• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rüppell's weaver, juveniles or females (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

By the help of this forum I got the bird in picture #1 identified as a juvenile Rüppell's weaver. Picture taken in the Goda Mountains

I was in Assamo (Picture 2-5) and the area was full of Rüppell's weavers building nest so I just assume this is females. One male was building a nest and every now and then the bird got down to a tree to sit next to a female or if it was a juvenile before continuing with the nest

VIDEO

Information about the Rüppell's weaver on the internet is really not much. Anyone know how to tell the difference between the juvenile and the female?

And I have two bird books, the Svensson and the A Field Guide to the Birds of Thailand and South East Asia by Craig Robson. Both very good, anyone that can recommend a book about African birds with the differences explained?

Kind regards
Aladdin

Flickr
Instagram
www.xeno-canto.org

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm not sure what the difference is, if there is one.

The book you need would be this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Horn...39572760&sr=8-1&keywords=birds+horn+of+africa

If you're ever in Dubai, you can find it in Kinokuniya in Dubai Mall. Birds of the Middle East wouldn't cover many of the species that occur there.

WOW! Cheers!

As we're speaking I'm looking at a bird Guide for a few days in Dubai as I might go there in a few weeks for a few days of birding.

Then I will go to buy the book you have recommended.

Thank you very much
Aladdin

Dubai

I'm not sure what the difference is, if there is one.

The book you need would be this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Horn...39572760&sr=8-1&keywords=birds+horn+of+africa

If you're ever in Dubai, you can find it in Kinokuniya in Dubai Mall. Birds of the Middle East wouldn't cover many of the species that occur there.

Sorry to disturb you again

I saw you UK flag, but now I see your location

I have been in contact with a few companies in Dubai. I look for a private guide/ car and ABC Tours have told me that they can do a half day. Longer would be a waste of time as it is 95% desert and not much to see

I have been searching and it looks to me that I can easily kill 2 or 3 days in UAE looking for birds full days

What do you think? Will it be any problem to go bird watching 2 or 3 days and see different things every day? Djibouti is very small but I have seen totaly different land scapes every day.

Do you have any recommendations for a Guide? Or if you do guiding and have the time I can pay you full day rate as well

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Hi Aladdin,

I don't usually guide and as I live in Abu Dhabi, 130-140 km from Dubai, don't get over to the Dubai area that often. The best sites (for birds like Crab Plover and mountain species) are well north of the city. On your own, you could bird Mamzar Park and Ras al Khor - both could be reached by taxi. Safa Park is a shadow of its former self, unfortunately. With a rental car and making use of GPS or Google Maps, you could get to the more remote sites in RAK or Fujairah. See details here:

http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

Try these contacts for guiding:

http://www.uaebirding.com/uaecontact.html

It seems thought that several of the guys have given up or reduced the amount of guiding they do.

those with red iris are sub adult males, they usually start building nests these days because mastering the right technique need many many trials. i know that as already one started to do nests right infront of my bed room window.

so picture 2 and 3 are for males.

i live in Jeddah, this is a very common bird here and all of South west Arabia.

Hi Aladdin,

I don't usually guide and as I live in Abu Dhabi, 130-140 km from Dubai, don't get over to the Dubai area that often. The best sites (for birds like Crab Plover and mountain species) are well north of the city. On your own, you could bird Mamzar Park and Ras al Khor - both could be reached by taxi. Safa Park is a shadow of its former self, unfortunately. With a rental car and making use of GPS or Google Maps, you could get to the more remote sites in RAK or Fujairah. See details here:

http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

Try these contacts for guiding:

http://www.uaebirding.com/uaecontact.html

It seems thought that several of the guys have given up or reduced the amount of guiding they do.

Cheers andyb39
Great! Thanks for the links and I will check it out

Kind regards
Aladdin

maybe you find this thread useful.

Thank you very much ammadoux

I will go through my pictures with the very useful information in your link. It was interesting reading and I have not managed to find much about the bird. I was recommended a book by andyb39 that I will buy

Aladdin

those with red iris are sub adult males, they usually start building nests these days because mastering the right technique need many many trials. i know that as already one started to do nests right infront of my bed room window.

so picture 2 and 3 are for males.

i live in Jeddah, this is a very common bird here and all of South west Arabia.

Hello ammaoux

I have studied your link, excellent pictures by the way.
My pictures 2+3 is a juvenile male with the red eyes
My picture 1+4+5 is juvenile if I understand your pictures right. Pattern on the back / wings (Feather edges) are greyis/ whitish

If this patterns are yellow it is an adult female if I see it right on your pictures.

Many of them are building their nest and I made a video and it looked very funny with the male weaving the nest coming down to find building material and with some breaks for lunch.

There was also one bird looking like a female and every now and then the male went to see her on a branch and it looked like she was giving directions and he was seeking approval for their nest

Aladdin

Thank you very much ammadoux

I will go through my pictures with the very useful information in your link. It was interesting reading and I have not managed to find much about the bird. I was recommended a book by andyb39 that I will buy

Aladdin

Do you read Arabic Aladdin?

Do you read Arabic Aladdin?

Hello

No I don't read arabic. But I can say hello in Somali after my visit to Djibouti.

By the way, looked at your flicker account, EXCELLENT pictures you have taken!!! Gorgeous birds!

Aladdin

here are some few observation about this naughty bird in my garden.

http://ammadoux.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_16.html

maybe you can find someone to translate it for you.

WOW!!!!!

I dont understand anything, but the pictures, amazing!

You have never considered to do it in English?

Arabic or not, I will link to your page from my page if you don't mind.

One question, I have started to do videos and lack of practice maybe but they are not very comfortable to look at. I used my D5 and thern a smal G7 but not any good.

Now I bought a Panasonic video camera and it is shaky.

What do you use for video camera? Are you using tripod?

What lens are you using for your camera?
I have 3 Canon:
70-200 f2.8
28-300
100-400 f4.5-5.6 that I bought before going to Djubouti

I wanted to buy the 400 f2.8 but it have a hefty price tag so I went birding with my friend that have the lens to try it out.

EXCELLENT LENS but is too big for me, he had to use a tripod and then I will go amiss of the enjoyment to just walk along looking for birds enjoying a day out.

By the way, all the pictures, are they from your garden? You must have a serious garden, a must stop for all bird watchers going to SA :)

I have been to SA but never to look for birds and after having seen all your beauties I might go one of those days

Aladdin

WOW!!!!!

I dont understand anything, but the pictures, amazing!

You have never considered to do it in English?

Arabic or not, I will link to your page from my page if you don't mind.

One question, I have started to do videos and lack of practice maybe but they are not very comfortable to look at. I used my D5 and thern a smal G7 but not any good.

Now I bought a Panasonic video camera and it is shaky.

What do you use for video camera? Are you using tripod?

What lens are you using for your camera?
I have 3 Canon:
70-200 f2.8
28-300
100-400 f4.5-5.6 that I bought before going to Djubouti

I wanted to buy the 400 f2.8 but it have a hefty price tag so I went birding with my friend that have the lens to try it out.

EXCELLENT LENS but is too big for me, he had to use a tripod and then I will go amiss of the enjoyment to just walk along looking for birds enjoying a day out.

By the way, all the pictures, are they from your garden? You must have a serious garden, a must stop for all bird watchers going to SA :)

I have been to SA but never to look for birds and after having seen all your beauties I might go one of those days

Aladdin

Hello

thanks for you kind comments, not much bird species residents in the garden but many stop by on there way in there migration along the red sea shore. and they do that all over Jeddah.

for video i think the G7 is a good one, if you use it with one of lumix fabulous lenses, i have the 100-300mm and its OIS is really reliable.specially the GII. this lens has a good price, yet very good glass and quite sharp. not sure if the f5.6 is good for you, but it works fine here.

maybe its better if you ask in Lumix or cannon sub forum, they will help you better.

best regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back