was comparing to the Kowa 613, and I'd agree that he Kowa would be the better bet image wise. However the price of £640 that he quoted is the price for the APO version, the normal one comes in at £440 (though it is not a scope I would recommend). If you can afford an APO version the Leica is well worth a look, if you are looking at the standard version I'm sure you'll find a better scope for the money. In side by side testing of the Leica 77, the APO 77 and the Opticron ES80 the APO 77 came out the clear winner. However the ES80 (which at the time was about £200 cheaper than the standard Leica) out performed the non-APO 77 in all veiwing conditions. Although I have not tested the 62s in the same way, I am sure from what I've seen that the results would be the same.

Quacker said:
Alternatively, and less long-windedly, does anyone have a site or link where i can find all tech info such as physical size and weight etc.
I have often found this kind of info here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=1032
Open a product and then click on the "Specifications" tab. :t:

Ilkka

ps. I agree completely with postcardcv about the small APO Leica. [OPINION]I just refuse to see the justification of existence of the non-APO Leicas or Swaros [/OPINION].

bad luck Trev

as everyone else has noticed a Kowa 613 will have a better image than a non APO leica 62
Pete's recommendation of the Nikon is well worth considering too - a fine scope

Tim

How about the Zeiss 65mm Diascope? Cheaper than the Leica or Swaro, and just as good.

Best,
Bill

Quacker said:
I'm after a second scope, as i do not want to mix and match equipment.

Firstly, main criteria is small physical size and specificallylight weight.

Secondly, it does not have to have HD/ED treated lenses or be APO etc.

Thirdly, main criteria is small physical size and specificallylight weight.

fourthly, the object is NOT to digiscope with this one, already have that gear.

Final consideration is eyepiece, again I have my zoom with my digiscoping setup so this one will be purchase with 24 - 32x e/p range.

This is going to be a reliable "small scope" used in good conditions (not marginal) to be carried with a pod or hide clamp for those occasions when one doesn't need to bring the kitchen sink.

Small Swaro or Leica 62 non- HD or APO interest me, but unsure of their specs.

I have put this in the general section rather than post it in each individual manufacturers section.

Regards

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back