• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hbw 10? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Hbw 10

Has anyone seen HBW Vol.10 already? It's supposed to be shipped.

Last edited:
HBW Vol 10 has arrived

Swissboy said:
Has anyone seen HBW Vol.10 already? It's supposed to be shipped.

Well, as luck would have it, the new volume has been waiting for me at the post office without me knowing it when I posted my question. So here is a quick first review:

As we have by now all become accustomed, this is another splendid volume in this extraordinary series! The present volume has 895 pages, 66 of them are just needed for the references. At first sight, this volume might look a bit less spectacular than the previous ones. In particular, it starts with the cuckoo-shrikes, many of which are basically grey and white. Thus, plate 1 looks as if it had been printed without colors. However, there are plenty of colorfull birds in this volume. And the standard of the plates would seem to be even higher than so far.

There is, however a negative aspect as well: The paper chosen in this volume is a bit thinner than in the previous one. This has particularly negative effects for those plates that have text printed on the back, as this text tends to shine through! :storm:

For temperate-zone birders in Europe and to some extent in North America, this volume contains more well known families than previous ones. A large part is used for the wrens and the thrushes, both of which have a very high number of species. It is, for example, very interesting to note how often the basic color pattern of the European blackbird has been repeated all over the world within the thrush family. On the other hand, there are also some single-species families such as the hypocolius and the palmchat.

The family accounts are prefaced by a very interesting chapter on introduced bird species. :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back